Intel Comet Lake Thread

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Many potato amd A320 pci3.0 motherboards can run at pcie4.0 speed, don't tell me you prefer the intel way, pcie4.0 motherboard that only runs at pcie 3.0 speed? Just pay for it, but please don't use it.:p

Never said I liked what Intel was doing, but let's be honest, any AMD chipset to date that is not x570 has at best buggy support for PCIe 4.0 with a beta UEFI that has long since been pulled from websites. And even then, only one PCIe slot could run at that speed. Meaning the one killer app for PCIe 4.0 this generation - NVMe SSDs - would be stuck at PCIe 3.0 on those older chipsets. PCIe 4.0 support on those boards was basically useless.

Intel probably needed more pins for power and might have needed more pins for PCIe lanes on Rocket. If everything goes the way I'm thinking it's going, Comet will have a ~6-8 month market lifespan before Rocket replaces it (or co-exists with it uncomfortably). We will see how well Intel sticks to their Q1 2021 timeline for Rocket Lake-S.

Reactions: ozzy702

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
"A fool and his money are soon parted" applies to most of the people buying Intel CPUs as of late (not all). Who care how high it can boost ? It barely beats Ryzen even at a ghz advantage, and gets destroyed at multicore and takes twice the power and heat, for the same or more money.

So your point is ? And we don't even have the benchmarks yet.... Until I think the 13th, 9 more days.
Who cares how high it can boost ?
Anybody that is stuck with bad software that can't be improved.
Anybody doing high frequency trading.
Anybody producing socks or anything with a machine that is only bound by how fast you can feed it.
Anybody that is running simulations.
Anybody that is running emulation.
Anybody that plans on buying a next gen GPU for gaming.

Ryzen needs liquid nitrogen and close to 2Vcore to reach ~5Ghz and is still slower than a CPU arch from 2015...
Ryzen needs more power and produces much more heat for less performance,intel is the perf/$ king for high clocks amd is the perf/$ king for throughput.
Some people need cores some people need clocks,stop pretending that only your opinion is the correct one.

Reactions: killster1

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
VideoCardz: MSI discusses Intel Comet Lake-S processors binning and overclockability

MSI has internally tested three Core series based on the batch received from Intel. According to their data, only 2% (Level A) of the Core i5-10600K(F) processors clock higher than Intel’s specifications, with the most (52% – Level B) of samples operating withing the specs. Up to 32% of the samples were considered lower quality (Level C). The Core i7 SKU offers similar quality across the batch tested by MSI. It is worth noting that both Core i5 and Core i7 are based on the same die.

On the other hand Core i9-10900(K/F) 10-core CPU has a different die. This could be a reason why the quality of the processor appears to be better for overclocking. Up to 27% of the samples tested by MSI were offering more overclocking headroom.

MSI-Intel-Comet-Lake-S-Package-Power-and-Voltage-1000x561.jpg

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
has at best buggy support for PCIe 4.0 with a beta UEFI that has long since been pulled from websites. And even then, only one PCIe slot could run at that speed. Meaning the one killer app for PCIe 4.0 this generation - NVMe SSDs - would be stuck at PCIe 3.0 on those older chipsets. PCIe 4.0 support on those boards was basically useless.
Well you are right, amd managed the 500 series (B550) release very badly because of that.
With the extreme long wait they should have just rebranded X470 into B550 and B450 into A520, and certify all the boards for pcie4 (just on the pcie lanes coming from the cpu) and leave the i/o still stuck at pcie2 and of course release the premium X570.
That would give them time for a proper complete new 600 series release.

Reactions: CHADBOGA

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Who cares how high it can boost ?
Anybody doing high frequency trading.
Anybody producing socks or anything with a machine that is only bound by how fast you can feed it.
Anybody that is running simulations.
Anybody that is running emulation.
Anybody that plans on buying a next gen GPU for gaming.

