Indictments coming...

Page 175 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There's not much out but an interesting thing is that the report doesn't exonerate anyone.

If it did we'd already be reading it. But we're not, of course.

The whole attorney client privilege thing is kinda cute, I'll give 'em that. It's officious sounding, but what are they talking about? What privileged communications? How could they possibly be part of the report?

I think it's fine for the Trump White House to get an advance copy. It gives Trump the opportunity to resign & save us a lot of bother. Probably not.

Guurn

Dec 29, 2012
There is a lot to take away from this. The shareable camp apparetly is still getting paid and the TDS useful idiots are still around as well. Oh well, this area of the forums apparently is still just silly. As far as the Mueller thing, everyone seems to agree he is no hero. He should be investigated and charged with election interference. In March of 2018 he stated that he was no longer investigating Trump and yet he let this charade go on through the midterms. Pretty awful.

Reactions: IJTSSG

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There is a lot to take away from this. The shareable camp apparetly is still getting paid and the TDS useful idiots are still around as well. Oh well, this area of the forums apparently is still just silly. As far as the Mueller thing, everyone seems to agree he is no hero. He should be investigated and charged with election interference. In March of 2018 he stated that he was no longer investigating Trump and yet he let this charade go on through the midterms. Pretty awful.

Give us a quote from Mueller & I'll believe you. Be sure to link the source.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Wrong. There was no evidence of collusion. Whats indeterminate is obstruction.

That's not accurate using legal standards.

Trump's "Russia are you listening" alone is a piece of evidence.

Trump firing Comey amidst a counterintelligence investigation into Russian interference is a piece of evidence.

This and other evidence helped launch the probe.

There are many pieces of evidence available to us just from public reporting.

What other evidence was discovered during the investigation?

High level people were offered plea deals to collect further evidence against even higher ups. Was was uncovered? Manafort felt compelled to lie and possibly die in prison for something...

So your statement is nowhere near accurate.

What's the unanswered question is: how high did the level of confidence get?

Not enough Mueller felt he could prove beyond a reasonable doubt against a sitting President, but that doesn't mean he's exonerated.

OJ wasn't found guilty, but no one thinks he's innocent.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The report says NO evidence of collision, not insufficient

To quote Barr's letter-

“[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”

That's different than no evidence. Take the Trump tower meeting. Jr, Jared & Manafort all tell the same semi-plausible story so conspiracy can't be established. I mean, they showed up for the conspiracy but the Russians didn't cooperate according to them so no conspiracy actually occurred. They also knew or should have known that accepting such help would be illegal right from the start but they showed up anyway.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well Barr has dropped his cards face up on the table and it's become more than apparent that he is after all of the fanfare about his creds and his integrity and blah blah blah, just another Trump apparatchik put in place to keep Trump's malfeasance hidden away from of the people.

Sad to see a guy give up his reputation, his integrity and honor in order to gain a title in name only. Trump's stench will precede Barr wherever he goes and whatever he says. His credibility is now only worth as much as Trump's.

Heh, ask any American financial institution who refused to back Trump's "deals" how much that's worth.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Well Barr has dropped his cards face up on the table and it's become more than apparent that he is after all of the fanfare about his creds and his integrity and blah blah blah, just another Trump apparatchik put in place to keep Trump's malfeasance hidden away from of the people.

Sad to see a guy give up his reputation, his integrity and honor in order to gain a title in name only. Trump's stench will precede Barr wherever he goes and whatever he says. His credibility is now only worth as much as Trump's.

Heh, ask any American financial institution who refused to back Trump's "deals" how much that's worth.
Barr mopped up for Bush I in a similar, if less public, manner. He's a reliable party member.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I like how you just make up easily disprovable bullshit and just don't care. such a useful, shameless toolbag you are.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I like how you just make up easily disprovable bullshit and just don't care. such a useful, shameless toolbag you are.

Haven't you heard? Blue chip Bullshit stocks are selling like hotcakes in the Land of Trump. Penny stocks like the truth and the facts of a matter took a dive and hit rock bottom the day after Trump got sworn in.

The folks that bought that stock simply fail to realize that outside of The land of Trump their bullshit stocks aren't worth the ink that was used to print them up.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
To quote Barr's letter-

“[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”

That's different than no evidence. Take the Trump tower meeting. Jr, Jared & Manafort all tell the same semi-plausible story so conspiracy can't be established. I mean, they showed up for the conspiracy but the Russians didn't cooperate according to them so no conspiracy actually occurred. They also knew or should have known that accepting such help would be illegal right from the start but they showed up anyway.
It's amazing how they still do not understand that Mueller simply did not take a position on collusion. He did not say it didn't happen. And that this was likely done only because he couldn't indict a sitting president. Essentially, a legal loophole. Barr is giving his opinion in his letter, not Mueller's.

