Insurance Claim Advice

samhu

Dec 29, 2017
Hi,
I recently rammed my car into a tree while parking it (unintentionally pressed accelerator instead of break). The hood is damaged and one of the head light glass is broken. I took the car to couple of auto body shops and they recommended I use Insurance claim as the cost would be high (> $1k). I have insurance with Metromile and a driving history of almost 3 years; however the car is pretty new (< 6 months old).
I have contacted the insurance company to initiate a claim. Awaiting the adjuster to arrive and inspect the damage. I have never filed a claim before. I am feeling a bit lost in this entire setup.

Any guidance/help/experience you have would be really helpful !!

Thank-you

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Unless the bill comes in way over $1,000 you are going to lose going through insurance. Especially when they raise your premium for filing a claim. I would talk to the body shop and tell them you will not be using insurance. They can work with you on the price. Either way, the first $1,000 is coming from you for your deductible.

samhu

Dec 29, 2017
Unless the bill comes in way over $1,000 you are going to lose going through insurance. Especially when they raise your premium for filing a claim. I would talk to the body shop and tell them you will not be using insurance. They can work with you on the price. Either way, the first $1,000 is coming from you for your deductible.

The auto shop has quoted me $2k. When the adjuster arrives and does he/her assessment, does he/she negotiate on the amount that needs to be paid by the insurance? or is the insurance company going to pay the amount after the deductible as quoted by the auto body shop? If its going to be negotiated, do I need to contact the auto body shop to negotiate on my behalf?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
They pay what the shop will charge, subject to the adjuster's determination of damages. For a fairly new car, they should agree on what is damaged and the cost to fix it properly. You pay your deductible and insurance pays the rest.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
The final amount to be paid is between you and the insurance company. The shop supplies a "good faith" estimate. At that point the ins and the shop negotiate a figure for the estimated repairs. What the insurance company ultimately pays may be a different figure. The shop can submit an add-on to the claim, based on what they find during the repair. If you are dealing with a reputable insurance company all you should be out after the repair is your deductible less any depreciation. The depreciation is one point where you can negotiate. If you decide not to have the shop do the repair and pocket the money is your decision. Note that any other later claims may be affected .