Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
It's just Whiskey Lake rebranded. OEMs got mad and demanded they up the naming I figure.

This seems more plausible to me than the claim from IntelUser2000 because there is no sign of a Comet Lake-U 4+2 existence.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Intel® platform codes
Apollo Lake: IAP, Broadwell: IBD, Braswell: IBR, Broadwell: IBW, Baytrail: IBY, Cannonlake: ICN, Haswell: IHH, Kabylake: IKB, Skylake H: ISH, Skylake: ISK, Skylake U: ISU, Skylake Y: ISY,
Skylake Z: ISZ, Gemini Lake: IGM, Whiskey Lake: IWL

No Comet Lake listed by Lenovo.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
This seems more plausible to me than the claim from IntelUser2000 because there is no sign of a Comet Lake-U 4+2 existence.

Amberlake is Kabylake-Y rebranded(CPU/GPU/PCH, everything). It's like they are almost aware of people speculating and want them to not know its not new at all.

Coffeelake, no, Kabylake barely deserves its new code-name. Yet Goldmont Plus exists. Yea, they are definitely aware of us. They want to lower attention from the less profitable small cores and more towards their Core chips. Really a desperate thing to do though to rebrand code names.

They could name it to whatever lake they want and still essentially be a refresh.

Last edited:

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
So... Is there anything interesting coming up for the 15W bracket in 2019? Or is it all up in the air still? I've been meaning to upgrade my 2015 Broadwell (5300U) laptop in 2019 (actually planned the upgrade for 2018 from the beginning), but if there's no node change and/or real architecture refresh planned, I might as well just buy something right now.

I usually buy laptops with integrated graphics and it definitely bothers me that current chips use three years old tech. Performance wise, it's barely an upgrade over my old Broadwell. Not that you can use an integrated GPU for much anyway, but it's still a sad state compared to what we "should" have had by now.

The CPU side will obviously be a decent upgrade, though, with quad core and much higher boost frequencies.

EDIT: I guess a 7nm Zen 3 based mobile CPU would be interesting, but those might also far off into the future?

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So... Is there anything interesting coming up for the 15W bracket in 2019? Or is it all up in the air still? I've been meaning to upgrade my 2015 Broadwell (5300U) laptop in 2019 (actually planned the upgrade for 2018 from the beginning), but if there's no node change and/or real architecture refresh planned, I might as well just buy something right now.

Icelake is still coming for mobile in 2019 (U/Y, maybe H). The volume may not be that high though. The leaks have only talked about Comet Lake U being 28W only but Intel could of course just sell 15W models or rebrand Whiskey Lake.

Could be a real big improvement in MT and the GPU at the 15W level.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
well intel and amd need to introduce something mobile 15W or apple will laugh at them (already doing, just more)
WTB icelake surface pro

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
It's just Whiskey Lake rebranded. OEMs got mad and demanded they up the naming I figure.

I have to add something. There is a Whiskey Lake V0 stepping in the works labeled as 2019 product, pretty sure this is the 9th gen refresh leak from Lenovo, it's not a pure renaming though. This info comes from a ww34 document (late August), it's not even new. Claiming there won't come 10nm ICL-U in 2019 based on this is over the top therefore.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I have to add something. There is a Whiskey Lake V0 stepping in the works labeled as 2019 product, pretty sure this is the 9th gen refresh leak from Lenovo, it's not a pure renaming though. This info comes from a ww34 document (late August), it's not even new. Claiming there won't come 10nm ICL-U in 2019 based on this is over the top therefore.

Ah interesting. Does make it sound like the only difference is the new stepping that supports the 32 GB modules but I guess they could tweak the clocks if they really wanted.

Kaloi48

Jun 2, 2016
As GT3 SKU only according to older roadmaps, in this case it doesn't matter.

From what I've heard from reliable leakers, there are Comet Lake-U 6+2 and 4+2. The basic version (LPDDR3) of Comet Lake-U will come out first and then followed by the performance version that supports LPDDR4X in 2020.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
Icelake is still coming for mobile in 2019 (U/Y, maybe H). The volume may not be that high though. The leaks have only talked about Comet Lake U being 28W only but Intel could of course just sell 15W models or rebrand Whiskey Lake.

