Question Intel CEO says the industry should stop using benchmarks [PCGamer]

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm sure Intel would feel differently if they looked better in the benchmarks, now that everyone knows they've contributed to bias in the past.

"Oh, we can't manually tip the scale in our favor? Well, then benchmarking itself is dumb and everyone should still give us credit where it's due, because we're Intel."

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
In many cases, benchmarks are near useless without context. But they're used without context anyway (Geekbench in particular).

Meanwhile if you benchmark games Intel still comes out ahead in many cases, so I'm not sure why they would be against benchmarks in general.

Because in any benchmark that isn't a game related they get trounced.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yes, looks like the same reality distortion field in the making. Just that Intel is way less consumer facing which may inhibit their magic a little.
Not to mention they really don't have their magic anywhere near to Apple levels (i.e. approaching cult feelings) in the eyes of the average consumer.
I'm not sure the enterprise world will ignore AMD's technology lead forever either, because there's obviously no interest for magic in that space :)

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Not to mention they really don't have their magic anywhere near to Apple levels (i.e. approaching cult feelings) in the eyes of the average consumer.
I'm not sure the enterprise world will ignore AMD's technology lead forever either, because there's obviously no interest for magic in that space :)
I think at some point. Intel will lose market share while AMD rises. At some point they will converge. It may take five more years.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That is what he seems to be alluding to IMO. That is: Pull an Apple, where you decide for the consumer how they are going to use the technology, and what tech is cool and trendy. Package it right, make it easy to use, pretend there is nothing else like it. Overprice it, obviously, that tells them it is the best. :p Focus groups, data analytics, all that jazz.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That is what he seems to be alluding to IMO. That is: Pull an Apple, where you decide for the consumer how they are going to use the technology, and what tech is cool and trendy. Package it right, make it easy to use, pretend there is nothing else like it. Overprice it, obviously, that tells them it is the best. :p Focus groups, data analytics, all that jazz.

It works though. The Intel reputation being what it is, even I shade towards and Intel/nvidia setups when I am recommending setups for people who are more interested in having it "just work" vs "I want great value for my money and forward thinking". Whether that's based on current "truth" or not, it's still my first impulse.

Reactions: spursindonesia

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Looks at your sig....Scratches head. lol

I am personally someone who prefers a good deal and perf for the $ at the expense of some dealing with issues. My last main rig of eight years was a 3930k that had a 7950 xfire, then 290x then a 5700xt in it.

The first XFX 5700xt had driver issues up the wazoo, didn't run the fans until 100C, etc. Returned to Best Buy. The second Visiontek 5700xt had to be RMA'd due to memory failures. So I lived with the pain to get ton of performance for $350 with a eBay coupon. ;)

The original drivers with 5700xt felt like back in the day when my ATI 8500 literally took different drivers to run different games. Oh, those were the days, right?!?

My wife's PC is Intel/nvidia, I don't ever want to hear about it :p

And yeah, I was just talking about the efficacy of Intel's marketing and reputation building over the years. They earned/paid for a space in my head. Conroe through Skylake was quite a run.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Looks at your sig....Scratches head. lol
I get that though. I will use AMD a lot more than I would recommend it. Mostly on graphics but even first gen Ryzen would be cautious of suggesting those to people I am going to have to support or listen to about later. Same reason Intel will hold Business and DC orders for a long while through inertia. An Intel system under performing and acting up it means that you need a faster or newer system. An AMD system under performing or acting up, why in the hell did you purchase AMD.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
It depends on the application. For something like a laptop that doesn't usually do encoding or gaming, yes, screen quality, keyboard, having an ssd, and ease of use etc is more important than benchmarks. I agree though, it is pretty absurd coming from an Intel spokesperson when they have just came out with "the worlds fastest gaming processor:"

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
It depends on the application. For something like a laptop that doesn't usually do encoding or gaming, yes, screen quality, keyboard, having an ssd, and ease of use etc is more important than benchmarks. I agree though, it is pretty absurd coming from an Intel spokesperson when they have just came out with "the worlds fastest gaming processor:"
Yeah but that doesn't have a bearing on his products at all. There is nothing preventing those same qualities being offered with AMD products as well. In an Apple setting you have a lot more control over design language and materials used. But Intel doesn't and even if OEM's can't use 100% of the same setup for an AMD solution a lot can be used and or adapted. So how does he expect to show the quality and superiority of his product and isolate it from the competition?

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Come on guys, Bob is right, benchmarks clearly no long cover what Intel is actually going for:

"We should see this moment as an opportunity to shift our focus as an industry from benchmarks to the benefits and impacts of the technology we create. The pandemic has underscored the need for technology to be purpose-built so it can meet these evolving business and consumer needs.

And this requires a customer-obsessed mindset to stay close, anticipate those needs, and develop solutions. In this mindset, the goal is to ensure we are optimising for a stronger impact that will support and accelerate positive business and societal benefits around the globe.
"

roflcopter

It always amazes me how these people can keep a serious face while blabering a ton of non-sense, no-content buzzwords.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Well what I gather from that, is expecting Intel to be the first to stop sending CPU samples to reviewers and instead provide only a pdf explaining the benefits and impact of the product in the market. Reviews should then communicate this to the end user, much like an advertisement. :rolleyes:

So, I would really like to see how Intel will launch its new Rocket Lake Mobile CPUs later in summer and explain its undisputed leadership to the end user by only communicating the benefits and impact of the CPUs without Benchmarks. :D:p

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
I am guessing that means he already has the preliminary Zen 3 performance benchmarks. ( Partners would have it under NDAs but these things leaks back and forth within the industry )

And Zen 3 would actually be something Intel cant / dont want to benchmark against.

Considering 10nm won't be any better than 14nm in pushing Clockspeed ( They used that one up too much with 14nm ), and their IPC are known, ( Willow Cove, ) I am guessing Intel has used up all their tricks until Alderlake in 2022.

Meanwhile Zen 3 should give at least 5% higher Clockspeed and 15% higher IPC. All while maintaining MultiCore dominance.

Would not be surprised If Intel's only answer were to lower Desktop price by 30 - 50%.

Much more interested in the Mobile side of things.

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah I get it because intels benchmarks probably won’t look so good against a Ryzen 4000
However the man does have a point, we have all seen the manipulated benchmarks and particularly with games the game engine performs better on one type of hardware vs another but not all games behave the same. Benchmarks that note a trivial difference that would never be noticed in the real world.
I think he has a good point we should focus on cost, heat and any other add on much, much more.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Member that time Intel said that people shouldn’t overclock Kaby Lake despite the k-series being advertised as overclockable, and then Spectre and Meltdown also happened?

I was pretty upset at the time, but now I see the issue. I kept looking at those pesky benchmarks.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I am guessing that means he already has the preliminary Zen 3 performance benchmarks. ( Partners would have it under NDAs but these things leaks back and forth within the industry )

I think it's more that AMD is going to have higher core counts in general for the foreseeable future, and thus will win any MT based benchmarks. Not just desktop.