Instant Pot owners, what's your favorite recipie?

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
While this thing rules for tasty meals in a short time, I have decided that is not the best feature. It is being able to pull out the roast or chicken, and make the gravy right there in the same pot. No extra pots or pans, and super easy clean up. Best gift I have gotten in a long time, as I would have never bought one on my own.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
While this thing rules for tasty meals in a short time, I have decided that is not the best feature. It is being able to pull out the roast or chicken, and make the gravy right there in the same pot. No extra pots or pans, and super easy clean up. Best gift I have gotten in a long time, as I would have never bought one on my own.

They are a bit different but I have a stovetop pressure cooker that will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. I do the same thing, cook the meat and then build a sauce with it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
They are a bit different but I have a stovetop pressure cooker that will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. I do the same thing, cook the meat and then build a sauce with it.
I grew up with the noise of my Mother using her's for many meals. The rattle that old thing would make was crazy. It was given to her by her mother, so it must have been from the 20's or 30's. I think the rattle was at its end of life and the release piston? was worn out.

Feb 4, 2009
Tonight’s creation:

93BB7ADA-61F2-45C5-B10F-E5C030684B0D.jpeg

Pork with balsamic vinegar and gravy

Recipe below, I didn’t add soy, I did add some vegetable broth instead of water. I couldn’t find tenderloins so I used the grilling type pork and upped the cook time to 15 minutes since it was a bigger cut.
Overall pretty good. I’ll definitely make it again just use half the balsamic and cook longer meat was cooked well good but slightly tough.

Attachments

• DB401A67-9631-4085-9C78-D94F411AB1BF.jpeg
    DB401A67-9631-4085-9C78-D94F411AB1BF.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 4

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am loving the meatloaf I make in the Instant Pot.

I also got me a 5 lb boneless pork loin. I am sure I can make several different meals with that.

Reactions: Kaido

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Not sure why but i was expecting a bunch more "pot" stuff in here but its not THAT kind of pot i take it? :p

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I did a modified version of the twosleevers butter chicken the other day (Google it.) Basically, I added a bit more of a traditional variation—I marinated the chicken thighs overnight in yogurt, garlic, ginger, S&P, spices rather than just adding it naked into the pot. I also started off with sautéed onions in ghee, more garlic, more ginger and spices before deglazing with broth, and then adding everything else and sealing the lid. After pressure cooking I finished it off following the recipe. It was spectacular.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Link to recipe if possible ? :cool:

Like to try it assuming of course I can find ground beef... :eek:

Actually now that you mention it ;)
recipe:

and for pics:

To be honest, just use whatever meatloaf recipe you like. Bear in mind a 6qt unit can't do a big loaf. 2-3lbs is plenty for 1 or 2 people.

Reactions: Captante
Feb 4, 2009
This doesn’t go down as a favorite however it is satisfying good.

real quick to prep, I didn’t follow the recipe exactly.
I sautéed one chopped onion
Used about 1/2 the meat but it was a nicely marbled chuck roast
Used about 1/2 the butter
Added more peppers and about 1/2 cup of the pepper juice.

Came out pretty good. I’ll definitely make this during a snow storm.

going to try this version next time

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Pressure Luck has a lot of great recipes! My IP has been relegated to making sides for the past month or so because of my APO. Although the APO does some really amazing sides, especially veggies that you can steam then roast! I need to get a second APO lol.

I still prefer corn & hardboiled eggs in the IP. The shells on the eggs come apart soooooo easily after being pressure cooked! Plus corn is just unbeatable - 4 minutes High Pressure QPR & take the lid off RIGHT AWAY (otherwise it will make the corn soggy). That & chili! Plus it's soup season now with the cold & all, and I've already started putting the Souper Cubes to good use filling up my freezer for the winter! I think this is the year I'm going to nail my perfect broth. Still a long ways away from truly amazing ramen broth tho haha.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

:)

Feb 4, 2009

haha the first video is going to be my next version. I had no idea how fabulous the author sounded.
His looks pretty salty I’m not using salted butter.
The meat I used looked nearly identical to that, I seared it like he did. He is right it tastes kind of like a short rib and it’s really good.

I did do the semi roux with the McCormick mix.
Thanks for posting the video.