Then, with regard to obstruction, again this is Barr's interpretation. His belief is that one cannot obstruct justice if a crime was not committed (collusion - criminal conspiracy). So since Mueller couldn't comment on collusion due to not being able to indict (not lack of evidence), Barr does not believe obstruction is even possible. This is a minority view in the legal world.

So, BASICALLY, in Barr's view, there's nothing Mueller could have said in his report that would lead to a criminal problem for the president - can't indict a president, so can't comment on any possible crimes committed, and since he can't be indicted, he cannot be convincted of a crime and therefore cannot obstruct justice. It's a self fulfilling prophecy based on not being able to indict a sitting president.

It still could be possible that Mueller would say collision did not happen, but we would need to see the report to say this - it is ABSOLUTELY not what is publicly known.

They just don't understand these concepts. I think it's too complicated. It's also incredibly obvious how much of this comes down to the feels of Trump and his loyalists.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's amazing how they still do not understand that Mueller simply did not take a position on collusion. He did not say it didn't happen. And that this was likely done only because he couldn't indict a sitting president. Essentially, a legal loophole. Barr is giving his opinion in his letter, not Mueller's.

Then, with regard to obstruction, again, this is Barr's interpretation. His belief is that one cannot obstruct justice if a crime was not committed (collusion - criminal conspiracy). So since Mueller couldn't comment on collusion due to not being able to indict (not lack of evidence), Barr does not believe obstruction is even possible. This is a minority view in the legal world.

It still could be possible that Mueller would say collision did not happen, but we would need too see the report to say this - it is ABSOLUTELY not what is publicly known.

They just don't understand these concepts. I think it's too complicated. It's also incredibly obvious how much of this comes down to the feels of Trump and his loyalists.

at the same time, several dozen investigations into the Clintons, over decades resulting in absolutely nothing, is just more proof that the Clintons are guilty af (of something...well, anything).

Republicans are gyrus-challenged, mush-brained idiots.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
at the same time, several dozen investigations into the Clintons, over decades resulting in absolutely nothing, is just more proof that the Clintons are guilty af (of something...well, anything).

Republicans are gyrus-challenged, mush-brained idiots.
Yep. I added to my post to be even more clear. These folks are celebrating something they don't understand that isn't saying what they think it's saying. Not to mention the dozens of other investigations which were referred by Mueller. If one thinks this is the end all be all, it's clear he doesn't really understand anything.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yep. I added to my post to be even more clear. These folks are celebrating something they don't understand that isn't saying what they think it's saying. Not to mention the dozens of other investigations which were referred by Mueller. If one thinks this is the end all be all, it's clear he doesn't really understand anything.
This is the end of the Russian collusion aspect, assuming the synopses released is accurate. I'm going to assume it is, because it would be world class stupid to lie about it.
I'll be curious to see if anything comes of the accusations from New York.

Feb 4, 2009
This is the end of the Russian collusion aspect, assuming the synopses released is accurate. I'm going to assume it is, because it would be world class stupid to lie about it.

There has been a lot of world class stupid stuff relating to ego & images regarding this White House.
I do agree I don’t think there will be a smoking gun but I do believe there will be ample stuff we can all bicker about for years.

*world class stupid:

The President dictating his health report to his old and current Dr.
The President wanting to make the current Dr. Surgeon General because he said nice things about the President
The out right probably false innaguration crowd size
“We Are Going To The Moon!”
Better healthcare than ACA in every single way but we’ve yet to see it

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

The synopsis can be both true and misleading. It is sounding like Mueller did not recommend any specific action, instead he laid out the cases for both with the 'let the evidence stand for itself' theory. Barr then made his own decision, which was basically pre-decided before he even took office since he started with the dual premises that the "President can't be charged with a crime" and "we will not discuss any crimes he can't be charged with". So, according to Barr's argument as long as Mueller's report didn't directly indict the President (which Barr has already said he could not do) then his synopsis is not a lie.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

I guess you would be the guy to recognize made up bullshit. Maybe you should go cry some more about jet fuel contracts and teenagers harassing native american elders. You must be in the running for the "biggest useful idiot" prize.