Intel "Coffee Lake" Builders Thread

Page 63 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
So right now, I'm testing a multiplier of 50x, AVX offset of -1, Vcore offset of 100 mV, and LLC level 3. Running Prime95 using the heat generating test, all cores are in their low-mid 70s except core 0, which is in the mid-upper 70s with a high of 80. CPU voltage is reading 1.296 during this test. If I adjust AVX to -2, I'll drop 3-5 degrees. Thoughts? Idle temps for the CPU are in upper 20s/low 30s in a room which is 72 degrees F.

EDIT: System finally hard locked. I could raise the voltage to stabilize it, but I think I'm going to dial it back down to AVX -2 and leave it.
You may be the only one priming with AVX at those clocks. The temps seem incredible at those clocks. That's a nice chip you got there. I would drop the AVX-offset to -2 and leave everything else as is, if I were you. Nice result.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
So right now, I'm testing a multiplier of 50x, AVX offset of -1, Vcore offset of 100 mV, and LLC level 3. Running Prime95 using the heat generating test, all cores are in their low-mid 70s except core 0, which is in the mid-upper 70s with a high of 80. CPU voltage is reading 1.296 during this test. If I adjust AVX to -2, I'll drop 3-5 degrees. Thoughts? Idle temps for the CPU are in upper 20s/low 30s in a room which is 72 degrees F.

EDIT: System finally hard locked. I could raise the voltage to stabilize it, but I think I'm going to dial it back down to AVX -2 and leave it.

So around 1.3V for 5GHz OC / -2 AVX offset. That chip was totally worth delidding!

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
You may be the only one priming with AVX at those clocks. The temps seem incredible at those clocks. That's a nice chip you got there. I would drop the AVX-offset to -2 and leave everything else as is, if I were you. Nice result.

Silicon Lottery actually binned it at 5.1 GHz with AVX at -2, so I could go higher with more voltage but I think you’re right and I’ll keep it at 5 GHz with AVX at -2. It has never crashed with those settings.

Reactions: Zucker2k

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Silicon Lottery actually binned it at 5.1 GHz with AVX at -2, so I could go higher with more voltage but I think you’re right and I’ll keep it at 5 GHz with AVX at -2. It has never crashed with those settings.
Since you have the EVGA 1080TI FT3, it'll be nice to see you go against @TahoeDust in some graphics benchmarks, maybe some few games to see the true nature of things on both platforms as far as gaming is concerned.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
i'm jealous of those temps. Very nice. I have to do -3 offset for AVX otherwise it just gets too hot for comfort. Am also on a 240mm radiator.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
i'm jealous of those temps. Very nice. I have to do -3 offset for AVX otherwise it just gets too hot for comfort. Am also on a 240mm radiator.

Did you delid? Based on some earlier benchmarks with AVX and estimates I saw earlier in his thread, I’m 15+ degrees cooler and that is about what people estimate you’ll save with a delid. For cooler, I’m using the Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 with MX-4 paste that Markfw and a couple others recommended to me.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
No I didn't delid.I think that's the key difference. Shame on intel for charging so much and not even bothering to spend an extra dime on some better thermal application.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
So around 1.3V for 5GHz OC / -2 AVX offset. That chip was totally worth delidding!

One thing I noticed is that when stressed, the Vcore is reading around 1.3 V. However, when idle or not used much, the Vcore is closer to 1.4. So, since I appear to be stable under 100% utilization with a Vcore at 1.3 V, should I just use that as a fixed voltage in the BIOS (instead of using a 100 mV offset) and maybe just notch LLC up to level 2 from level 3? Or is it even worth messing with? I'm not quite sure why it is going up to 1.4 with an offset at 100 mV.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
One thing I noticed is that when stressed, the Vcore is reading around 1.3 V. However, when idle or not used much, the Vcore is closer to 1.4. So, since I appear to be stable under 100% utilization with a Vcore at 1.3 V, should I just use that as a fixed voltage in the BIOS (instead of using a 100 mV offset) and maybe just notch LLC up to level 2 from level 3? Or is it even worth messing with? I'm not quite sure why it is going up to 1.4 with an offset at 100 mV.

I would set a fixed voltage at 1.3 with LLC cranked up a decent amount to maintain a stable 1.3 vcore. It's not good to have drastic high swings in voltages randomly like that. Especially when it's not needed. There can be random background tasks that use AVX randomly (I've seen this for myself) which can drop clock speeds and or increase voltage. Even on a fresh install of windows, just sitting at idle you can occasionally see the avx offset come into play for what appears to be no given reason, it's kind of interesting actually. But ya, personally, I would set a fixed voltage, double check stability with a -2 offset and call it a day.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Since you have the EVGA 1080TI FT3, it'll be nice to see you go against @TahoeDust in some graphics benchmarks, maybe some few games to see the true nature of things on both platforms as far as gaming is concerned.
Definitely!

