Intel "Coffee Lake" Builders Thread

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
yeah the 280mm cooler is really something. Haven't run any stress tests but my temps are very cool. I just repaired an archive in Quickpar tonight which is the operation that always overheats my cpu. The fans were running at 975 rpm, I can't hear them and my cpu never went over 40.

Haven't updated the BIOS yet but I will.

That's great to hear. My cooler is coming in this week. To bad I got to wait until Jan to build my system.

Hilux

Nov 20, 2017
I'm hoping to get some input on a MB and RAM to use with my 8700k. I'll be purchasing an H110i and would like a MB in the $150 - $200 range that can accomodate the AIO and my GTX 1070 and has been deemed to be relatively problem free so far with regards to construction, stability, and compatibility (RAM) and overclocking. Any thoughts? I've looked at some of the Asus models but I'm not sure which have the vdroop issue nor if it has been resolved on all or most of the boards yet.

Other than the MB I have no idea what specs I should be looking for in RAM modules to get decent overclocks with the 8700k. Any brands and models you can recommend would be much appreciated.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
I'm hoping to get some input on a MB and RAM to use with my 8700k. I'll be purchasing an H110i and would like a MB in the $150 - $200 range that can accomodate the AIO and my GTX 1070 and has been deemed to be relatively problem free so far with regards to construction, stability, and compatibility (RAM) and overclocking. Any thoughts? I've looked at some of the Asus models but I'm not sure which have the vdroop issue nor if it has been resolved on all or most of the boards yet.

Other than the MB I have no idea what specs I should be looking for in RAM modules to get decent overclocks with the 8700k. Any brands and models you can recommend would be much appreciated.

My personal opinion from testing multiple 8700k chips would be to go with either the Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming OR the Asus Maximus X Hero non wifi. With LLC (load line calibration) vdroop isn't an issue on either of these boards. At least not with the bios that I am running. Personally, I went with the Strix board and I am extremely happy. As far as ram goes, you are going to want any 3200mhz kit that is 16gb or 32gb with a cas latency of 14. It's not the end of the world if you get 3200mhz CL 15, by any means, but CL14 is "better". Ram isn't something that you will notice real world performance differences with. Personally, I am really happy with the trident z kits. Newegg is having a black friday sale on a couple of them and I would recommend them both. That's just my opinion though :) I absolutely love the way the RGB ram looks in my system, I don't think I will ever want to build a rig without it now.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
My personal opinion from testing multiple 8700k chips would be to go with either the Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming OR the Asus Maximus X Hero non wifi. With LLC (load line calibration) vdroop isn't an issue on either of these boards. At least not with the bios that I am running. Personally, I went with the Strix board and I am extremely happy. As far as ram goes, you are going to want any 3200mhz kit that is 16gb or 32gb with a cas latency of 14. It's not the end of the world if you get 3200mhz CL 15, by any means, but CL14 is "better". Ram isn't something that you will notice real world performance differences with. Personally, I am really happy with the trident z kits. Newegg is having a black friday sale on a couple of them and I would recommend them both. That's just my opinion though :) I absolutely love the way the RGB ram looks in my system, I don't think I will ever want to build a rig without it now.

I went with the Asus board you specified, as well as 16 gigs of cas 14 DDR3200 Trident Z memory. My 8700k is running at 5.0 and has passed stress testing overnight so I am happy. I did research it quite a bit, so I feel comfortable supporting your recommendations.

Reactions: Zucker2k

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

Yeah I have some gskill CL14 RGB ram and it looks awesome.

rondocap

Nov 6, 2017
These are some numbers Ive been able to achieve with my setup, would appreciate some input as to how I can get some temps down and some possible settings to change with my setup.

I have an 8700k with the Maximus hero x wifi board. I have followed the settings proposed by der8auer. I am using an EK Water Blocks 120mm radiator liquid cooling loop, one vardar fan. 3200hmz trident z ram cl16. I am limited to the 120 cooler due to case design. (Large case, ala silverstone rz01)

Load line calibration set to 6, at 5 it would crash under these numbers.

At 5ghz, I was able to get it stable at 1.375, but 26.6 prime 95 was hitting nearly 97c.
At 4.9 ghz, 1.31 was stable, around 86c prime 95.
At 4.8ghz, 1.25 seems stable, around 77c stress test.

