Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Sometimes I wonder how the outside world sees us

View attachment 75692

View attachment 75691
As someone working in a foreign country right now (Sweden), the answer is "not good"

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oh look. So Texaases version of the events were wrong? How can that be?
Meanwhile Fox is very concerned about the government looking at bank records for gun purchases.

Meanwhile, the local AG and a lot of the response team are still employed. Do these people not know you can vote at least the AG out?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I hear crime is going to be an issue in the next election. Why isn't the #1 cause of death for kids on the ballot??
<Sarcasm>
Still to soon to talk about it!

Also, has every other problem in the world already been solved? No? Well, what is the point if people still smoke and ride in cars?

Oh, and the Constitution does not say you have the right to bear Arms unless kids are killed! The Founding Fathers knew that kids would be murdered by the score with the millions of high powered simi-automatic guns in the hands of Americans and wanted it that way! Who are you to question the obviously perfect system they set up over 200 years ago?

And finally, it is Gods will that these kids die, if he didn't want people to shoot kids he would put a bulletproof shield around them!

See there, the logic is flawless. There is no way to argue against any of those points. *puts fingers in ear and hums*
</Sarcasm>

I think I got all the arguments right. There might be something about making liberals cry that I missed.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi
Mar 11, 2004
Oh look. So Texaases version of the events were wrong? How can that be?
Meanwhile Fox is very concerned about the government looking at bank records for gun purchases.

Meanwhile, the local AG and a lot of the response team are still employed. Do these people not know you can vote at least the AG out?

That the result of that show of cowardice wasn't public executions is proof that the 2nd Amendment is not for protecting The People from the government, but the cowards in the government from being held accountable when they let people be murdered directly under their watch.

And their subsequent behavior (press conference where they tried to act tough and just looked as pathetic as they are, while they denied all accountability for what happened). I hope all those cowards end up so haunted by this that they all try to eat bullets.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dead children are the price we pay for our freedom.

They're a small price to pay.

Fuck you, I'll be seeing you all in hell, I see what you post here

Reactions: nakedfrog

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
1 untrained shooter who had been nicknamed "school shooter" a year before the shooting
1 AR 15
1 elementary school located in Uvalde TX filled with children who were not white.
1+ hour of time
22 dead
376 law enforcement officers completely helpless to stop said shooter
Thoughts and prayers.

. . .

Thing is, God already answered the thoughts and prayers long ago?
"The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Unless your planning to murder yourself, why are you collecting the tools to murder all your neighbors? If you are planning to murder yourself, please call emergency services and let them know of your plans.

I know, you argue your just planning to protect your neighbors. From whom though, your other neighbors? Are we not supposed to love them also?

Just who are you planning to make war upon?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
View attachment 92110

gotta have our toys though

Something annoyingly paradoxical and self-contradictory about this event though. Insofar as pro-gun people can cite it as an example of how you "can't rely on the state, in the form of the police, to save you''. Because, clearly, the cops are useless and don't care about you.

The whole problem seems intractable and circular. Widespread gun ownership has a negative effect on police behaviour, which in turn makes people want guns.

Once the desire for guns becomes part of the culture it seems like it becomes a self-sustaining problem. The message I take from it all is that if you aren't already in that situation, under no circumstances let things slip and allow a gun-lobby to achieve critical-mass.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Something annoyingly paradoxical and self-contradictory about this event though. Insofar as pro-gun people can cite it as an example of how you "can't rely on the state, in the form of the police, to save you''. Because, clearly, the cops are useless and don't care about you.

The whole problem seems intractable and circular. Widespread gun ownership has a negative effect on police behaviour, which in turn makes people want guns.

Once the desire for guns becomes part of the culture it seems like it becomes a self-sustaining problem. The message I take from it all is that if you aren't already in that situation, under no circumstances let things slip and allow a gun-lobby to achieve critical-mass.
But where were the good guys with guns (tm) to quickly and heroically take down the shooter?

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
There’s a 3rd option, they weren’t there.

We used to rely on police to be the good guys with guns, but now they legally don’t have to be. So the shootings will continue as a staple of our American diet.
I remember a 'beat cop' walking around my neighborhood in the 70's. Now I might see a car drive by occasionally. I hear about officer safety a lot even with the continued militarization of police forces.

Reactions: KMFJD

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I remember a 'beat cop' walking around my neighborhood in the 70's. Now I might see a car drive by occasionally. I hear about officer safety a lot even with the continued militarization of police forces.

Civilians Militarized first.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
It'd be a lesser charge obviously but she should also be charged with child negligence. I mean her son asked her for help, numerous times...she was too busy riding horses or finding other excuses to blow him off.

Doesn't seem like she was interested in being a mother. At all. She also was trying to throw her hubby under the bus during her trial as to who was responsible for the gun they GAVE to the kid within days/weeks of the shooting.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
lGOOfu3.jpg

How could we possibly hold the mother responsible. Every true gun owner knows the responsibility lies with one holding the gun.
/s