Ryzen needs liquid nitrogen and close to 2Vcore to reach ~5Ghz and is still slower than a CPU arch from 2015...
Ryzen needs more power and produces much more heat for less performance,intel is the perf/$ king for high clocks amd is the perf/$ king for throughput.
Some people need cores some people need clocks,stop pretending that only your opinion is the correct one.

Hahahahaha :laughing: . I'm not wasting time watching a video unless you provide some commentary or point out a relevant time. To say Ryzen is slower than Skylake is completely false. The 6700k only turbo'ed to 4.2GHz. Even today, Ryzen tends to do more work per GHz than Intel, except in games.

Then you list off a bunch of reasons. The only one that seems to be valid is HFT. How many of those do you think there are?

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
And that bad an probably old software will run on new OS with new hardware?

Let's hope the mouse and keyboard can also keep up.

Intel needs at least 2x the power at half the cores.

Ryzen needs more power and produces much more heat for less performance,intel is the perf/$ king for high clocks
First time hearing about that metric.

Some people need cores some people need clocks
Ouch for those people.

You know what you could have bought one amd FX9590 in 2013 if 5.0Ghz are so important to you. You already wasted 7 years of your life without it and time is still counting.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
You know what you could have bought one amd FX9590 in 2013 if 5.0Ghz are so important to you. You already wasted 7 years of your life without it and time is still counting.

Basically plan on the same amount of heat dissipation too. Which is... not impressive and honestly disappointing that we are being told with a straight face this is a product we should be interested in buying. We *all* had a laugh at that FX CPU when it came out, I think.

We mocked AMD for pursuing Netburst... and here we are with Intel back pushing an architecture well past it's power efficiency envelope, in a competitive situation I would have *never* contemplated 5 years ago.

The defense of this level of performance and this amount of power usage and all the overhead that comes with it is not going to age well at all IMO. Even Intel should make a mockery of it in a year or two...

Reactions: lightmanek

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
"A fool and his money are soon parted" applies to most of the people buying Intel CPUs as of late (not all). Who care how high it can boost ? It barely beats Ryzen even at a ghz advantage, and gets destroyed at multicore and takes twice the power and heat, for the same or more money.

So your point is ? And we don't even have the benchmarks yet.... Until I think the 13th, 9 more days.
well i have purchased 5 laptops in the past few years and all of them have been intel. i dont use integrated gfx, 8550u 8650u 8265u? and such, guess im such a fool but i couldnt find a amd lappy with anywhere near the specs for the $$. i gave away all the laptops except one, (usually buy one for vacation then give it away at the end of my vacation)
optane is a great feature, also because wifi is not as fast as cat7 then no one cares? 2.5gb lan is useful and 10gb is even better. i buy boards for the features always spending at least 200 to get all the latest things from it so i dont mind upgrading and giving away the old one i used before.

120$ for 500gb is enthusiast priced YES i would say so, i never have spent that much on such a small drive in the past 10 years. i opt for 2tb ex950 drives that are realistic and useful (for 240$) compared to a quarter of the sized for half the price (most likely not major brand as well no idea what drive you are talking about tho) we all dont have to have the same opinion and some would say yours seems hateful and wrong too, no need to invade every intel thread and post 100's of posts about how amd is so much better (ok i can see once twice three times but over and over?)

Just so wrong...

1) Integrated wifi ? Who cares every motherboard I have gotten in the last 2 years has it, but its performance if garbage compared to wired.
2) Thunderbolt 3 ? Who cares ?
3) AVX-512 .. Only a very few care about that.
4) Optane ? again, very few care about that.
5) 2.5 ghz lan ? most people onlt have 50 mbit internet service IF THAT, so again, who cares.
6) 2133 to 2933 memory ? Ryzen does a minimum of 3200, most Ryzen 3000 series do 3600.
7) Enthusiat priced ssds ? a 500 gig PCIE 4.0 for $120 ? Thats enthusiast priced ??????