@IndyColtsFan let me know if you want to do some benchmarking. I'd be interested to see how 7820x and 1080 ti FTW3 compares in some graphics benches.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
No I didn't delid.I think that's the key difference. Shame on intel for charging so much and not even bothering to spend an extra dime on some better thermal application.

Sigh.... tell me about it...

Here i have a 1400 dollar i9 7940 which uses TIM and is not soldered as well because someone at intel thought it would be a good idea not to... :T

And it really annoys me how motherboard manufactors do not account users to delid their cpu and not come out with some form of die guard so we dont have to recycle the TIM.

like how MSI used to have a die guard...

I would really love to see these guys at least come as an option...
02-delid-cpu-board-mounted.jpg

It would probably secure my sale on my next motherboard where intel decides to go with TIM and not solder again.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Definitely!

@IndyColtsFan let me know if you want to do some benchmarking. I'd be interested to see how 7820x and 1080 ti FTW3 compares in some graphics benches.
Yay!!

Sure, just let me know what I need to run. Also, just wanted to put this out there - I currently have no OC on my 1080 Ti.
Some of the in-game benchmarks will show gpu clocks so a screen capture should be adequate. I don't see this being an e-penis contest because it's Intel vs Intel but you never know hehe.

Edit: I suggest you create a new thread for that.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So, I finally upgraded the GF's computer (which means I got to upgrade mine and she got my 6700k)... Asrock z370 Taichi with an 8700k. Currently sitting at 5.0Ghz, 1.27v Tried at 1.26, crashed during Furmark CPUBurner, so went back up to 1.27v, seems stable, if warm. Idles at 45ish, sits at around 75-80 under burner load, though some of those numbers could have to do with my current fan profile (which I'll probably tweak). Cooling from a Coolermaster 360mm AIO. Didn't bother with delidding. Thoughts?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
So, I finally upgraded the GF's computer (which means I got to upgrade mine and she got my 6700k)... Asrock z370 Taichi with an 8700k. Currently sitting at 5.0Ghz, 1.27v Tried at 1.26, crashed during Furmark CPUBurner, so went back up to 1.27v, seems stable, if warm. Idles at 45ish, sits at around 75-80 under burner load, though some of those numbers could have to do with my current fan profile (which I'll probably tweak). Cooling from a Coolermaster 360mm AIO. Didn't bother with delidding. Thoughts?

What is your AVX setting? I’d say if CPU burner uses AVX, your load temps are pretty good unless you turned AVX way down. Your idle temp seems very high to me, though - what is your room temp? Mine typically idles in the 28-32 range and using Prime small FFTs, hits a max of 77 on one core at 5 GHz (all other cores are in low to mid 70s) with AVX set to -2 and CPU-Z showing a CPU Vcore of 1.296. Under little to no load, I’m getting 28-32 (as I mentioned) but voltage shows 1.4. Still tweaking to get that down. The chip itself was binned at 5.1 GHz with AVX at -2 at a voltage of 1.412, but I don’t want to run that voltage 24/7.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Does Furmark use AVX?
No idea! It's a gimpy little 'CPU burner' button that opens up some extra mini program... this was seriously done in about 30m of 'testing' before some gaming last night (which went without a hitch).

What is your AVX setting? I’d say if CPU burner uses AVX, your load temps are pretty good unless you turned AVX way down. Your idle temp seems very high to me, though - what is your room temp? Mine typically idles in the 28-32 range and using Prime small FFTs, hits a max of 77 on one core at 5 GHz (all other cores are in low to mid 70s) with AVX set to -2 and CPU-Z showing a CPU Vcore of 1.296. Under little to no load, I’m getting 28-32 (as I mentioned) but voltage shows 1.4. Still tweaking to get that down. The chip itself was binned at 5.1 GHz with AVX at -2 at a voltage of 1.412, but I don’t want to run that voltage 24/7.
Yeah, forgot to mention, AVX is -4 which I figured was prudent. Not sure if the CPU burner uses it, I have a funny feeling it isn't considering the delta from idle, but I do know that the CPU cooler is more than adequate (served me well for a year or so on my 4.7Ghz 6700k) so it's possible a lot of this is just my fan/pump settings, or hell, even my thermal paste.. Some old (seriously, like a decade old) arctic silver 5, since I had to scrape off the built-in paste off the thermaltake pad from the 6700k -> 8700k transition. Might need to invest in something better there.