Do those numbers look ballpark? Any other setting I could look at to get the the temps down? Id like 5ghz, but 97c is too high. ideally Id like everything below 80c stress test, but I may need to stick to 4.8 for that.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
These are some numbers Ive been able to achieve with my setup, would appreciate some input as to how I can get some temps down and some possible settings to change with my setup.

I have an 8700k with the Maximus hero x wifi board. I have followed the settings proposed by der8auer. I am using an EK Water Blocks 120mm radiator liquid cooling loop, one vardar fan. 3200hmz trident z ram cl16. I am limited to the 120 cooler due to case design. (Large case, ala silverstone rz01)

At 5ghz, I was able to get it stable at 1.375, but 26.6 prime 95 was hitting nearly 97c.

Do those numbers look ballpark? Any other setting I could look at to get the the temps down? Id like 5ghz, but 97c is too high. ideally Id like everything below 80c stress test, but I may need to stick to 4.8 for that.

Your temps look quite a bit worse than mine under Prime 95 26.6 and I'm on a Noctua U14S. Your temps are about what AVX loads do on mine. I'm not familiar with your cooling setup but is it possible you need to reapply thermal paste?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

Offset AVX by around 3. I believe Prime95 uses AVX

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Offset AVX by around 3. I believe Prime95 uses AVX
Prime 95 26.6 doesn't use AVX. The newest prime95 does however. Hence why people generally test with both. However I find intel burn test or linx to be a much better and quicker method for checking for stability. In the long run, it's great to have a full day of p95, but while quickly testing, LinX or IBT works wonders, but those are both AVX. For general testing, Cinebench is a dream. Puts some serious load on your cpu and can find instability that neither p95 or linx has caught in the past for me.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Took 20-30 mins to hit 97c, was stable though, for as long as I tested it (a bit over an hour)
97C at 1.375 for a custom loop is extremely hot. My nzxt kraken x61 aka the oldest version from them, AIO, doesn't get near that temp at voltage even higher than that. Personally I would remount the block and double check your thermal compound application. Turn the fans up a bit as well if you need to. 97C is way to hot for 1.375V from my experience with my two 8700k's on my AIO. I know every chip and rig is different, but that seems really really hot, especially in non avx. If you were in AVX your temps would be about 110C. Some chips just love voltage though, it doesn't surprise me that you need that much for 5ghz. Some need even more to get completely stable. Hell I've ran more than 1.425 volts for 5.3ghz, but thats besides the point. Double check your setup, your loop, your pump, your block, your thermal compound etc. Those temps and voltages aren't lining up with water cooling. Even on a small radiator, it shouldn't be THAT hot. I would consider delidding the chip either way though. The 3d printed tools they have out now are cheap and extremely easy to use.

rondocap

Nov 6, 2017
97C at 1.375 for a custom loop is extremely hot. My nzxt kraken x61 aka the oldest version from them, AIO, doesn't get near that temp at voltage even higher than that. Personally I would remount the block and double check your thermal compound application. Turn the fans up a bit as well if you need to. 97C is way to hot for 1.375V from my experience with my two 8700k's on my AIO. I know every chip and rig is different, but that seems really really hot, especially in non avx. If you were in AVX your temps would be about 110C. Some chips just love voltage though, it doesn't surprise me that you need that much for 5ghz. Some need even more to get completely stable. Hell I've ran more than 1.425 volts for 5.3ghz, but thats besides the point. Double check your setup, your loop, your pump, your block, your thermal compound etc. Those temps and voltages aren't lining up with water cooling. Even on a small radiator, it shouldn't be THAT hot. I would consider delidding the chip either way though. The 3d printed tools they have out now are cheap and extremely easy to use.

Thanks- I was able to get 87c overnight prime 95 26.6 at 4.9ghz with 1.305v, is that more in the ballpark? My previous h70 aio with push/pull was similar to my ek 120 open loop with 1 fan.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
@rondocap Ya that is much closer. Prime95 pushes temps higher than pretty much anything else does. Although, beware that if you use the newest version of prime95, which includes AVX, you might not be stable and or your temps WILL increase, probably to about 97. AVX loads are no joke and they add a lot of heat, 10 degrees is easy to add during a full AVX load from my experience.

rondocap

Nov 6, 2017
@rondocap Ya that is much closer. Prime95 pushes temps higher than pretty much anything else does. Although, beware that if you use the newest version of prime95, which includes AVX, you might not be stable and or your temps WILL increase, probably to about 97. AVX loads are no joke and they add a lot of heat, 10 degrees is easy to add during a full AVX load from my experience.
Thank you, at 4.8 gigahertz it seems stable at 1.25 V, with a Max temp of about 73 C, which seems better than 87c at 4.

