Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 447 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Pentium M wasn't that impressive against Athlon64, but it did make Pentium 4 look bad. What I meant by "excitement level" was OEM interest into making desktop systems based on a mobile CPU (in terms of packaging at least).

Pentium M achieved nearly same performance without the integrated memory controller or the Hypertransport bus and laptops based on it substantially increased battery life over both Pentium III and Pentium 4 predecessors.

Athlon 4 was the competition. It was faster and more efficient. Against Efficeon it was faster and just as efficient. It invalidated both.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
The Core series was based off Pentium M. That got Apple to switch to x86 and it almost bankrupted AMD.

I think that's a well known fact. Pentium M was great at what it was for, but not good at FPU code. Eventually Core fixed that. AMD almost bankrupted themselves by overpaying for ATi. Also but sitting on K8 for too long and K10 being a "meh" improvement. Meanwhile Intel was executing well.

Now this line from Anand did not age well:

While elements of the Pentium M architecture will undoubtedly make an appearance in the Pentium 4's successor, its dated P6 execution core will not.

From https://www.anandtech.com/show/1610/7

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
It seems as though Intel couldn't release Tiger Lake for the desktop because they didn't have the capacity for that and mobile. Rocket Lake could (kind of) fill in on the desktop for Tiger Lake, but not for mobile due to the power hungry nature of 14nm.

Something to remember is that these decisions are made well in advance. 10nm on desktop was decided before COVID even, and indeed what you stated is almost certainly the case.

This BGA effort is a product that takes almost zero effort from an engineering perspective.

I was merely pointing out that Intel’s biggest flaw is their inability to move/adapt at all. The second 10nm yields/capacity started improving, they should have worked on a halo product to exploit this. Shoot, they should have built a halo product regardless. A “special edition” desktop chip would have done wonders here.

Reactions: spursindonesia

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Pentium M achieved nearly same performance without the integrated memory controller or the Hypertransport bus and laptops based on it substantially increased battery life over both Pentium III and Pentium 4 predecessors.
I don't know why several people in this thread insist on giving me (well known) history lessons for something that was obviously said in a specific context.

So let's recap the obvious: Pentium M was the family of processors, not the architecture. It was built for mobile, and it was the performance and power usage numbers that got some people and some AIBs excited enough to port these mobile CPUs in the desktop environment. So when I originally posted this:
Excitement gauge: Pentium M level.
i was clearly talking about the kind of custom builds meant to accommodate a mobile CPU in a desktop environment. A few posts up I even put the original Anandtech article talking about this.

Furthermore, when I said that Pentium M wasn't that impressive against Athlon64.... it was again in the specific context of a custom desktop build, since that was how I brought the subject up in the first place. Whether the architecture was superior or revolutionary was not my concern, I was talking about products on the (desktop) market and their measured performance.

Last but not least, are we really gonna derail this thread and talk about Dothan / Yonah / Conroe simply because somebody had doubts about my intentions when making a joke?!

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Given what most gaming PCs seem to be devolving into, this seems like it should be wildly popular. Unfortunately, it is likely to be priced far higher than it needs to be.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pentium M, Banias and Dothan were released in 2003/2004 and were the direct successor to the PIII. It was originally a P6-based processor that was designed for mobile only applications. But at this point in time, about halfway through the P4's lifecycle it became apparent that the P4 was not going to reach 10GHz (!!!) and Intel had made a wrong turn with Netburst.

Pentium M for the desktop was the first effort to develop a "new" architecture alongside the ailing P4. Namely a CPU with an improved PIII front end, larger cache, P4 bus interface, among other improvements. I think Pentium M was kind of important because it led directly to Yonah, which of course if Core, and that is the architecture still being developed today by Intel. It was also a turning point for Intel as they realized they needed to move away from the P4 in the near future.

So how does this relate to the "Lakes?"
One hopefully learns from history right? Core has fallen behind Zen 3. Does Intel continue with the basic Core architecture and continue to improve it or do they look to development something new and very different? Is Alder Lake philosophically the equivalent to Pentium M of 2002/2003, or is it more a refinement/continuation of Core? I'm not sure. The Big/Little is something new, but the Golden Cove core from what we know so far seems to be very "Core-like."

Another possibility is that Intel will continue with Core Big only parts for the desktop for some time while the Big/Little design philosophy comes to fruition, which would parallel the parallel development of the Pentium/P4 from 2003 through 2006.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
One hopefully learns from history right? Core has fallen behind Zen 3. Does Intel continue with the basic Core architecture and continue to improve it or do they look to development something new and very different? Is Alder Lake philosophically the equivalent to Pentium M of 2002/2003, or is it more a refinement/continuation of Core? I'm not sure. The Big/Little is something new, but the Golden Cove core from what we know so far seems to be very "Core-like."

Intel's "new and very different" was Ocean Cove. But that was cancelled.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Can we buy this desktop cpu?

Not in a typical sense. Remember it's BGA, so if you have the motherboard developed and you only need the CPU from Intel then yes you'll probably be able to buy it.

