Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 245 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013
Xeon/i7/i9 (Mobile) => Internal 7nm taped out
Xeon+Movidus => Internal 7nm taped out
Atom => Internal 7nm taped out
Atom+EyeQ => Internal 7nm taped out
Discrete Graphics (not-Ponte) => Internal 7nm taped out
NVM-3DXP (successor under the same name?) => Internal 7nm taped out

50,000-100,000 7nm wpm by 2H20-1Q21

As there is no issues on the 7nm node, Internal 5nm MassProd has been brought forward to 2022.

This seems aggressive....What are you hearing on 10nm wpm by year end 2020? I want to see if what I'm hearing aligns with what you're hearing.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
If missing their roadmap completely for Zen4 is "on cadence" then hey, great. Not like Intel will be on time either. Comet Lake-S was 5 months late, Tiger Lake looks late. At this rate Alder Lake-S may be a 2022 CPU. Ignoring how late Intel really is when you consider the damage 10nm has done to their launch schedule.
AMD has officially stated their cadence is 12 to 18 months.

I still don't get where this whole "Zen 3 delayed" mindset comes from.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017

It originates from desires - which is strange, because the people throwing it around are actually smart. Most of you people here are :)

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013

I'd think the likelihood is delays, industry wide, due to the impact of Covid. They might not be considered delays based on the technicality that no firm timelines have yet be set but I find it hard to imagine the announcement, launch and release schedule for products would be identical in a non-Covid timeline.

Everything from design, bringing products to market, supply chain, demand changes requiring different prioritization have been impacted.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
This seems aggressive....What are you hearing on 10nm wpm by year end 2020? I want to see if what I'm hearing aligns with what you're hearing.
Info is only on 7nm, however, it largely depends on the tools Intel has ordered to sustain volume. For 10nm to be viable for overlap with 14nm and 7nm it will need around 100,000 wpm.

"10nm ~80K wpm & 10nm+ ~100K wpm"
With 2020 being 25% the max target, thus for 2020 it is around ~125K wafer starts.
Maximum total available is expected to ~180K(+60 if there is another fab I missed) eventually.

7nm Fab = 10nm Fab plus a EUV corridor of NXE:3400C machines // Essentially 7nm uses the high yield portion of 10nm's BEOL and replaces the low yield of 10nm FEOL/MOL with high yield 7nm of the same type. High 10nm production also in turn technically means high 7nm production, if the correct HVM EUV scanners are present.
I'm sure you didn't know what 'cooked' actually means in this context, but damn, you've really made a funny one here :)
for real competition's sake, let's hope it's not ;)
In that context means the design kit is actually above 1.0 in the 1.x range and physical design kit is above 1.6 and probably in the 2.x range.
Intel at least yoinked a customer from (Samsung Foundry)SAFE 7nm-4nm to their FIP 7nm.

Last edited:

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015

It originates from desires - which is strange, because the people throwing it around are actually smart. Most of you people here are :)
It comes from people's ... we'll go with imaginations.

About the time that intel's road map dropped that no longer had rocket lake s on it, there were two digitimes articles saying zen 3 was pushed to 2021 and might even be on 5nm.

People also couldn't understand the purpose of releasing the XT models.

So to make sense of the minimal bump that XT models got, they bought into the notion that zen 3 is delayed. They then also speculated AMD will do a major price hike and say buy Zen 2 XT for cheaper parts, even though AMD has said those are enthusiast SKUs, they expect low volume, and they are in all likelihood are to make AMD look slightly more competitive in some tasks with the 10th series coming out of Intel.

They then ignore AMD has limited fab time, but are releasing GPU products first to compete against Ampere, are releasing console APUs right after that, then releasing CPUs, all within like 2-3 months from each other (September through October or November). Next year, at least console volume will be less in Flux.

So, they want Intel to be their savior, making claims of stagnation and delays, even though AMD, after the digitimes articles, reached out to tech press and YouTubers and asked them specifically to tell the public they are on time and will be out this year.

And so they then changed it from not meeting cadence to on that cadence releasing Zen 4 in Q1 2022 as a "got 'em" moment, ignoring the numerous times that Intel has pushed a quarter or two and that this isn't pushing a quarter but staying on cadence. Even i think it will be Q1 2022. But that isn't late.

All the slide shows is a 2022 at the end. Until now, that has meant before that year on other AMD slides (which also suggests RDNA 3 next year, just saying which is abnormal because GPUs can take 2 years normally).

But what that really is is being pedantic.

Kuiva maa

May 1, 2014
If missing their roadmap completely for Zen4 is "on cadence" then hey, great. Not like Intel will be on time either. Comet Lake-S was 5 months late, Tiger Lake looks late. At this rate Alder Lake-S may be a 2022 CPU. Ignoring how late Intel really is when you consider the damage 10nm has done to their launch schedule.

Okay. Why?

Neither do I. And unless mistaken, desktop Zen 4 is slated for early 2022 so I don't quite see what's the problem with an October 2020 Zen 3 release. But then again I won't claim I am 100% sure I am up to speed with either vendor's roadmaps.

cortexa99

Jul 2, 2018

The next person to say Zen 3 is delayed gets a slap.