If the system is stable, how low can I realistically go on the voltage at 4.8? Is there a number that becomes dangerous for the cpu on the low end?

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
@rondocap There is no such thing as "To low" of a voltage. If you can get it stable at 1.2, do it. If you can get it stable at 1.08, do it. If you can get it stable at 1.0, by all means do it! You won't achieve that, but you should ALWAYS find your LOWEST 100% stable voltage. The problem in finding the lowest stable voltage however though, is that you need to be more thorough in your testing methodology. Prime95 alone unfortunately will not find all of the instability. I would download either intel burn test or Linx, cinebench, handbrake, realbench, prime95 26.6 and the newest prime95 that has avx and superposition. I use ALL of these apps when testing for stability. OCCT works as well, but it's pretty much the same as IBT but with a pretty graph. I've been 24 hours stable of p95, but have failed a simple cinebench run with a BSOD before believe it or not. Test with multiple tools and keep an eye on temps. Lowering the voltage is a great idea, just make sure you stay stable! I would find the lowest voltage that 4.8 will boot at, and then up it from there until you find stability. My guess is going to be somewhere around the 1.2 to 1.22 area will be stable for you.

Last edited:

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Don't do the 1.8 thing...
If he can get it stable at 1.8 there is nothing wrong with that, although I said he wouldn't be able to. I was just letting him know the lowest voltage possible that is STABLE is the best voltage to run.

Edit: Meant 1.08 voltage haha, not 1.8 =P

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I would think that 1.8 volts would not be good for chip health given that AMD says 1.45 volts is the max safe voltage.

Wrong chip mfg, but same idea.

Last edited:

Mulrian

Oct 23, 2017
If he can get it stable at 1.8 there is nothing wrong with that, although I said he wouldn't be able to. I was just letting him know the lowest voltage possible that is STABLE is the best voltage to run.

Not really, you can have a stable overclock but be pushing enough voltage to cause damage/reduce the lifetime of the chip. Seen it a few times recently on the AMD side where people were pushing near 1.5 to get good 4.1ghz overclocks only to have it become unstable after a couple weeks and be forced to dial it down.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Not really, you can have a stable overclock but be pushing enough voltage to cause damage/reduce the lifetime of the chip. Seen it a few times recently on the AMD side where people were pushing near 1.5 to get good 4.1ghz overclocks only to have it become unstable after a couple weeks and be forced to dial it down.

My bad, I should have edited that post. I was saying the Lowest possible voltage, going down from 1.25 to 1.2 to (I said 1.8 but meant 1.08). 1.8 volts would be WAY to much lol, I was just going DOWN in numbers in my mind and went up accidentally. I will edit the above.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
I should clarify, for 24/7 use I personally wouldn't run much more than 1.4 to 1.45 voltage through my chips on water. But my point from above still stands, always try to find the LOWEST possible stable voltage. Whether it's at 1.25, or 1.22 or 1.2 or 1.19 or 1.08 etc. Whatever the lowest voltage you can achieve stable is what you should run. From my experience, it will probably be somewhere in the 1.2 to 1.22 range though for 4.8ghz from the sound of your chip. But you might get lucky and be able to get it into the 1.19 range as well, just gotta test it and see.

rondocap

Nov 6, 2017
Well, crashed at 4.8ghz at 1.25v so never mind going lower, likely 1.28v may be stable. I think I need more cooling than a single ek 120 rad on water to push more.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Well, crashed at 4.8ghz at 1.25v so never mind going lower, likely 1.28v may be stable. I think I need more cooling than a single ek 120 rad on water to push more.

Save up and grab yourself a nice case that can handle at least a 280mm, but the bigger the better thats for sure. You can never have enough cooling. If you go with a delid though you can easily drop anywhere from 10 to 20C depending on how bad of a job they did. You would be surprised at how much delidding can help. I've seen cpu's go from 85c to 60c in prime95 after a delid.