Discussion Intel 9900KS review and availability thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Since the other thread was started specifically for the Tom's preview article, here's a thread for actual review discussion. I'll add links to this post as more come out. If you see a review posted in the thread not posted in the OP just send me a PM and I will update.

I haven't seen the CPU in stock anywhere yet but will update this post when I do.

In stock at newegg for $570 and at amazon for $613.75

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/intel-core-i9-9900ks-review/1/
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-10/intel-core-i9-9900ks-cpu-test/
https://www.techspot.com/review/1936-intel-core-i9-9900ks/
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900ks-special-edition-review/
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-corei9-9900ks&num=1

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Comet Lake-S may improve the situation from a value angle. Dunno if those leaks are true - we'll find out soon enough. But I suspect Comet Lake-S will bring more value to the 8c and 6c Intel segments in terms of what performance you can get per dollar.

Sounds good. We come from a high level imo.

The 8400 really raised the bar for midrange gaming. With a cheap board and cheap dual 2667 ram it was better than a 7700k in many games at the 99 frame times and at a far cheaper price. 9400f didn't move that bar. The problem was the 3600 arrived. Not only is it a bit faster but could run on cheap 3200 ram unlike the prior zen generation that really needed low latency ram for gaming. A huge disadvantage imo.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I don't know whether I should call this post OT, strawman, or something else unpleasant. Or, are you seriously trying to imply these so called problem that afflicts the 7700K also affects the octocore 9900xx processors?
How about both? Add misleading to that? Thought I had that poster on ignore. Really dont need to hear about BF for the hundred millionth time.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
How about both? Add misleading to that? Thought I had that poster on ignore. Really dont need to hear about BF for the hundred millionth time.
As I can tell Computerbase stopped systematic testing on 64 multiplayer maps. I asume because it's expensive, lots of variability and difficult. So we are back to gta5 and utter useless singleplayer bm all over the web.
BF is a fine example of future mp loads and always have been. Enjoy you low mins.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
As I can tell Computerbase stopped systematic testing on 64 multiplayer maps. I asume because it's expensive, lots of variability and difficult. So we are back to gta5 and utter useless singleplayer bm all over the web.
BF is a fine example of future mp loads and always have been. Enjoy you low mins.

You are totally overestimating how threaded BF5 MP is. It's probably one of the most threaded games out there, but not to the extent where 20% higher frequency isn't going to make a difference.

I would like to see Matisse results without SMT. I have to wonder if that might actually would be better.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
You are totally overestimating how threaded BF5 MP is. It's probably one of the most threaded games out there, but not to the extent where 20% higher frequency isn't going to make a difference.

I would like to see Matisse results without SMT. I have to wonder if that might actually would be better.

Bf1 (and all games on same engine, starwars whatever) issued 10 threads. Bf5 no less and the dx12 is far less broken here than bf1.
10 threads.
What matters is that it's very throughput limited.
But that's also why 20% higher freq gives close to 20% higher performance vs many other games. It's not more or less a memory latency benchmark, or some drawcall bm. It's an excellent game engine.

I dont understand you logic about frequency? Obviously fmax beats cores as you get benefit everywhere. In bf you get near optimal benefit from more freq excactly because you are throughput limited on the huge and intense mp maps.
There is excellent scaling on frequency for the Intel cpu and very good core scaling.

I havnt seen new real world 64 mp bm with the 8c, but with 10 threads some is surely very lightly loaded, so my guess is if you have 8 core you will have no or very little real world benefit of smt. I can safely say bf gaming on a 8700k the smt is needed here. It takes a beating and the threads is needed. Computerbase testing showed the same. I mean we can bring a 8700k to 60fps in the most intense 64 mp fights. The bf series is excactly where you need the 9900ks most.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
BF is a terrible baseline for multi-threading. It uses a crap engine.
What engine is better today? (And used)

Anyways. Better threaded engines is what we need to unleash more power. ID made some good stuff. Better will come. But that's excactly why investing in throughput via cores is future proofing. (If getting it via 10% fmax or ipc uplift is expensive as hell)

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Appears that the supply has run out of the 9900KS. That was quick.

