Intel Comet Lake Thread

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
yea you need to read and address what was asked to you because you are not following. he was speaking of pcie4 and how 500gb drives that use it are not enthusiast drives. i didnt know he needed people to speak in his behalf, sure you can say your opinion but stating what you think they mean is kinda silly and he did straight say "anyone that buys a intel cpu is a fool" so.. ya..

also think that the 3300x is looking good wow 120$ and matches teh 3600 in a lot of things. (3600 is now 172 yesterday) to bad its little bit off topic but pleased to see.
This is a comet lake thread, not a laptop thread. And my comments were aimed at people thinking of buying COMET LAKE. I think its a joke, and I said why. stop talking around the subject.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
First. This was a comet lake thread, nothing to do with laptops, so Lets discount those comments. 2.5 and 10 gig lan at home ? where can you get that kind of internet speed ? And your ssd comment . 2tb for $240 ? well disk pricing is not linear.

As for over and over ? this reply was really was about Intel, not AMD.

The largest ISP in the US has a gigabit plan that clocks in at 1200 down. Just an FYI.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The largest ISP in the US has a gigabit plan that clocks in at 1200 down. Just an FYI.
And 2 things...

1) gigabit is not 10 gigabit.
2) what on earth do you need or could even USE at home with 10 gigabit ?

I had to copy a DVD iso image once, and it took 3 minutes on my gigabit system. So if I upgraded EVERYTHING to 10 gigabit, I get that in 18 seconds ? not worth it.

Edit: I thought 10 gigbit was for servers. in a server room. Server a sends data to server b and such. At home it seems like a real waste.

Reactions: scannall

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
I have a NAS which often has over 1GB/s read/write speeds so would require 8+ gigabits to use at capacity. I use surplus SFP+ adapters but I wish 10 gigabit ethernet was mainstream by now. I'd say it's one of those things that wouldn't hurt to have.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Perf is misleading because of the stock memory speed on the 7700K. Of course needing a Z board for 3200 does hurt the i3.
First of all, as you already said, going Z board for a $120 CPU is going to kill price/perf. Second of all, before posting I also checked the Hardware Unboxed review where everything gets tested with 3200 CL14, and 3300X still wins in productivity and matches performance in games.

At this point I'm not interested in the exact performance deltas, it would only be fair to wait for actual NDA liftoff on Comet Lake before we discuss details.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have a NAS which often has over 1GB/s read/write speeds so would require 8+ gigabits to use at capacity. I use surplus SFP+ adapters but I wish 10 gigabit ethernet was mainstream by now. I'd say it's one of those things that wouldn't hurt to have.
I have never used NAS, so I did not think of that. What would be stored there, that one computer could not just be the place to save it ?

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I have never used NAS, so I did not think of that. What would be stored there, that one computer could not just be the place to save it ?
Everything you want to store centrally if you use multiple devices that should have access to the same data. For me having a NAS was a godsend having central but private storage shared between all my computers, mobile and tablets without relying on some commercial/proprietary clouds somewhere else.

Reactions: Elfear

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
yea you need to read and address what was asked to you because you are not following. he was speaking of pcie4 and how 500gb drives that use it are not enthusiast drives. i didnt know he needed people to speak in his behalf, sure you can say your opinion but stating what you think they mean is kinda silly and he did straight say "anyone that buys a intel cpu is a fool" so.. ya..

also think that the 3300x is looking good wow 120$ and matches teh 3600 in a lot of things. (3600 is now 172 yesterday) to bad its little bit off topic but pleased to see.
My brain hurts. You're right, it was foolish of me to write you anything after I saw your comment with laptops in it. I'll think twice next time.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Everything you want to store centrally if you use multiple devices that should have access to the same data. For me having a NAS was a godsend having central but private storage shared between all my computers, mobile and tablets without relying on some commercial/proprietary clouds somewhere else.
pretty sure hes joking again, even my 3 year old knows what a local cloud server / nas is used for ;) the entire family uses it as a local netflix / game server / photo share / everything box. 1gb is great but 10gb is even better.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
And 2 things...

1) gigabit is not 10 gigabit.

I had to copy a DVD iso image once, and it took 3 minutes on my gigabit system. So if I upgraded EVERYTHING to 10 gigabit, I get that in 18 seconds ? not worth it.

Edit: I thought 10 gigbit was for servers. in a server room. Server a sends data to server b and such. At home it seems like a real waste.

I use my connection quite heavily. remote file copies to/from various cloud providers, other misc work related stuff. Also cloud backup/restores. For play, there is Steam as well as other stuff.