Reactions: Iron Woode

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I finally got a Best Buy branded one a couple months ago, and so far I'm enjoying it. Not really doing anything fancy, just makes cooking a roast much more viable since I don't have to plan to have it in the slow cooker by 12PM-1PM to have it ready for dinner in time. Bonus was discovering how well frozen chicken breasts cook in it.

Feb 4, 2009
I finally got a Best Buy branded one a couple months ago, and so far I'm enjoying it. Not really doing anything fancy, just makes cooking a roast much more viable since I don't have to plan to have it in the slow cooker by 12PM-1PM to have it ready for dinner in time. Bonus was discovering how well frozen chicken breasts cook in it.

Yeah it is real good for stews or making broth. Chicken comes out consistently good.
Only downside is nothing browns unless you sear and everything comes out like a stew even if it’s not a stew but that’s okay with me. Definitely deserves a spot in my kitchen.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

It can be an intimidating machine at first, because it's not like a skillet where you can just figure it out for frying up fish or a grilled cheese sandwich or scrambled eggs or whatever. Much of the power lies in Pinterest haha. I make everything from chili to crack chicken to chocolate lava cakes in mine, it's a beast!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah it is real good for stews or making broth. Chicken comes out consistently good.
Only downside is nothing browns unless you sear and everything comes out like a stew even if it’s not a stew but that’s okay with me. Definitely deserves a spot in my kitchen.

I call mine the Magic Soup Machine. Pushbutton soups, stews, bisques, chilis, broths, stocks, etc. I actually just bought another pack of Souper Cubes to speed up the storage process haha:

Soup bricks are BRILLIANT:

• Love
Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Feb 4, 2009
^^^^^I have some boneless pork chops in mine literally right now.
Some pre made gravy mix, onions, garlic, celery, bit of white wine and a bay leaf just in case.
I’m going for some shredded pork with a nice gravy I can put over my home grown potatoes tonight.
I used to get scared just free styling stuff but not now. Stuff is always going to be cooked more than enough to get rid of germs and if I fail whatever.

Haven’t decided if I’m going to add a little cream to to gravy or thicken it with butter/flour mix or corn starch or not at all. Going to be an adventure

Edit: Mushrooms will absolutely be added at the end

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yes, I decided I'd heard enough good things that when I moved, I left the old slow cooker behind and got this puppy after I was settled in, no real reason for me to own both.

Feb 4, 2009
I call mine the Magic Soup Machine. Pushbutton soups, stews, bisques, chilis, broths, stocks, etc. I actually just bought another pack of Souper Cubes to speed up the storage process haha:

Soup bricks are BRILLIANT:

You mentioned these in the spring. I’m hoping Santa brings me a set or two.

Feb 4, 2009
Yes, I decided I'd heard enough good things that when I moved, I left the old slow cooker behind and got this puppy after I was settled in, no real reason for me to own both.

Honestly I am shocked how good the chuck steak came out from my Mississippi Roast experiment. Meat is well done but very tender and flavorful.
I’m glad I tried that simple McCormick mix even if I’ll never use it again. Stuff tastes good enough and I learned the IP works great for chuck roast too.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I believe a chuck roast was the very first thing I cooked in mine, I just wasn't overly fond of the seasoning from the recipe I followed. So now I pretty much just throw in whatever seasonings appeal to me at the time.

Feb 4, 2009
I believe a chuck roast was the very first thing I cooked in mine, I just wasn't overly fond of the seasoning from the recipe I followed. So now I pretty much just throw in whatever seasonings appeal to me at the time.

Might have been my first time cooking beef in it.

Feb 4, 2009
^^^^^I have some boneless pork chops in mine literally right now.
Some pre made gravy mix, onions, garlic, celery, bit of white wine and a bay leaf just in case.
I’m going for some shredded pork with a nice gravy I can put over my home grown potatoes tonight.
I used to get scared just free styling stuff but not now. Stuff is always going to be cooked more than enough to get rid of germs and if I fail whatever.

Haven’t decided if I’m going to add a little cream to to gravy or thicken it with butter/flour mix or corn starch or not at all. Going to be an adventure

Edit: Mushrooms will absolutely be added at the end

OMG this is so good
2D3C135C-02D7-4EB8-B4AF-C8B8DF6397B5.jpeg

Basic butter flour mix to thicken, some black pepper, mushrooms and more powdered garlic.
I am so looking forward to having this with some mashed potatoes tonight.
Wish I made more of it