Even the 9700K/9900K is pretty unavailable. Amazon says right now 1-2 months for the 9900K.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I was able to get a 9900KS, in a special drawstring cloth bag (with the weird gem shape box inside lol). Also bought a new Chronus Black DH15 for it.

I'll post the ID info and the OC results once I get a chance to build the damn thing. I have had it for a little while now, but too much going on to get to the fun stuff sigh.

Reactions: lightmanek

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Not sure what point you are trying to make. I never mentioned Amazon.

In stock and shipping.

Both CPUs are available and ready to ship tomorrow on B&H.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not sure what point you are trying to make. I never mentioned Amazon.

In stock and shipping.

Both CPUs are available and ready to ship tomorrow on B&H.

Sure, if you want to buy it from a 3rd party seller on Newegg (Antonline).

But I just checked and B&H Photo does have it in stock.....for $510.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Sure, if you want to buy it from a 3rd party seller on Newegg (Antonline).

But I just checked and B&H Photo does have it in stock.....for $510.

I still don't get what point you're trying to make? Someone is claiming they can't find it and I found it available on 3 different sites, without any real research. Just helping the guy if he is looking for it. He also stated the 9900KS was sold out. It's readily available on B&H.

9900K is also available on BestBuy for $510 as well.

EDIT: Antonline has been around since 1996 and has an A+ BBB rating. I think you'll be OK. It is also available from Beach Audio and several other sellers.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I still don't get what point you're trying to make? Someone is claiming they can't find it and I found it available on 3 different sites, without any real research. Just helping the guy if he is looking for it. He also stated the 9900KS was sold out. It's readily available on B&H.

9900K is also available on BestBuy for $510 as well.
The only reason I said anything is because I was looking at the stock of them in another thread right before I saw your post. I was aware they were out of stock at Amazon and Newegg. I hadn't checked Best Buy or BH Photo.

Just responded in case someone was looking to buy one at those two places, only to go there to see they were OOS. That's the only "point".

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
B&H I personally highly recommend. Just spent $15k with them in September for a new 4K camera and buy from them quite a bit. So if anyone is looking, start there.

No problem. I just wasn't sure why you posted the Amazon photo and said Newegg was OOS. Technically, they aren't, but yes, it's through a 3rd party.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Fwiw, these things are coming and going quite fast. I kept checking MC, and finally it said 10+ available in the Dallas store. Rushed in and got mine, then big brother wanted one, turned around that afternoon to get another, gone. Since then they have gone in and out of of stock (10+ to OOS and back) several times. So it wouldn't surprise me if retailers web sites frequently showed different status depending on the day/hour.

It's at least easier to get (more stock/less demand?)than the 3900/3950 are. I flat have given up on those. I think it's probably both. 3900/3950 are better options for most users outside of pure gaming rigs anyway, and it really seems like AMD has significant issues getting them out in any quantity according to the MC manager at the Dallas store. Maybe less than a couple dozen in total since launch for the region's MC locations.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I right now have an i7-4930k and I'm wondering if we are getting close enough to the 10th Gen Intel CPU's release date that I should stop hoping that stores will lower the 9900KS to MSRP. I want to get the 9900KS at MSRP but not at it's current price that stores are charging for it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I right now have an i7-4930k and I'm wondering if we are getting close enough to the 10th Gen Intel CPU's release date that I should stop hoping that stores will lower the 9900KS to MSRP. I want to get the 9900KS at MSRP but not at it's current price that stores are charging for it.
Even the regular 9900K is selling over MSRP right now.

I think mentioned it to you before in another thread, if you really want a 9900KS, you might as well bite the bullet and order one. The 9900KS is not a logical purchase at all since it's a "limited edition" CPU, so that would be your call if it's worth paying $160 more for it over a regular 9900K.