Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
CFL is looking good. Can't wait to upgrade my 6700K in my gaming rig! Day one purchase for me.

I'm leaning heavily towards this CPU also. I'm more of a gamer so the likes of Threadripper is great but probably not suitable for me (and more expensive also).

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
@TheF34RChannel

I think we should keep all 14nm processors in the Skylake thread and make this one the Intel 10nm processor thread. So we'd lose CFL, Cascade and Saphire Rapids (7nm?). It's getting a bit confusing with CFL info in both threads. All IMHO :)

Reactions: french toast

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
@TheF34RChannel

I think we should keep all 14nm processors in the Skylake thread and make this one the Intel 10nm processor thread. So we'd lose CFL, Cascade and Saphire Rapids (7nm?). It's getting a bit confusing with CFL info in both threads. All IMHO :)

I've been musing about that for days now and I agree with you. How about I just shave off CFL from this one? Alternatively, I could close the entire thread so we can have one large Intel thread? At the time I made this one I didn't know that the large one keeps morphing alongside new CPUs.

Edit: Pending further thought I've changed it to only include Cannonlake, Ice Lake, Tiger Lake & Sapphire Rapid for now. @Ajay

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay and formulav8

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
CL is supposed to be the final 14 nm I think? So that should work fine taking out CL out of this thread.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
So which one of the "lakes" is supposed to be the next HEDT replacement of Skylake-X?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
So which one of the "lakes" is supposed to be the next HEDT replacement of Skylake-X?

Cascade Lake is Skylake-SP on 14nm++. Should be a drop in replacement for SKX on LGA 2066. I hope it's a bit more tenable for HEDT than SKX is (like, maybe don't cripple PCIe lanes, solder the dang IHS, etc.).

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
I have not been privy to this thread so have not read through the many posts except this page, I agree let's keep CFL in another thread.
What is the general consensus on icelake? When is it coming, what is expected/Intel info?
All i know it's 10nm+ new uarch, Q3/4 2018 release.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
The testing I have seen comparing all chips from sandy bridge to kaby lake in a clock for clock comparison showed improvements every time except for kaby lake which had zero or slightly negative gains. Is coffee lake expected to meet or exceed skylake clock for clock?

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I have not been privy to this thread so have not read through the many posts except this page, I agree let's keep CFL in another thread.
What is the general consensus on icelake? When is it coming, what is expected/Intel info?
All i know it's 10nm+ new uarch, Q3/4 2018 release.

Very little is known so far. In addition to what you said it's taped in, and the release window you listed seems about right.

Since it's a new uarch, it is likely beneficial to wait for Tiger Lake so Intel can iron out some kinks and get the maturity.

The testing I have seen comparing all chips from sandy bridge to kaby lake in a clock for clock comparison showed improvements every time except for kaby lake which had zero or slightly negative gains. Is coffee lake expected to meet or exceed skylake clock for clock?

For Coffee Lake please refer to the large thread made by Sweepr. Sorry to cut you off like this, but otherwise we never get CFL out of this thread.

Reactions: french toast

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I'm not sure now. :)

So for 14nm we have CFL (desktop + HEDT?) and Cascade Lake (server + HEDT instead of CFL?).

For 10nm we have Cannonlake (mobile only), succeeded by Ice Lake followed by Tiger Lake. The latter two are expected to have HEDT as well.

Then onto 7nm Sapphire Rapid (server only?).

If I got any of this wrong someone please correct me.

Last edited:
Reactions: formulav8

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
For 10nm we have Cannonlake (mobile only), succeeded by Ice Lake followed by Tiger Lake. The latter two are expected to have HEDT as well.

Then onto 7nm Sapphire Rapid (server only?).

As I've mentioned before Intel said that Server will be first for 10++ and 7, so it would make sense if they just simply skip Icelake Server after Cascade Lake and go straight to Tigerlake Server.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
As I've mentioned before Intel said that Server will be first for 10++ and 7, so it would make sense if they just simply skip Icelake Server after Cascade Lake and go straight to Tigerlake Server.

Thanks for the reminder. There's so many shifting lately I forget bits.