I want to say when I was poking at it yesterday, I was at 4.8/4.9 and idling was more like 33-35.. I didn't spend too much time verifying that idle so it's possible there was some lingering heat from BTC mining that was heating the case beyond what it should have been, I'll try to spend some time tonight getting better stats on that. Room temp is like 20c, but the mining takes the cards up to like 75/80 (two in there) so now that I think more on it, my idle temps were probably just screwy because of that. The radiator is on the extraction side of the heat so it's bound to be contributing. I also know that the fans/pump curve is set to only 100% at 80c, so capped out it keeps the CPU under control.. maybe I'll draw that back to 70/75c instead, and make the fan curve a little more aggressive on the low-end.

I >think< I've got Prime installed on that thing, should check it though. That will give me more comparable numbers than that little burner doodad. I was impressed how easy it was to get to 5Ghz, like seriously no effort. Went from 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 5.0 all at 1.28v with some brief (2-5m of aforementioned burner) testing, dropped to 1.27 at 5.0, dropped to 1.26, crash after a few minutes, revert to 1.27, and all's good so far. Maybe 20m to overclock the thing total. I spent more time than that on basically every build I've ever OC'd prior.

Reactions: Zucker2k

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Run task manager or CPU-Z when you run the CPU burner. If the clock drops from 5 GHz to 4.6 GHz, that means it is using AVX.

The Prime95 small FFT is the one that generates the most heat and it definitely uses AVX.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Run task manager or CPU-Z when you run the CPU burner. If the clock drops from 5 GHz to 4.6 GHz, that means it is using AVX.

The Prime95 small FFT is the one that generates the most heat and it definitely uses AVX.
Ah yeah it was def stuck at 5.0, was monitoring with both task manager and MSI Afternburner. Given that, I'd say my temps aren't super great given no AVX involved. I'd like to see how the cooler keeps up at 100% pump/fan though under AVX load (in theory it should just stick at 80c).

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Who else on here uses 0 AVX offset? I'm running at 4.7GHz with no offset. I feel better knowing that if my CPU is stable running small FFT Prime95 for 16+ hours continuously, there's no reason to fear it failing in lesser tests. Of course I also run non-AVX tests to stress other parts of the CPU. Those generally don't fail if AVX tests have never failed.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Who else on here uses 0 AVX offset? I'm running at 4.7GHz with no offset. I feel better knowing that if my CPU is stable running small FFT Prime95 for 16+ hours continuously, there's no reason to fear it failing in lesser tests. Of course I also run non-AVX tests to stress other parts of the CPU. Those generally don't fail if AVX tests have never failed.

I have not tried with 0 offset yet. The lowest I’ve gone is -1 offset (4.9 GHz for AVX loads in my case) and it did eventually crash, though I do know more voltage would stabilize it because Silicon Lottery tested it at 5.1 GHz with -2 offset and it was stable. So in theory at least, I should be able to do 4.9 GHz with 0 offset. Right now, I’m running at 5 GHz with AVX -2 as my daily driver setting.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So, more testing, GPU mining heat is definitely a contributing factor. Let it sit for 20m with miner off, it was idling at 35c at 5.0Ghz with some tweaked fan settings. 82c under 12-thread CPU burner. Dropped to 4.9, 1.26v, solid for now, tracking down Prime though to test with that.

EDIT: Alright, looks like with Prime 6 threads, I'm sitting at 82c, 12 threads right at 90. Both have radiator fans at full bore.

Last edited:

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
So, more testing, GPU mining heat is definitely a contributing factor. Let it sit for 20m with miner off, it was idling at 35c at 5.0Ghz with some tweaked fan settings. 82c under 12-thread CPU burner. Dropped to 4.9, 1.26v, solid for now, tracking down Prime though to test with that.

EDIT: Alright, looks like with Prime 6 threads, I'm sitting at 82c, 12 threads right at 90. Both have radiator fans at full bore.

I would remount the cpu cooler and ensure that the thermal paste had a good spread across the entire IHS. Your temps are pretty high for what you have, I would look into it if I were you. I'm able to run MUCH MUCH more voltage with just a little kraken x61 cooler that is several years old.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I would remount the cpu cooler and ensure that the thermal paste had a good spread across the entire IHS. Your temps are pretty high for what you have, I would look into it if I were you. I'm able to run MUCH MUCH more voltage with just a little kraken x61 cooler that is several years old.

His CPU isn’t delidded, so those temps probably aren’t that bad IMO.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Sure, just let me know what I need to run. Also, just wanted to put this out there - I currently have no OC on my 1080 Ti.
Cool. I have no problem running my FTW3 stock. What games do you have that have built in graphics benchmarks? I know Resident Evil 6 has one and also Rise of Tomb Raider. We could also do Superposition, Firestrike, TimeSpy, etc.

Anyone else know what else we could run?