Indictments coming...

Page 204 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Maybe this is why Oompa Loompa blasted the judge, and called him by name (so his cronies can threaten judge?)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
J6 committee has decided to make criminal referrals. No comment on who's being referred or for what crimes--though Chairman Thompson did indicate 'perjury before Congress' is possible.

Not sure if we'll see this list at the same time as the final report, or if we'll have to wait and see what DOJ does. Remember, there's a decent chance more than half of what's referred is never charged, because Justice will have a higher bar vs. Congress when it comes to reviewing the evidence and deciding whether to indict/prosecute.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Oh.... J6 committee criminal referrals? Is this something else that Trump can just ignore? Like everything else?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Now will AG get her demand to dissolve the company and ban business in NYS?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Now will AG get her demand to dissolve the company and ban business in NYS?
Not directly as a result of this trial. Tax fraud case against the Trump Org is limited to maximum punitive fine of $1.6 million (plus of course repayment of back taxes owed & interest)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Bet this is going to be where businesses really aren't people and can't be held accountable afterall.

Who am I kidding... no sucker would take that bet.
A maximum of $1.61 million in fines. The amount of the tax fraud was actually larger then the penalty for having gotten caught.
Really this is the punishment equivalent of a two dollar speeding ticket. They likely spent more on the lawyers to represent them in the case.
The only real penalty they will face is having to pay the taxes. Which they would have had to pay if they had not committed the crime.
Honestly, it sound like to me like it would be foolish for any large corporation to pay their taxes in New York.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Trump doesn't pay lawyers (unless he can do it with other peoples' money, and I don't see how he could use contributions here). I would bet Trump has already looted these companies of assets and/or a corporate bankruptcy and dissolution is in the near future.

On the positive side, NY Tax Dept has the reputation of being a terrier in collections. They won't let go ever and the keep digging.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Bet this is going to be where businesses really aren't people and can't be held accountable afterall.

Who am I kidding... no sucker would take that bet.
This is where the business will be characterized as the victim of a criminal employee which the owner of that business which was micro-managed by that owner isn't guilty of anything.

But looking into the toaster it looks to me like the toast is turning from orange gold to a darker brown and should soon pop out into an orange jump suit.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
A maximum of $1.61 million in fines. The amount of the tax fraud was actually larger then the penalty for having gotten caught.
Really this is the punishment equivalent of a two dollar speeding ticket. They likely spent more on the lawyers to represent them in the case.
The only real penalty they will face is having to pay the taxes. Which they would have had to pay if they had not committed the crime.
Honestly, it sound like to me like it would be foolish for any large corporation to pay their taxes in New York.

The largest implication of this verdict is how it may bolster the state AG civil action, which in turn could shut the Trump Org down.

Still, I agree it is disappointing. Weiselberg wouldn't testify against Trump or his kids, and got off with only 5 months himself in exchange for testifying against the company. Sounds like a terrible deal there for the prosecution. They should have pushed forward without his testimony and tried to get a conviction on him for substantial jail time.

There is still the possibility of reviving the defunct case relating Michael Cohen and Stormy Daniels. But I don't see it going anywhere. I think the NY authorities have been and will continue to be impotent in regards to Trump.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
This is where the business will be characterized as the victim of a criminal employee which the owner of that business which was micro-managed by that owner isn't guilty of anything.

But looking into the toaster it looks to me like the toast is turning from orange gold to a darker brown and should soon pop out into an orange jump suit.
Yes. The right wing spin machine will definitely say there is no connection to Trump himself. They will claim any connection is fabricated conspiracy.

They will then immediately string together a connection between an email to Hunter Biden, a potential deal (ignoring if it is legal or not), a person referenced as "the big guy", and some crime committed by Joe Biden. This they will claim is fact.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Mark Meadows messages are starting to leak out. Should be a treasure trove.

“Our last hope is Marshall Law!”: Leaked Mark Meadows texts reveal secret GOP Jan. 6 plotting | Salon.com

The trove of messages is incomplete and does not include Meadows' response. Norman did not respond to TPM when presented with a copy of the message.

The leaked messages include at least 364 texts from members of Congress to Meadows and at least 95 messages from Meadows to the lawmakers. The highest profile lawmakers involved in the plotting included Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas; Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio; and Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala. In one text message, longtime Trump adviser Jason Miller described Brooks as the "ringleader" of the effort to block the certification of the election results on Jan. 6.