Instant Pot owners, what's your favorite recipie?

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I was thinking of adding a little brown sugar to my pulled pork. Would I add it with the vinegar or wait until I add tomato paste?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I decided to make brown rice today.

I didn't buy any name brand stuff. I bought the Walmart brand Great Value stuff.

I took 3 cups and washed it. Added it and an equal amount of water and some minced garlic and some salt to the instant pot.

cooked on high for 15 mins and then a natural release for 5 mins followed by a quick release.

I then moved it into a large bowl and added some mixed veggies, onions and diced hot Italian sausage. I added a bit of soy sauce and some oil.

Added a bit of seasoned salt and cayenne pepper.

This was amazing rice. Not much different than white but with a slightly different flavour.

Plus 2 grams of fibre per 1/4 cup.

:)

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Made the kalua pork recipe from nomnompaleo and it was really good. Simple salty pork that came out perfectly tender, and was a great option as a quick BBQ pulled pork. I just piled up the pork on some toast, and had several sauces to eat it with. Also made a corn bread casserole that went well with it.

Really hit the spot
I believe the recipe cited here is here.

Gonna give it a look-see...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
took the plunge and ordered one from Amazon yesterday... solely based from the rave reviews in this thread
Good move. Ordered mine a few days before TG. Sat sadly on my kitchen counter for a month before I did anything with it. Now it's getting almost daily use. Just the fact that it's keeping the humidity in my house low enough where my window interiors aren't dripping water in the winter is reason enough to love it. Also, if I make a pot of beans, the whole house does not smell of beans! The vast area of culinary extravagance that I saw posted about with regard to the IP got my attention. The off-the-charts enthusiasm that IP has garnered got my attention. Don't remember what got me thinking to buy one, but have it now and am loving it more and more.

Reactions: Iron Woode

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Good move. Ordered mine a few days before TG. Sat sadly on my kitchen counter for a month before I did anything with it. Now it's getting almost daily use. Just the fact that it's keeping the humidity in my house low enough where my window interiors aren't dripping water in the winter is reason enough to love it. Also, if I make a pot of beans, the whole house does not smell of beans! The vast area of culinary extravagance that I saw posted about with regard to the IP got my attention. The off-the-charts enthusiasm that IP has garnered got my attention. Don't remember what got me thinking to buy one, but have it now and am loving it more and more.
I love the smell of baked beans in the morning. Smells like awesome!

I am getting hungry now...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I love the smell of baked beans in the morning. Smells like awesome!

I am getting hungry now...
The IP does give off some smell but it's pretty limited. I have a pretty acute sense of smell, is my feeling. Have never been tested (wonder if they have tests for that), but mine's not too bad.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The IP does give off some smell but it's pretty limited. I have a pretty acute sense of smell, is my feeling. Have never been tested (wonder if they have tests for that), but mine's not too bad.
I used to make baked beans in my crock pot and it made the place smell awesome. memories....

:D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I used to make baked beans in my crock pot and it made the place smell awesome. memories....

My mom lost her sense of smell entirely at the end. My dad went nearly blind at the end. Both were pretty darn deaf at the end. I'm OK on all scores so far, fingers crossed. No smell, can't hear, can't see kinda sucks.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
My mom lost her sense of smell entirely at the end. My dad went nearly blind at the end. Both were pretty darn deaf at the end. I'm OK on all scores so far, fingers crossed. No smell, can't hear, can't see kinda sucks.
that's a pretty hard thing to deal with. Hopefully, it doesn't happen to you.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Trying to stay healthy. My heart is fine, they tell me. Blood pressure too. Important factors.
my heart has issues that I have described in my post in the Health & Fitness sub-forum.

plus my diabetes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
my heart has issues that I have described in my post in the Health & Fitness sub-forum.

plus my diabetes.
My kidney function is fine too. My blood tests are AFAIK pretty stellar. I really believe in blood tests since one identified a potentially very serious problem, hyperparathyroidism, back around 2002. I had an operation that fixed it. Absent that blood test (that showed I had a high calcium level in my blood) I'd have had issues going forward. I was asymptomatic except for the blood test. But that blood test saved me from what would have become a serious problem. My calcium levels are normal now.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My kidney function is fine too. My blood tests are AFAIK pretty stellar. I really believe in blood tests since one identified a potentially very serious problem, hyperparathyroidism, back around 2002. I had an operation that fixed it. Absent that blood test (that showed I had a high calcium level in my blood) I'd have had issues going forward. I was asymptomatic except for the blood test. But that blood test saved me from what would have become a serious problem. My calcium levels are normal now.
I personally to throw a pork shoulder in the slow cooker with carrots and potatoes and even onions with some beef brother and a little salt and pepper!!
Talk about tender!!!

Feb 4, 2009
Free-styled some chicken stew, I only had a vague plan but it came out decent

Apx 2lbs chicken breast
Around 3 cup of celery, carrots, onion (total I eyeballed it)
Sautéed the mirepoix a bit mix of olive oil & butter
Added flour and made a basic roux
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
About 2 cups of red potatoes
20 minute high pressure or was it 18 minutes? Slow release
Then added some cremini (spelling?) canned mushrooms
Some sour cream to color it better
Some frozen peas
**I took the cooked chicken out and shredded it then added it back to the pot**

Not my best stew ever but it was easy to put together. Chicken was super tender.
Roux thickened it good, I don’t like thin stews but it did have a bit of flour taste
Next run I will season the chicken more whole meal was very low salt which made it a bit bland
Warning some of it burned on the bottom of the instapot. I sort of liked bumping into a burned carrot, others may not.
@Kaido think I should use corn starch instead of a roux next time?
Yeah I use cornstarch a lot with the Instant Pot, because it doesn't leak out water like a stovetop pot or slowcooker would, so it doesn't reduce unless you leave it on saute mode with the lid off after pressure-cooking. The procedure is:

1. Pressure-cook
2. Mix a half cup or so of the IP bowl's liquid with cornstarch in a separate bowl to make a slurry (it will just clump up if you add it straight into the pot)
3. Mix the slurry back into the pot & let sit on either keep-warm or low-saute to thicken up

I even do this with stuff like crack chicken, just to thicken it up a bit to put on sandwiches & stuff.

Round two of Chicken Stew
Used green beans plus the usual onion, celery and carrot. Some mushrooms & peas in there too.
This batch came out way more tasty than the first attempt. I used more thyme, garlic and about the same rosemary.
Appears ground thyme works better for this.
@Kaido I followed the corn starch instructions, equal parts cold water & corn starch. Thickened it mostly but not enough. I’ll try your method next time, instructions didn’t mention simmering.

22F01690-D7A2-4506-A453-96CF8BFAD759.jpeg

Next time I’ll add a couple of bay leaves to even it out, definitely more than one cup of wine since it doesn’t reduce with the instapot. Chicken is perfect at 25 minutes, potatoes and carrots are a little soft but yummy.

Reactions: Kaido

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I experimented with cooking a whole chicken in my instant pot yesterday.

I used a 5lb bird and used 1 1/2 cups of water, added a bit of liquid smoke before putting in the trivet. I put the chicken on the trivet and then added some seasonings like seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and some Italian seasoning. I then cooked on high for 35 mins and a 15 min natural release.

When done I put it on a baking sheet lined with foil and stuck it under the broiler for a few mins to crisp it up a bit.

I let it sit on the stove top for 10 min and then cut into it. It was so juicy and tender.

I am making a chicken sandwich right now.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
So that took longer than just spatchcocking it on the sheet and roasting it in the oven. And now you get to clean your instant pot. Win?

Feb 4, 2009
Tonight's creation,

DA6ED34B-595D-468F-A97D-DC83FAABE4EC.jpeg

Cabbage, onion, carrots, gold potatoes and turkey kielbasa.

came out pretty good, needs garlic for next time. Over cooked it too otherwise tasty.

One Onion
About 3 mid sized potatoes
some butter
small head of cabbage
some carrots
Kielbasa

Rough cut everything.

All into the pot with one cup of chicken broth. I cooked for 5 minutes at high pressure with a 5 minute natural release. Next time I'll do 2 or 3 minutes cook time.

Attachments

• D1F816CD-5377-4631-BB2C-25EC54A22C6C.jpeg
    D1F816CD-5377-4631-BB2C-25EC54A22C6C.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Muse and Kaido

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Tonight's creation,

View attachment 19024

came out pretty good, needs garlic for next time. Over cooked it too otherwise tasty.

One Onion
some butter
small head of cabbage
some carrots
Kielbasa

Rough cut everything.

All into the pot with one cup of chicken broth. I cooked for 5 minutes at high pressure with a 5 minute natural release. Next time I'll do 2 or 3 minutes cook time.
most veggies cook fast in the IP. 4 mins is all I use.

You can also do an instant release with veggies.

PS: all you need is some rutabaga in there to make it complete.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Round two of Chicken Stew
Used green beans plus the usual onion, celery and carrot. Some mushrooms & peas in there too.
This batch came out way more tasty than the first attempt. I used more thyme, garlic and about the same rosemary.
Appears ground thyme works better for this.
@Kaido I followed the corn starch instructions, equal parts cold water & corn starch. Thickened it mostly but not enough. I’ll try your method next time, instructions didn’t mention simmering.

View attachment 17717

Next time I’ll add a couple of bay leaves to even it out, definitely more than one cup of wine since it doesn’t reduce with the instapot. Chicken is perfect at 25 minutes, potatoes and carrots are a little soft but yummy.

1 - I've found that, for whatever reason, the pressure-cooking method tends to reduce flavors somewhat, so I have to use more flavorings (spices etc.) than I would normally (like in a crockpot or on the stove)

2 - yeah, do a cornstarch slurry in a small bowl (it will lump up otherwise if you just dump it in), then stir in, then let it simmer using saute mode or just stay on "keep warm" for like 10 minutes to thicken up a bit. That's what I do with crack chicken & other recipes. You can also drain some water out, depending on the texture you're going for (more soupy, less soupy, etc.)

3 - bay leaves are so weird. They're a supporting character, like the funny guy who plays off the main actor in a movie. You don't necessarily notice when they're in a dish, but you definitely notice when they're not in a dish lol.

I tell people most recipes in the Instant Pot take at least 3 times to perfect, but once you get it, you can replicate it pretty much every single time because it's a controlled environment. I usually make it once as written in the recipe, then tweak it to get it right (which sometimes requires doing several times to nudge it to where I want it), then make it a final time to make sure I can replicate it. Then, whenever I want say pulled pork or chili or whatever, I know it's going to come out really good, instead of being a question mark of maybe it will come out good & may not, haha.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Tonight's creation,

View attachment 19024

One Onion
some butter
small head of cabbage
some carrots
Kielbasa

Rough cut everything.

Thanks. Think I'll try that... I have all that stuff, different kind of sausage, but whatever.

Just finished making an instant pot 14 hour delayed batch of pinto beans:

20 oz washed pinto beans
45 oz water
A bit of salt
~3-4 T New Mexico chili powder

22 minutes high pressure, no keep warm

Came out fabulous. Could mash half the beans with potato masher, but don't think I'll bother. The beans are hell of tender and taste fantastic. May add some fried onion & bacon, but perfectly fine as is. Gonna put in quart containers in fridge for microwave heat-up through the coming days. A bit of my home-grown tomato hot sauce (pre-canned) and some terrific cheddar on top, a great quick feed.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks. Think I'll try that... I have all that stuff, different kind of sausage, but whatever. Just finished a 14 hour delayed pot of pinto beans:

20 oz washed pinto beans
45 oz water
A bit of salt
~3-4 T New Mexico chili powder

22 minutes high pressure, no keep warm

Came out fabulous. Could mash half the beans with potato masher, but don't think I'll bother. The beans are hell of tender and taste fantastic. May add some fried onion & bacon, but perfectly fine as is. Gonna put in quart containers in fridge for microwave heatup through the coming days.

Excellent!
If the sausage isn’t cooked I’d cook it first.