How many times does this stuff need to be reiterated until people get the idea?

AFAIK, some guys that restricted by NDA has tested Zen3 ES which is made in 2019, so a release before 2021 is plausible.:p
(wait, what? this is intel icelake thread?@_@)

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The next person to say Zen 3 is delayed gets a slap.

AMD didn't say "our launch cadence is 12-18 months" when they released a roadmap of Zen2 in 2019, Zen3 in 2020, and Zen4 in 2021 (a roadmap they have never retracted). If Zen3 launches so late that Zen4's market window is now 2022, it's late. I don't know how many other ways I can say this, or why we're discussing this in an Intel thread, when the whole reason why this got started was that I was reacting to one of @Dave2150 's posts where he seemed to think Intel's upcoming releases (which are horribly late) are somehow exciting, when they really aren't.

Reactions: Lodix

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
AMD didn't say "our launch cadence is 12-18 months" when they released a roadmap of Zen2 in 2019, Zen3 in 2020, and Zen4 in 2021 (a roadmap they have never retracted). If Zen3 launches so late that Zen4's market window is now 2022, it's late. I don't know how many other ways I can say this, or why we're discussing this in an Intel thread, when the whole reason why this got started was that I was reacting to one of @Dave2150 's posts where he seemed to think Intel's upcoming releases (which are horribly late) are somehow exciting, when they really aren't.

Mark Papermaster: We’re on a 12-18 month cadence, and we believe that is sustainable. It’s what the industry demands from us.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@uzzi38

So I'm corrected, Papermaster actually said that BEFORE AMD pushed their roadmap showing Zen4 in 2021. How irresponsible of them. Specifically:

2020-03-06-image-4.jpg

Zen4 is slated for 2021. Period. If they miss then it's late, and part of the reason why it may be late is that they couldn't/didn't want to get Zen3 out the door quickly enough. They will have 14 months at most to make good on their roadmap claims before Zen4 becomes a 2022 CPU. It's not like they're Intel and they're stuck on an old node or limping along on a newer, flawed node.

And let's be realistic, anyone who thinks that Alder Lake-S will be out in Q4 2021 will probably be due for disappointment.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Stop Zen 3 talk in an Intel thread. You know better than this.

Hey, at least I mentioned Alder Lake.

Speaking of delays: Tiger Lake-U is allegedly launching on Sept. 2nd. Any bets on if Rocket Lake will make it onto the market before April/May 2021?

Reactions: coercitiv

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, at least I mentioned Alder Lake.

Speaking of delays: Tiger Lake-U is allegedly launching on Sept. 2nd. Any bets on if Rocket Lake will make it onto the market before April/May 2021?
Rocket Lake brings new platform features, it depends on how quickly board partners validate for those features; so it's likely that you're right - no Rocket Lake before Q1'21.

Reactions: spursindonesia

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Rocket Lake brings new platform features, it depends on how quickly board partners validate for those features; so it's likely that you're right - no Rocket Lake before Q1'21.

I'm thinking Q2 might be possible though. Comet was massively delayed if you believed the initial reports of it hitting in Q4 2019 (it didn't). Intel may do well to get LGA1700 ready by March 2021.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yet @Dave2150 says intel will be the one laughing when they finally release a 10nm desktop product (Alder Lake) in the same general time frame AMD will release an 5nm one. He must know something we're not aware of.

Reactions: spursindonesia

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I'm thinking Q2 might be possible though. Comet was massively delayed if you believed the initial reports of it hitting in Q4 2019 (it didn't). Intel may do well to get LGA1700 ready by March 2021.
Was PCIe 4.0 on Z490 always planned? If it wasn't then that might explain the Comet Lake delay. I'm not too keen to believe the rumors regarding power delivery causing delays.

Anyway Rocket Lake brings some much needed platform features - dedicated x4 PCIe for NVMe and x8 DMI link to chipset, but I would hope that those aren't too difficult to get right once PCIe 4.0 support has been laid out.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Any bets on if Rocket Lake will make it onto the market before April/May 2021?
I still believe Intel will attempt one early SKU launch to mitigate the media fallout from the limited 2020 AMD launch. However, until I see Intel becoming a lot more talkative about their future plans I will always expect delays for high volumes, no matter the node.

Reactions: Lodix

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'm thinking Q2 might be possible though.

Zen 3 should be enough motivation for them to keep it to around CES. But anything is possible.

Was PCIe 4.0 on Z490 always planned? If it wasn't then that might explain the Comet Lake delay. I'm not too keen to believe the rumors regarding power delivery causing delays.

Delay was I believe because they delayed production to open up room for more Cascade Lake XCC.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Icelake SP Geekbench 5 submission - Linux

Stepping 4 -
Single - 1089
Multi -27708

Interesting cache configuration. L2 is 1.25MB/core like TGL up from 512KB/ core in ICL-U but L3 is down from 2MB/core on consumer ICL-U to 1.5MB/core.

Looks like Intel may be focusing on throughput over latency with the server parts. Wonder if L3 is a victim cache like SKL-SP.