Being able to access remote stuff on demand is a huge thing for me.

Reactions: killster1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I use my connection quite heavily. remote file copies to/from various cloud providers, other misc work related stuff. Also cloud backup/restores. For play, there is Steam as well as other stuff.

But... even gigabit connects are like $1200 a month. I have 50/50mbit on fiber. No sense in getting a 10gigabit motherboard with less that one gigabit network access.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Steam library on a NAS???!

• Love
Reactions: lightmanek

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
But... even gigabit connects are like $1200 a month. I have 50/50mbit on fiber. No sense in getting a 10gigabit motherboard with less that one gigabit network access.
10000000000% sure you can get gigabit for less than 1200. Thought we already went over a slew of reasons someone might need more than 1gb nic. funny you mention backing up a dvd (who uses dvd's anymore :p ) blurays are 100gb.. seems like a weird topic we have gone off to tho

Markfw

May 16, 2002
10000000000% sure you can get gigabit for less than 1200. Thought we already went over a slew of reasons someone might need more than 1gb nic. funny you mention backing up a dvd (who uses dvd's anymore :p ) blurays are 100gb.. seems like a weird topic we have gone off to tho
I way talking to him about his network access. 1gbit is pretty much it, and its spendy. You want to link me a provider thats less than $1200 for gigabit access ?

And would you get back to comet lake ?

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

I get 1 Gbps up/down for $68/month. It's what happens when someone upsets the cable/telco landline cartels:

They have 10 Gbps up/down for $300/month, if that's how you roll.

Comet Lake/LGA1200 is not the first platform to offer built-in 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps, or 10 Gbps onboard either. AM4 had a few boards offering it last year. My board supports 5 Gbps though I don't use it. I'm not using a NAS.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I get 1 Gbps up/down for $68/month. It's what happens when someone upsets the cable/telco landline cartels:

They have 10 Gbps up/down for $300/month, if that's how you roll.

Comet Lake/LGA1200 is not the first platform to offer built-in 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps, or 10 Gbps onboard either. AM4 had a few boards offering it last year. My board supports 5 Gbps though I don't use it. I'm not using a NAS.

Makes me wonder if I could handle moving to TN or not. I'll check with my wife, brb. . .
That'd be a no, lol. Maybe one day fiber lines will make it to my house, one day.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Hitman928

The Internet is great. The rest? Ehhhh we'll see. We don't have many people dying around here either. Fingers crossed. EPB fibre almost didn't happen since Comcast got angry and tried to block it at the state level. They failed, so the next thing they did was lock EPB up in their own service area and prevent them from offering service to surrounding communities.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
@Hitman928

The Internet is great. The rest? Ehhhh we'll see. We don't have many people dying around here either. Fingers crossed. EPB fibre almost didn't happen since Comcast got angry and tried to block it at the state level. They failed, so the next thing they did was lock EPB up in their own service area and prevent them from offering service to surrounding communities.

Yeah, Comcast is pretty evil from everything I've seen/heard. There used to be more options in my area but anytime they would start to gain traction, one of the 2 big players would buy them out or pull shady stuff like that to force them out of business. Now it's just 2 but I guess that's better than a single option, even though only 1 of them delivers anything considered high speed by modern terms to my area. I should be happy with what I have, I know a lot of people, especially in rural areas, that have it much worse.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Embargo date on reviews is May 20th. Any bets on when we'll see widespread availability of chips?

If people can actually buy them, I think the 10400F might actually be an okay chip. It's like an i7-8700 for $180 tray. Okay maybe not quite that good since the boost is lower by 300 MHz. But it's getting close. That being said, it's targeted at a chip that's about to be replaced in, I guess September? And it retails for $172 on boards that will be cheaper than the boards you would get for the 10400F. If Intel can't flood the market with these things in the next 3 months, it's not going to do all that well.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
Embargo date on reviews is May 20th. Any bets on when we'll see widespread availability of chips?

If people can actually buy them, I think the 10400F might actually be an okay chip. It's like an i7-8700 for $180 tray. Okay maybe not quite that good since the boost is lower by 300 MHz. But it's getting close. That being said, it's targeted at a chip that's about to be replaced in, I guess September? And it retails for $172 on boards that will be cheaper than the boards you would get for the 10400F. If Intel can't flood the market with these things in the next 3 months, it's not going to do all that well.
Who knows with Intel. Probably mid summer. You can combine a 3600, a $20 cooler, with an $80 b450, and get it boost to 4.2+ all day while gaming. I just don't see how the 10400 competes with that. Best case scenario (while gaming) is you get it to hold 4 ghz on a b460 board. That's probably going to take removing the power and turbo duration limits in bios on a b460 board. You'll also need a $20 cooler. A board without VRM heatsinks will probably throttle under any serious load in that scenario. Throw in the RAM speed limitations along with all the other B & H chipset caveats and I just don't see it being viable. Not to mention AMD could drop the price of the r5's on launch day and make it a really silly proposition. I'm pretty confident Intel wouldn't lower prices in response.