But unless you are a super hardcore DIY that goes through the process of fully custom designing a motherboard to work with modern processors, you are likely a small company that needs the CPU to ship in their products. :)

Is Alder Lake philosophically the equivalent to Pentium M of 2002/2003, or is it more a refinement/continuation of Core? I'm not sure. The Big/Little is something new, but the Golden Cove core from what we know so far seems to be very "Core-like."

If you look at Zen 3, or even Apple M1, it does not deviate from the Core philosophy. They are just wider and bigger. So in that case they will not change.

Superscalar? Pentium.
Out of Order? Pentium Pro/Pentium II.
Micron Op Fusion? Pentium M
Macro Op Fusion? Core.
Physical registers? Done with Sandy Bridge.
uop Caches? Sandy Bridge again.

What needs to change is their focus on absurd, inefficient 5GHz+ frequency aim for something much less but much wider.

Pentium M might have it's ancestry based on Pentium II, but really it's the philosophy of going about it that changed. In a way Netburst is actually Pentium III philosophy continued. Because nothing really changed. Because in the Pentium III days you just needed to move to a fancy new process and voila! you get a much better CPU. Pentium M was when they decided "We need to be different in our approach, it's not about clocks. We might reach a point where the new process itself is not enough".

Netburst's 4-5GHz frequency target was reduced to 3GHz in Core right? So iterations of Core made it reach 4-5GHz again. So focus on going back down to the 3-4GHz range. Pretty much rinse and repeat at this point because as I've said it before and again, unless you are going exotic cooling, anything much higher than 5GHz is impossible.

Maybe this Hybrid thing will give them more flexibility in this regard but it doesn't change much if the big core portion is super large and inefficient.

Let's say if Core was efficient as Zen 3? Alderlake might have been 12+12.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So focus on going back down to the 3-4GHz range. Pretty much rinse and repeat at this point because as I've said it before and again, unless you are going exotic cooling, anything much higher than 5GHz is impossible.

The question is whether Intel's engineering team has any fresh ideas about where to go after Golden Cove.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Looks like Sapphire Rapids' "delay" to 2022 is common knowledge now.

The question is whether Intel's engineering team has any fresh ideas about where to go after Golden Cove.
Had any fresh ideas like 3 years ago so something like that. The output of these chips makers is like watching stars on the firmament, what you actually see is from way in the past.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Had any fresh ideas like 3 years ago so something like that. The output of these chips makers is like watching stars on the firmament, what you actually see is from way in the past.

Well yeah. That sort of goes without saying. At the present the only future designs I can think of off the top of my head are Raptor Lake and Meteor Lake, neither of which seem to be radical departures from Core design that would permit them to roll out an entire top-to-bottom product stack at clockspeed targets lower than today's 5 GHz. That's sort of what I meant when I said, "what else have they got beyond Golden Cove?". Raptor Lake sure doesn't seem like the answer (it seems to be more Golden Cove), and Meteor Lake . . .

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
At the present the only future designs I can think of off the top of my head are Raptor Lake and Meteor Lake, neither of which seem to be radical departures from Core design that would permit them to roll out an entire top-to-bottom product stack at clockspeed targets lower than today's 5 GHz.
It doesn't have to be a radical design change (as much as we would love to see something new), a gradual change in focus from clocks to PPC may be enough, and I believe @IntelUser2000 spoke about this as well, even in relation to Alder Lake and Golden Cove. The shift can be gradual, sacrificing 5-10% clocks at a time in favor of a more powerful core with lower max clocks.

That being said, if Golden Cove doesn't shift towards this new paradigm, then we'll probably have to wait quite a while longer: Raptor is clearly an evolution of ADL, Meteor looks like too big of a change in terms process node and packaging to expect a revolutionary move in architecture as well.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Not in a typical sense. Remember it's BGA, so if you have the motherboard developed and you only need the CPU from Intel then yes you'll probably be able to buy it.

But unless you are a super hardcore DIY that goes through the process of fully custom designing a motherboard to work with modern processors, you are likely a small company that needs the CPU to ship in their products. :)

If you look at Zen 3, or even Apple M1, it does not deviate from the Core philosophy. They are just wider and bigger. So in that case they will not change.

Superscalar? Pentium.
Out of Order? Pentium Pro/Pentium II.
Micron Op Fusion? Pentium M
Macro Op Fusion? Core.
Physical registers? Done with Sandy Bridge.
uop Caches? Sandy Bridge again.

What needs to change is their focus on absurd, inefficient 5GHz+ frequency aim for something much less but much wider.

Pentium M might have it's ancestry based on Pentium II, but really it's the philosophy of going about it that changed. In a way Netburst is actually Pentium III philosophy continued. Because nothing really changed. Because in the Pentium III days you just needed to move to a fancy new process and voila! you get a much better CPU. Pentium M was when they decided "We need to be different in our approach, it's not about clocks. We might reach a point where the new process itself is not enough".