Give it up please.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
First. This was a comet lake thread, nothing to do with laptops, so Lets discount those comments. 2.5 and 10 gig lan at home ? where can you get that kind of internet speed ? And your ssd comment . 2tb for $240 ? well disk pricing is not linear.

As for over and over ? this reply was really was about Intel, not AMD.

Reactions: Tlh97 and lobz

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
First. This was a comet lake thread, nothing to do with laptops, so Lets discount those comments. 2.5 and 10 gig lan at home ? where can you get that kind of internet speed ? And your ssd comment . 2tb for $240 ? well disk pricing is not linear.

As for over and over ? this reply was really was about Intel, not AMD.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" applies to most of the people buying Intel CPUs

you can spin it how ever you want right.. but that is what you said. 500gb for over 100$ is A CRAZY PRICE and only for enthusiasts. dont see how optane is irrelevant but 500gb drives for over 100 are :p you cant think of a use for 10gb at home other than home internet? i know your lying now..

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
"A fool and his money are soon parted" applies to most of the people buying Intel CPUs

you can spin it how ever you want right.. but that is what you said. 500gb for over 100$ is A CRAZY PRICE and only for enthusiasts. dont see how optane is irrelevant but 500gb drives for over 100 are :p you cant think of a use for 10gb at home other than home internet? i know your lying now..
He meant that about a choice where someone chooses less value and longevity from the available options. Nothing to do with natural deflation of somewhat brand agnostic storage prices... what are you even talking about?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
He meant that about a choice where someone chooses less value and longevity from the available options. Nothing to do with natural deflation of somewhat brand agnostic storage prices... what are you even talking about?
i guess you only read half the posts.. i went on 1 post earlier about how i purchased 5 intel laptops in the past 2 years.. but another case of selective reasoning. are you his lawyer or spokesman or is it more personal?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
are you his lawyer or spokesman or is it more personal?
This a forum. We openly discuss things. If you have direct business to discuss with @Markfw I suggest you use the forum's messaging system.

Going back to the topic, it sounds like Comet Lake i5 will be a mix of normal dies + grease TIM / thin-die + STIM. The K and KF parts are all getting the better thermal treatment, but in the case of 10400(F) we might end up with very different thermals depending on what's under the IHS.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Example, the new Core i3 lineup is faster in gaming than any Ryzen 1600AF/2600 at the same price points.
So, R3 3100/3300X reviews kicked in and... 3300X @ $120 matches the stock 7700K in gaming performance while beating it in productivity workloads.
3300X.jpg

The stock 7700K clocks at 4.4Ghz in MT loads, which matches the top Comet Lake i3. This effectively means the entire i3 lineup is outmatched in price/performance right before launch.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Anandtech results.

1588862348171.png

Yes, AMD is running faster memory as Anandtech runs what is officially supported, but the HWB doesn't limit to supported speeds and shows the 3300X tied in gaming and still winning significantly in productivity (link). I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by this release and will put even further pressure on Intel's lineup. Intel will probably still have issues in the DiY market but will rely on those business contracts to continue to hold the majority share for a while yet.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
i guess you only read half the posts.. i went on 1 post earlier about how i purchased 5 intel laptops in the past 2 years.. but another case of selective reasoning. are you his lawyer or spokesman or is it more personal?
Nope, that part of your first post was already answered by Mark. I answered specifically to the rambling about flash prices in your second post, which has nothing to do with choosing between CPU options from competing vendors.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Nope, that part of your first post was already answered by Mark. I answered specifically to the rambling about flash prices in your second post, which has nothing to do with choosing between CPU options from competing vendors.
yea you need to read and address what was asked to you because you are not following. he was speaking of pcie4 and how 500gb drives that use it are not enthusiast drives. i didnt know he needed people to speak in his behalf, sure you can say your opinion but stating what you think they mean is kinda silly and he did straight say "anyone that buys a intel cpu is a fool" so.. ya..

also think that the 3300x is looking good wow 120$ and matches teh 3600 in a lot of things. (3600 is now 172 yesterday) to bad its little bit off topic but pleased to see.