I'm actually kind of worried that we'll see benchmarks of those CPU's on motherboards that don't enforce TDP with aftermarket coolers. Unsuspecting people will get duped into thinking they can toss a 10700 on a garbo b460 with the stock cooler and get the same results out of the box.

A 10700(f) with power and turbo limits removed, a $150 z490, and a $60 air cooler might be interesting. That would beat a 3700x/3800x at most things but would also potentially cost more. You could get away with a $100 b450 and the stock cooler with the Ryzen 7.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Rigg

Not the best leaked review, but there are some around making it look okay-ish. If it streets for less than the 3600 I can see people wanting it. But $180 or more? It's an uphill battle. We'll see more reviews ~2 weeks from now.

Reactions: Hitman928 and Rigg

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I think the i5 will be in a better place now than it ever was after the first Zen launch. Sure the 6c/6t was downright superior to Ryzen 1000 and 2000 in gaming, but it lost in productivity. Now the 6c/12t SKUs will offer a better performance mix relative to Ryzen 3000.

The clock is ticking though, consumers will have a feast in H2 2020 :cool:

Reactions: Hitman928

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
But they are related today. You don't buy a one core 5Ghz 9900K, you buy eight of them. That's how you get more performance out of it.
That's why I mentioned how we got to "today". We got here because at some point investing into adding cores made more sense than investing into faster cores. That's about it.
Comparing an old days multitasking OS with the new ones, there's so much going on in the background that even on new or old application that don't take advantage of more cpu cores a proper multitasking OS will use them, like a proper OS memory management system will use the RAM for caching if you bought more ram than the applications running need.
That's a popular misunderstanding.
Programs (precisely: algorithms) are generally single-threaded by nature. It's always a sequence of instructions.

Sometimes an algorithm can be run in parallel (usually by splitting the data it works on). Someone it can't => [*].
Creating a parallel program needs extra work, so sometimes it will be written as parallel and sometimes it won't be => [*].

[*] => some programs won't use more than one core. End of story.

OS scheduler doesn't make programs run parallel. It merely assigns software threads to CPU threads.
Anyone here decide on getting a 10900k or 10700k yet?
Not my segment, but I'll probably get the 10700 if I'm forced to replace my desktop before Alder Lake.

I'm also looking forward to TVB impact, i.e. 10700 vs 10900.
For the exact same reason people praise NVMe drives. Quicker access to data - this time kept remotely, not locally. Better PC experience overall.
Keep in mind some households have 4+ people. Sometimes a single person wants to watch a 4K movie, download a game on Xbox and upgade Windows.
Sometimes one person watches a movie and another one downloads a lot.
Generally speaking: the goal is to provide internet services with big headroom - to free people from worrying about compromises.
Everything that doesn't fit on a typical PC drive (256GB-1TB)
+ everything that you want to access from more than 1 PC
+ everything that you want to share with other people
+ ...

Honestly, It's a file server. Do we really have to describe what servers are for?

Also, NAS is quite a bit more than just a file server.
You're talking about high upload connection and these are more expensive in general.
Connections with lower upload are much more affordable. 1Gbps/60Mbps costs me under $20/month.

That said, I doubt I'd pay more than $100 for 1Gbps up and down.
Where did you get that $1200 from? Can you share a link to that ISP?
It's not important that we've already had motherboards with >=2.5Gbps.
What is important it will come with almost every PC - hence, becoming a standard. So we'll see 2.5Gbps NASes, 2.5Gbps switches and all that.

And ultimately, we will see consumer internet connections faster than 1Gbps. It didn't make much sense earlier.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
You want 10 mbit@home ? The cheapest 10mbit switch I saw on newegg was $544. go for it.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
That's a popular misunderstanding.
Programs (precisely: algorithms) are generally single-threaded by nature. It's always a sequence of instructions.

LOL, you are right, multi-threading at all scopes is totally pointless because everything boils down to a single instruction stream. Actually your point about algorithms is also wrong, but whatever.

Anyways, Comet Lake is DOA, anyone who doesn't see that needs to get their heads checked.

Reactions: Markfw