Netburst's 4-5GHz frequency target was reduced to 3GHz in Core right? So iterations of Core made it reach 4-5GHz again. So focus on going back down to the 3-4GHz range. Pretty much rinse and repeat at this point because as I've said it before and again, unless you are going exotic cooling, anything much higher than 5GHz is impossible.

Maybe this Hybrid thing will give them more flexibility in this regard but it doesn't change much if the big core portion is super large and inefficient.

Let's say if Core was efficient as Zen 3? Alderlake might have been 12+12.

Zen 3 and Tiger Lake are within spitting distance of each other when it comes to efficiency. People see those big *scary* power spikes and assume that 10nm is not efficient, but we really don’t have a good comparison yet. In addition, as long as OEMs follow PL1 and PL2 recommendations, the Intel chip is very power efficient and cool. What really needs to happen is Intel needs to demand sane defaults from everyone. Modifying PL1/PL2 should require the user to opt in via the BIOS.

AMD can’t stop targeting high clocks because Intel won’t. People still to this day compare ghz between platforms. AMD could release a 2.5 ghz CPU that is twice as fast as a 5 ghz Intel one and people are still going to swear the Intel one is faster. I suspect we will see wider designs in the future paired with “fast” 5+ ghz cores. Those “fast” cores would actually be simplified for power efficiency. The wide cores would actually do the heavy lifting.

• Haha
Reactions: scineram and pcp7

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Zen 3 and Tiger Lake are within spitting distance of each other when it comes to efficiency. People see those big *scary* power spikes and assume that 10nm is not efficient, but we really don’t have a good comparison yet.
While this may end up being true at 95W+ TDP, for mobile your statement is simply incorrect. And we do have good comparison data already.
Hardware Unboxed tested TGL H45 and looked at performance with different TDP settings and boost disabled. This is a missing piece of the puzzle which shows that TGL H really likes more power, as increasing TDP towards desktop levels helps TGL catch up in terms of efficiency.

1622486199675.png

Add the SPEC MT results from Anandtech's review and you'll see why TGL falls behind Zen3 when it comes to efficiency in the sub 50W TDP range, meaning everything related to mobile.

1622486071717.png

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
While this may end up being true at 95W+ TDP, for mobile your statement is simply incorrect. And we do have good comparison data already.

Add the SPEC MT results from Anandtech's review and you'll see why TGL falls behind Zen3 when it comes to efficiency in the sub 50W TDP range, meaning everything related to mobile.

View attachment 45138
I dont doubt Zen is more efficient, but 35 watt zen is very close in performance to 45 watt TL, so the difference does not appear to be as outrageous as some claim. Of course, if one wants to make Intel look bad, you can cite the 65w figures, but that is kind of misleading, because 45 w is almost equal in performance to 65 w. And again, I thought it was well established that TDP is not equal to power consumption. Actually, I have a feeling that Intel "fudges" TDP more than AMD, so if actual power consumption were measured, it would make the numbers worse for intel, but who knows until we see actual numbers of real power consumption.

Reactions: Gideon

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I dont doubt Zen is more efficient, but 35 watt zen is very close in performance to 45 watt TL, so the difference does not appear to be as outrageous as some claim. Of course, if one wants to make Intel look bad, you can cite the 65w figures, but that is kind of misleading, because 45 w is almost equal in performance to 65 w. And again, I thought it was well established that TDP is not equal to power consumption. Actually, I have a feeling that Intel "fudges" TDP more than AMD, so if actual power consumption were measured, it would make the numbers worse for intel, but who knows until we see actual numbers of real power consumption.

This. I've yet to see a reputable site review the 11800h or 11900h, and definitely not with in depth benchmarks (not the kind I would run, anyway.)

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I dont doubt Zen is more efficient, but 35 watt zen is very close in performance to 45 watt TL, so the difference does not appear to be as outrageous as some claim.
35W Zen is close in performance to 45W TGL and you're unable to see a big efficiency difference there?! You do understand we're talking about a ~30% delta in power?

Of course, if one wants to make Intel look bad, you can cite the 65w figures, but that is kind of misleading, because 45 w is almost equal in performance to 65 w.
It has already been mentioned in this thread that the 65W figures are NOT representative for TGL performance on the Intel reference system, since the cooling could not sustain continuous 65W package power.

And again, I thought it was well established that TDP is not equal to power consumption.
We're not discussing performance/TDP as defined by both companies for their desktop lines, we're discussing performance/package power consumption expressed in Watts. Take a look again at the CPU Power Scaling graph from Hardware Unboxed, the X axis is clearly defined as such. Both Intel and AMD products have sensor data that accurately reflect package power consumption in real time, accurate enough for this type of comparison anyway.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Don't think it ever got any publicity, but Intel did end up releasing an Ice Lake Pentium in Q4 2020. I wonder what the actual cost difference is between it and the Tiger Lake Pentium that was also released in Q4.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
I find it amazing that no one is talking about the cooling efficiency of the reference Intel system. Surely, that counts too?

Reactions: lightmanek