Could be a real big improvement in MT and the GPU at the 15W level.
Thanks. I'll probably wait it out until the middle of 2019 and see where things are going.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
From what I've heard from reliable leakers, there are Comet Lake-U 6+2 and 4+2. The basic version (LPDDR3) of Comet Lake-U will come out first and then followed by the performance version that supports LPDDR4X in 2020.

I would say this is nonsense, I mean 6+2 ULV on 14nm, reliable leakers lol. Clearly rubbish.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I would say this is nonsense, I mean 6+2 ULV on 14nm, reliable leakers lol. Clearly rubbish.

Doesn't make sense to me either. 6+2 14nm at 15W(even 25W) is going to run real bad. Even 4+2 can't Turbo very high. The whole LPDDR4X support doesn't make sense either. They'll need a new die for that.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
2800-2900 score in Timespy Physics is comparable to 4 core 15W U chips like the 8250U, 8550U.

Forgot to mention on this, you can't really tell what Physics test it is. It could be Fire Strike or Cloud Gate even.

I do wonder if it's actually 1 Icelake core (with HT turned off) + 4 Tremont cores. 2+4 would make more sense but maybe they could only fit one in the TDP on the new 10 nm process, especially given they are using Tigerlake's bigger CPU core.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Forgot to mention on this, you can't really tell what Physics test it is. It could be Fire Strike or Cloud Gate even.

I kinda thought it was already given, but its not.

What's the point of a leak without details? This TUM_APISAK guy is an idiot.

Social media networks are a plague, with their thumbs-ups and likes. How many twitter people are doing it just to get those?

Mar 10, 2006

I do wonder if it's actually 1 Icelake core (with HT turned off) + 4 Tremont cores. 2+4 would make more sense but maybe they could only fit one in the TDP on the new 10 nm process, especially given they are using Tigerlake's bigger CPU core.

You make a lot of assumptions. Why would Lakefield be using the Tiger Lake core?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
People might've said that about a 4+2 part on 14nm...and yet, here we are.

Unlike in desktops, if you fudge about TDP, then vendors won't accept that. They might have had some headroom to allow a 4+2 part, but a 6+2 one?

Hooray for a move away from LPDDR3!

If 10nm is that hopeless, maybe we can at least hope for Comet Lake having minor architectural tweaks. I am veering towards that rumor being false though.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You make a lot of assumptions. Why would Lakefield be using the Tiger Lake core?

The new Icelake is using Tigerlake's CPU core changes, including the increase to 512 KB L2/core. Lakefield would obviously need to use that for the Icelake portion since it will also need to be on the new process.

Mar 10, 2006
The new Icelake is using Tigerlake's CPU core changes, including the increase to 512 KB L2/core. Lakefield would obviously need to use that for the Icelake portion since it will also need to be on the new process.

Why do you assume that the "original" Ice Lake didn't have 512KB of L2$ per core.

Also, do you think that the SoCs called "Tiger Lake" that come out will have an n+1 generation core inside of them, too?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Why do you assume that the "original" Ice Lake didn't have 512KB of L2$ per core.

Twitter rumors and that very old 2017 Icelake Geekbench result which some people thought was fake but looks very real now (although obviously not relevant)

Also, do you think that the SoCs called "Tiger Lake" that come out will have an n+1 generation core inside of them, too?

It's possible. Intel had originally planned for a third 10 nm called Alder Lake.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
m1N3APz.png

Intel is showing Icelake at IA day. Sunny Cove == Icelake. HotHardware posted this on twitter then quickly removed due to the NDA that ends at 9am ET Wednesday

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Sunnycove is Sunnycove.
Icelake is Icelake.

They shouldn't be the same since.. Sunnycove was developed together with Skylake. I assume Sunnycove core has simply acquired up to Icelake ISA compatibility.

Icelake being based on Skylake-SP. Sunnycove being a new core and having a more optimized FPU for SHA-NI(Goldmont/Cannonlake ISA) and VAES(Icelake ISA).

Sunnycove being a 14-nm part, points toward this being a good thing. *shrug* I have previously talked about Sunnycove being 10-nm, but newer NGC leaks say 14-nm and 7-nm only.

Sunnycove -> No server part
WLcove -> Sapphire Rapids
Oceancove -> Granite Rapids

Last edited: