Instant Pot owners, what's your favorite recipie?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The slow cooker mode on mine sucks, more like a keep warm on a Crock-Pot than a high on a Crock-Pot.
Thanks for the info, I have not tried the function yet. Seems superfluous since I can use the pressure cooker functions, using recipes for natural pressure release, and the keep warm function will then last for 10hrs.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks for the info, I have not tried the function yet. Seems superfluous since I can use the pressure cooker functions, using recipes for natural pressure release, and the keep warm function will then last for 10hrs.
Yeah, for some reason I like roast out of a normal slow cooker better than out of the instant pot. I also have some other soup recipes for slow cookers that I haven't wanted to mess with trying to convert to an instant pot.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, for some reason I like roast out of a normal slow cooker better than out of the instant pot. I also have some other soup recipes for slow cookers that I haven't wanted to mess with trying to convert to an instant pot.
beef stew in the IP is so awesome.

Boston baked beans in the IP is awesome.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I usually herb and spice rub the roast and sear using the saute' function before closing it up. Then remove the wire rack after a quick release, add root vegetables, and finish everything off - Remove the beef and vegies, hit the saute' button again, and make the gravy. It took a couple of goes with the same weight roast to get the time right, but the results are yum yum. And only one pot to clean is a big win in my book.

Reactions: Zorba
Feb 4, 2009
Need help with some pulled pork, I need to make some for a Saturday cookout (yes all at risk plus more are vaccinated).
I don’t really like bbq things does this recipe look good?

Also should I season the pork as described and add sauce?

@Kaido

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Need help with some pulled pork, I need to make some for a Saturday cookout (yes all at risk plus more are vaccinated).
I don’t really like bbq things does this recipe look good?

Also should I season the pork as described and add sauce?

@Kaido

Yup, that's a good recipe! Make it ahead of time - things like pulled pork & chili develop more complex (i.e. better) flavors when you leave them in the fridge for a day or three.

I would offer sauce as an option & let people build their own sandwiches.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Just bought a 9in1 IP AFer, always scared of using PCer, how dumb proof is it?

Have some Ox tail and 1/2 bottle of red, any pointer on how to use that thing for stew? I read about PC for 45min then 15 of natural release, mean just turn it off and let it sit?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

Have some Ox tail and 1/2 bottle of red, any pointer on how to use that thing for stew? I read about PC for 45min then 15 of natural release, mean just turn it off and let it sit?
The IP is pretty idiot proof.

If this is your first time then I suggest lots of reading and/or videos. There are many great youtube channels that can teach you things pretty fast.

natural release just means letting it sit and it will slowly depressurize. Quick release is bad for meats but fine for veggies.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

So back in the day, pressure cookers were pretty good, then post-WWII, they cheaped out on the design & materials and they got a reputation for shooting their lids to the ceilings, which was scary! The new ones have a ton of safety features, including a bank vault-style locking lid.

A pressure cooker works by using a special type of steam called "saturated steam", which is different from steaming food. Basically, it uses an induction heater to vaporize a cup of water inside the locked pot, and because it can't go anywhere due to the locked lid, it increases the PSI internally, which boosts the boiling point from 212F to 242F (11.6 PSI in the Instant Pot). The result is that it can cook food 4 times faster than normal on average, although it varies from dish to dish (can be 2x, can be 10x). It also doesn't require babysitting, so you can go nef on ATOT instead of having to watch the stove lol.

Braising in particular is really great in the IP because of the time reduction & hands-free cooking aspects. Like, a normal recipe for ox tail would call for at least 3 hours:

Whereas you can do it in half the time with the IP:

Another version:

One note: all pressure-cooker recipes lie. The cooking time is only one portion of the time; there are actually 3 parts:

1. Preheat (pressurization)
2. Cooking time (pressure cooking)
3. Pressure release (instant or slow)

Like an oven, a pressure cooker has to preheat by vaporizing the liquid into saturated steam, which is why you need at least a cup of liquid in the pot. Then it does the pressure-cooking job at 242F in a standard Instant Pot. Then you have 3 choices:

1. Turn the knob (don't put your hand over the top of it - watch a video on Youtube for how it's done) to manually release the steam. This can take one to five minutes, depending on how much liquid is in there. Like, if you're making soup with 6 quarts of mostly liquid, it will take longer to steam-release. Once the pressure drops, the float valve will drop, and the lid can be removed. This is called "quick pressure release" or QPR.
2. Let the IP naturally come down to room temperature with the heat either off or set to warming mode. This can take between a few minutes to 45 minutes, depending on what's in the pot. This is called "natural pressure release" or NPR.
3. Some recipes also call for a hybrid NPR/QPR release, where you'll let it sit for say 10 minutes, then release the rest of the steam manually.

So like, for corn on the cob, I do 4 minutes with a quick release (fresh or frozen, in the husk or out of it). Doing a natural release makes the kernels all soggy! But I do Jasmine rice with a 10-minute natural release, followed by a quick release, which lets the rice get nice & fluffy:

I currently have 3 Instant Pots going back like 7 years. I still find new stuff to make in them all the time!

Feb 4, 2009
The IP is pretty idiot proof.

If this is your first time then I suggest lots of reading and/or videos. There are many great youtube channels that can teach you things pretty fast.

natural release just means letting it sit and it will slowly depressurize. Quick release is bad for meats but fine for veggies.
Best tip is above.
Regarding meats, I take some time off the cooking and let it slowly release on its own. Takes 20 minutes give or take.
Something that says 60 minutes cook time 10 minutes natural release I will do 40 minutes cook and let the pressure end naturally.
There is some trial and error but once you know what time(s) you can consistently make it the same every time.
Don’t get discouraged if the first few meals turn out looking like mush it will be good tasting mush. Cook for less time next session.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I have a basic 6qt IP. The thing is the pressure in an IP is less than a PC. IIRC, the pressure in a PC is generally about 15psi, but in an IP it's about 13psi, so consequently it's safer. My impression is that IPs are relatively safe. I don't worry about mine. I've use PCs for many years, off and on, I'm used to them. They are big time savers and one thing I really really like about them is they don't fog up your house... they keep the steam inside, whereas other stove top cooking release steam, and 10x the odors that PCs do.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Ok the meat was tender but I made a mistake by too much liquid, forgot that it is a PC, and keep the steam inside.

Couple of quick questions.
-How do you clean the lip? Wash it like everything else?
-Can I use the SS pot on stove for browning?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ok the meat was tender but I made a mistake by too much liquid, forgot that it is a PC, and keep the steam inside.

just take it apart and hand wash
don't use the inner pot on stove, you can either brown in the IP or use a different pan.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
just take it apart and hand wash
don't use the inner pot on stove, you can either brown in the IP or use a different pan.

What are there to take apart? silicone rim, black release switch, silicone little cap on the inside. Did I miss anything?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

wash the non stainless steel stuff with a damp cloth carefully and do not immerse it in water. For this I mean the body of the IP. The lid can be washed in the sink like other dishes and you don't need to disassemble it unless you want to. You will have to let it dry before use.

You can brown foods in the instant pot using the saute function. There are videos on youtube on how that works.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

inner pot is slightly domed. if the stove warps it it won't work right.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
inner pot is slightly domed. if the stove warps it it won't work right.

There is one exception that I know of - they just released the new Instant Pot Pro Plus:

"The Pro Plus’s stainless steel cooking pot has a flat bottom and can transfer to the oven up to 400°F. It works on electric, ceramic, gas, and induction cooktops." Downside is the new model is $170 lol. But it does have some really cool features, including a bowl lock (so your bowl doesn't spin when you stir it) & remote monitoring, including remote pressure release, which is pretty cool!

1638218504130.png

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What are there to take apart? silicone rim, black release switch, silicone little cap on the inside. Did I miss anything?

Basically. On mine (not InstanPot brand) the small round steam valve cover comes off and I can wash it and the actual valve.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
@Kaido i heard years ago they were working on an inner pot that would work on a range but jebus that's a bit much. that's double the cost of a pro!

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Game changer, it is great that I can now throw some beef ribs in press 1hr and it be done the next morning or switch to AFer for some frozen hotdog and done in 5min.

What other big dinner idea do you guys have using IP?