• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Discussion Intel 9900KS review and availability thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Comet Lake-S may improve the situation from a value angle. Dunno if those leaks are true - we'll find out soon enough. But I suspect Comet Lake-S will bring more value to the 8c and 6c Intel segments in terms of what performance you can get per dollar.
Sounds good. We come from a high level imo.

The 8400 really raised the bar for midrange gaming. With a cheap board and cheap dual 2667 ram it was better than a 7700k in many games at the 99 frame times and at a far cheaper price. 9400f didn't move that bar. The problem was the 3600 arrived. Not only is it a bit faster but could run on cheap 3200 ram unlike the prior zen generation that really needed low latency ram for gaming. A huge disadvantage imo.

ondma

Mar 18, 2018
I don't know whether I should call this post OT, strawman, or something else unpleasant. Or, are you seriously trying to imply these so called problem that afflicts the 7700K also affects the octocore 9900xx processors?
How about both? Add misleading to that? Thought I had that poster on ignore. Really dont need to hear about BF for the hundred millionth time.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
How about both? Add misleading to that? Thought I had that poster on ignore. Really dont need to hear about BF for the hundred millionth time.
As I can tell Computerbase stopped systematic testing on 64 multiplayer maps. I asume because it's expensive, lots of variability and difficult. So we are back to gta5 and utter useless singleplayer bm all over the web.
BF is a fine example of future mp loads and always have been. Enjoy you low mins.

jpiniero

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2010
As I can tell Computerbase stopped systematic testing on 64 multiplayer maps. I asume because it's expensive, lots of variability and difficult. So we are back to gta5 and utter useless singleplayer bm all over the web.
BF is a fine example of future mp loads and always have been. Enjoy you low mins.
You are totally overestimating how threaded BF5 MP is. It's probably one of the most threaded games out there, but not to the extent where 20% higher frequency isn't going to make a difference.

I would like to see Matisse results without SMT. I have to wonder if that might actually would be better.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
You are totally overestimating how threaded BF5 MP is. It's probably one of the most threaded games out there, but not to the extent where 20% higher frequency isn't going to make a difference.

I would like to see Matisse results without SMT. I have to wonder if that might actually would be better.
Bf1 (and all games on same engine, starwars whatever) issued 10 threads. Bf5 no less and the dx12 is far less broken here than bf1.
10 threads.
What matters is that it's very throughput limited.
But that's also why 20% higher freq gives close to 20% higher performance vs many other games. It's not more or less a memory latency benchmark, or some drawcall bm. It's an excellent game engine.

I dont understand you logic about frequency? Obviously fmax beats cores as you get benefit everywhere. In bf you get near optimal benefit from more freq excactly because you are throughput limited on the huge and intense mp maps.
There is excellent scaling on frequency for the Intel cpu and very good core scaling.

I havnt seen new real world 64 mp bm with the 8c, but with 10 threads some is surely very lightly loaded, so my guess is if you have 8 core you will have no or very little real world benefit of smt. I can safely say bf gaming on a 8700k the smt is needed here. It takes a beating and the threads is needed. Computerbase testing showed the same. I mean we can bring a 8700k to 60fps in the most intense 64 mp fights. The bf series is excactly where you need the 9900ks most.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
BF is a terrible baseline for multi-threading. It uses a crap engine.
What engine is better today? (And used)

Anyways. Better threaded engines is what we need to unleash more power. ID made some good stuff. Better will come. But that's excactly why investing in throughput via cores is future proofing. (If getting it via 10% fmax or ipc uplift is expensive as hell)

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY