Intel Comet Lake Thread

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
At 1440p and up. Still not 100% convinced the 7700K in my rig for the past 3.5 years is fine enough to get it done. Really wanted to be awed by the 10900K. Just not sure at this point.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Please let us know how it goes (assuming a someone starts a Comet Lake build thread). Good luck!
Ajay not gonna lie having a little buyers remorse lol. That inner voice that tells me you should wait until September.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ajay not gonna lie having a little buyers remorse lol. That inner voice that tells me you should wait until September.
I'm just curious. Built a new system this winter (went AMD). Next system will be my wife's, so low to mid range for her needs.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
I'm just curious. Built a new system this winter (went AMD). Next system will be my wife's, so low to mid range for her needs.
Wanted a 2nd pc just for gaming while the 3900x would be my workstation of sorts. Would have to move the 1080ti to the Intel system which means i would have to buy a cheap video card to put in the 3900x. Then when the rtx 3080 came out exchange put that in the intel and move the gtx 1080ti back to the 3900x system. I should have thought it thru a little more lol ill see what happens

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have been out of the CPU market for years. Intel's marketing department needs to be fired using all these "lake" brand names for desktop, mobile, ect. Is the next desktop chip that will slot in Comet-Lake's place be Rocket-Lake?

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
I have been out of the CPU market for years. Intel's marketing department needs to be fired using all these "lake" brand names for desktop, mobile, ect. Is the next desktop chip that will slot in Comet-Lake's place be Rocket-Lake?
It seems like it, yeah.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
At 1440p and up. Still not 100% convinced the 7700K in my rig for the past 3.5 years is fine enough to get it done. Really wanted to be awed by the 10900K. Just not sure at this point.

From the benchmarks I've seen I'd say you're fine. Once they start making more games for the next gen consoles and utilizing 6/8 cores that's when you will probably want to upgrade. I imagine that will be well into 2021 sometime.

Personally more excited to see the 30xx series since I'm at 1440p and 99% of the time limited by GPU.

Reactions: Genx87

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The lakes are codenames. The purpose of a code name is often to obscure actual details from others. And I personally think they are doing a great job at that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_name

Intel's marketing refers to their chips as "10th Generation Intel® Core™ i_ Processors", fill in the blank with a number. For some reason forums just prefer NOT to use the marketing names. I think we should fire posters on forums for continuing to avoid the official marketing names and using the confusing lake names instead. :)

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
EYyv8WgXYAA8E-w

You must post commentary to your image.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
EYyv8WgXYAA8E-w

You must post commentary to your image.
Let me help him out then.

What he wanted to say is according to that image it’s quite obvious that intel is out of space to add more cpu cores, they have achieved the ‘reticle limit’ of the packaging so to speak, quite obvious no more than 10 cpu cores in that space.

So what will intel do, quite obvious the new stretched out socket 1700 for alder lake:

1590534877939.png

And again new motherboards for it with the capacity to hold, wait for it, 14 cpu cores in 2022, they will obviously release 12 cores cpus first in 2021.
Expect also with all those pins 2x TDP so 500 Watts, yeah burn baby burn!

PS: Sorry for the bad paint photoshop :p

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Let me help him out then.

What he wanted to say is according to that image it’s quite obvious that intel is out of space to add more cpu cores, they have achieved the ‘reticle limit’ of the packaging so to speak, quite obvious no more than 10 cpu cores in that space.

So what will intel do, quite obvious the new stretched out socket 1700 for alder lake:

View attachment 21683

And again new motherboards for it with the capacity to hold, wait for it, 14 cpu cores in 2022, they will obviously release 12 cores cpus first in 2021.
Expect also with all those pins 2x TDP so 500 Watts, yeah burn baby burn!

PS: Sorry for the bad paint photoshop :p

Interesting, but I don't see them going that route. first of all they may finally get 10nm working on desktop. Secondly, they may finally have to ditch the ring bus and go for something more like Skylake-X.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Interesting, but I don't see them going that route. first of all they may finally get 10nm working on desktop. Secondly, they may finally have to ditch the ring bus and go for something more like Skylake-X.

Alder is only 8 big cores max so they don't need to. Whatever comes after that probably uses the mesh in some capacity.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
So it seems the copper core is coming back too -
EY_kYryUYAAHh8P.jpeg

Managed to do some basic power usage tests on a 9400F running on a MSI B360 board, stock Intel cooler. Results were, interesting:
Prime 95 Small FFT - Package power 86W, max temp 84C, fan RPM @ 3000+.
CB R20 - Package power 55W, temps bellow 70C, fan RPM @ 2000+.

Checked BIOS, all power limits were set to Auto, yet the CPU stayed at 86W indefinitely. Looks like even locked boards had power limits removed a while back.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Had to deal with multi socket systems many years ago, so i have to deal with multi threading before multicore cpus were a thing.
When that occurred (with almost all the software in the early days) i just run multi instances of the same software assigned to different cpu cores, not that difficult.
True. Working with clusters in the past usually meant splitting the problem and running the same program on multiple nodes.
Frankly, it's not a lot different today. It's just that we have software that does most of this labour for you.

