Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
any hints on ice lake IPC? any leaked numbers?

Don't expect much but given all the free time the Icelake team has had, they could have pulled in some new features from later designs. Plus the additional benefit of the Spectre/Meltdown hardware fixes.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I really don't see companies fretting as much about server socket changes as enthusiasts do about desktop socket changes.

It's not as much the socket compatibility, but really OEM development of systems and all the planning involved. Especially as the article states there's no guarantee that either will actually ship since Cooper Lake looks like it is being hastily put together while Icelake is 10 nm. If they were using the same socket it wouldn't matter so much to the OEMs.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Sounds like Intel is going to release Icelake, for "holiday 2019" (read: November). Not entirely clear if it's just Y or U/Y or the whole lineup. But they are really going to release server parts soon after, so the leak about a Q1/2 launch of Icelake Server is true...even if it is a paper launch.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
The term holiday is a bit vague when it comes to Intel. Last year KBL-R was described as holiday refresh

kblyme65.png

Launch date was on 21th August.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
With AVX512 on the client version of Icelake, they really had no choice but to bump up the L2 cache. I actually expected 1mb like the server (SP) siblings.

Skylake-SP has a second 512-bit unit though. I wouldn't rule out Intel going to 2x512-bit units with Icelake but that seems like a waste of space. It's probally still 2x256 like Cannonlake.

The earlier geekbench leak had Icelake with 256 kb (although the L1D got bumped).

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I have to continue exploration, but here goes:
Cannonlake consumer, Icelake consumer, and Tigerlake consumer will not see the channel.

The channel is the socket LGA series. The above three will not see it, what are consumer going to get instead?
2019 -> Skylake Revision 4
2020 -> Bottom-up new core

Intel is skipping over 10nm in the channel consumer market for 7nm. Skylake Octo-core Gen 2(i9-9900K refresh) to New-core on 7nm.

Particulars of the new core allows it to operate as one HP core or several LP cores. In the vein of similarity as POWER9's SMT4(24-core) or SMT8(12-core) same die/same amount of slices designs. Intel's version however allows for user control so core partition 0/1/2 can be HP while 3 can be LP. Except, I'm probably butchering it and there is also a hint of a hybrid mode(1 Mid core + x LP cores) as well.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
No. Murthy clarified that the 10nm parts on shelves in H2'19 (if you believe that date) will indeed be for consumers, and servers will "ship soon after"
OEM parts are for 10nm, Channel parts are 14nm till 7nm.

i7-8559U -> Refresh 1 -> Icelake-U(BGA) + Icelake-SP(BGA)
While, LGA series will go from Skylake Refreshes to new core.

Icelake-U will still appear in systems. It just won't be PUT THE CPU in the socket sort of system.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
So when can we expect a successor to 9700K/9900K on desktop? Will it be delayed because of 10/7nm?
Depends on what Intel means by "client systems" in Holiday 2019, if its ICL S/U/Y then you can expect it in Holiday 2019, if its ICL U/Y then expect it sometime in 2020.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
The term holiday is a bit vague when it comes to Intel. Last year KBL-R was described as holiday refresh.

While the CPU might have been available immediately on the launch date, laptops take extra time, so Holiday Refresh is accurate. If it was an LGA SKU yea, the date launched is date you could buy. Laptops need extra work.

The earlier geekbench leak had Icelake with 256 kb (although the L1D got bumped).

You mean the one with absurd latency figures and later flagged as inaccurate?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You mean the one with absurd latency figures and later flagged as inaccurate?

Yup. I think it is legit but may have been a test vehicle for something. Either way it is a year+ old so Intel could have made some more changes while they waited on 10nm.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
While the CPU might have been available immediately on the launch date, laptops take extra time, so Holiday Refresh is accurate. If it was an LGA SKU yea, the date launched is date you could buy. Laptops need extra work.

Launch late August, first laptops were available late September. The big bunch of laptops are later of course but this is not the question.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
So what kind of gpu does that get you?..compared to HD620?.
Is there a chance we don't get a gpu at all on desktop versions?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I really don't see companies fretting as much about server socket changes as enthusiasts do about desktop socket changes.
At least at my company, this is definitely not the case. They try to use the same mainboard across all racks. A new socket means bigger hardware outlay to get the new CPU which is expensive when multiplied across a data center. They regularly update the CPUs inside of the same socket whenever you can get a viable upgrade from it. Running single thread clock speed dependent workload so CPU is worth upgrading out of step from the mainboard.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Some Official Cascade/Cooper/ice Lake info:
https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/data-centric-innovation-summit/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1319...oadmap-cooper-lakesp-and-ice-lakesp-confirmed
  • Cascade Lake is a future Intel Xeon Scalable processor based on 14nm technology that will introduce Intel Optane DC persistent memory and a set of new AI features called Intel DL Boost. This embedded AI accelerator will speed deep learning inference workloads, with an expected 11 times faster image recognition than the current generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors when they launched in July 2017. Cascade Lake is targeted to begin shipping late this year.
  • Cooper Lake is a future Intel Xeon Scalable processor that is based on 14nm technology. Cooper Lake will introduce a new generation platform with significant performance improvements, new I/O features, new Intel® DL Boost capabilities (Bfloat16) that improve AI/deep learning training performance, and additional Intel Optane DC persistent memory innovations. Cooper Lake is targeted for 2019 shipments.
  • Ice Lake is a future Intel Xeon Scalable processor based on 10nm technology that shares a common platform with Cooper Lake and is planned as a fast follow-on targeted for 2020 shipments.
Anyone know if this "DL Boost" is new HW capability, or more like microcode re-use of existing instructions?

Last edited:

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Some Official Cascade/Cooper/ice Lake info:
https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/data-centric-innovation-summit/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1319...oadmap-cooper-lakesp-and-ice-lakesp-confirmed
  • Cascade Lake is a future Intel Xeon Scalable processor based on 14nm technology that will introduce Intel Optane DC persistent memory and a set of new AI features called Intel DL Boost. This embedded AI accelerator will speed deep learning inference workloads, with an expected 11 times faster image recognition than the current generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors when they launched in July 2017. Cascade Lake is targeted to begin shipping late this year.
  • Cooper Lake is a future Intel Xeon Scalable processor that is based on 14nm technology. Cooper Lake will introduce a new generation platform with significant performance improvements, new I/O features, new Intel® DL Boost capabilities (Bfloat16) that improve AI/deep learning training performance, and additional Intel Optane DC persistent memory innovations. Cooper Lake is targeted for 2019 shipments.
  • Ice Lake is a future Intel Xeon Scalable processor based on 10nm technology that shares a common platform with Cooper Lake and is planned as a fast follow-on targeted for 2020 shipments.
Anyone know if this "DL Boost" is new HW capability, or more like microcode re-use of existing instructions?
DL Boost is the marketing name for the DL capabilities of Xeon Scalable, which means VNNI with Cascade Lake (already used in Knights Mill), and Bfloat16 added with Cooper Lake.