I only wanted to repeat the fundamental matter that some here may not be aware of (or forgot...). Computing is sequential, just like cooking. Sometimes you can do few things at a time and sometimes not (or something that is already done has to wait).
Whereas some people seem to think that processors are run with magic and when you ask them to do something, whatever it may be, they'll run it on every core available. And if it doesn't happen, it's probably because the evil Intel-sponsored developer doesn't allow it. ;)
Obviously they're making the socket larger to house more stuff. But more importantly: they're finally making it not a square.
This will not only allow them to make high core-count ring CPUs, but also some interesting MCP / MCM.

Also LGA1700 is being developed with 10nm CPUs in mind, so it'll be able to house more than 14 cores (and for less than 500W). Don't worry too much. ;)

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
This will not only allow them to make high core-count ring CPUs, but also some interesting MCP / MCM.
Not sure if it's any of that, i think due to the amd south bridge eating too much power due to pcie4.0 intel might want to give it the proper cooling by putting it in the same package of the cpu. Some 'clean' designs like the amd am1 boards but that would mean the end of their chipset business.

It would make segmentation harder for the celeron/pentium vs i3/.../i9, but maybe not, just needed to keep the same connectivity in all the boards it would just get downgraded ports, like for example:
- i5/i7/i9 - pcie 4.0 on the x16/x1 slots​
- celeron/pentium/i3 - pcie 3.0 on the x16/x1 slots​
- i7/i9 - all usb3 20gb/s ports​
- i3/i5 - some usb3 ports downgraded to 10gb/s​
- celeron and pentium - more usb3 ports downgraded to 5gb/s​

Also LGA1700 is being developed with 10nm CPUs in mind, so it'll be able to house more than 14 cores (and for less than 500W). Don't worry too much.
With their recent track record wont bet on that, i'm more inclined in worst case scenarios.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Not sure if it's any of that, i think due to the amd south bridge eating too much power due to pcie4.0 intel might want to give it the proper cooling by putting it in the same package of the cpu. Some 'clean' designs like the amd am1 boards but that would mean the end of their chipset business.

That's how it is now with U/Y, and we know that U/Y and H are merging into P which you have to think is just U/Y with higher TDP options. They can always adjust prices and TDP to account for the chipset and/or make an optional chipset if some OEM needs 30 USB ports.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Well, i was expecting more out of this Core i3.
It doesnt even reach 7700K performance and its slower both in productivity and gaming to the Ryzen 3300X at the same price.

yup my old 7700k which my friend uses now was a awesome chip, i kinda miss the old girl. She plays Dying Light and COD WW2 on it as her most advanced games as shes more classic like CS:Source and its obviously overkill for those :p

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Actually watching the Core i3 10100 review again, this is the worst CPU launch of the last 10 years or more.

The Core i3 10100 is slower both in productivity and gaming, it is locked both in CPU and Memory overclocking.
It doesnt even win a single benchmark against the competition and yet it cost the same or more.

Simple there is not a single point you can make in favor for this product against the competition.
Even Pentium 4 had some strong points such as high overclocking potential and strong multimedia performance against the competition and the FX CPUs had higher MultiThreading performance and all SKUs were unlocked at a very competitive price against the competition.

Really this CPU price has to go down in order for it to start being viable for consideration.

Reactions: lightmanek

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Actually watching the Core i3 10100 review again, this is the worst CPU launch of the last 10 years or more.

The Core i3 10100 is slower both in productivity and gaming, it is locked both in CPU and Memory overclocking.
It doesnt even win a single benchmark against the competition and yet it cost the same or more.

Simple there is not a single point you can make in favor for this product against the competition.
WRONG.

...It has an iGPU.

K I'm done.

How much longer until Renoir hit's desktops again?

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015

Even Pentium 4 had some strong points such as high overclocking potential and strong multimedia performance against the competition and the FX CPUs had higher MultiThreading performance and all SKUs were unlocked at a very competitive price against the competition.

Really this CPU price has to go down in order for it to start being viable for consideration.
Comparing Ryzen 3 3300X to basically all of the CPUs that are within his price range, or even a lot higher it shows how good deal 3300X actually is. Its a game changing product from AMD, in terms of value.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Maybe Intel didn't think the 3300X would be able to boost to 4.4 on all cores. Maybe they don't care.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Well, i was expecting more out of this Core i3.
It doesnt even reach 7700K performance and its slower both in productivity and gaming to the Ryzen 3300X at the same price.

Yeah most ppl forgot that you could tune the hell out of a 7700K's RAM.

Reactions: lightmanek

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Just curios other than something requiring quicksync is there any software optimized to run better on Intel than they would on Amd cpus? (virus, virtualization, web browsing etc etc) Minus all the synthetic benches other than gaming @1080p what benefits would someone get from choosing Comet lake over Amd?
Please no heated arguments. just want a list of Comet lake strong points.