"Incident" in London, Van Hits Pedestrians at London Bridge

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
We've had 19,000 police cuts in the last 5 years...

He should have been covered.

We in the UK have already had about three terrorist attacks, in the space of a few weeks (I might get the timings a bit wrong). I.e. this is the second recent terrorist attack in London, and of course Manchester was attacked. So there are so many attacks (currently), coming in so quickly. I suspect many would still occur, even if we had twice as many secret agents, Police and similar workers.

More Police is NOT really going to be the solution. It might help, and be done, which will be good. But many/most or at least some of the terrorist attacks will still occur in the UK. Maybe we need to get to the heart of the problem and address it.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
The UK is more than a free country, it accepts the freedom of speech and it takes it to an extreme sometimes. The politics in the UK from what I understood from some friends living in the UK is the fear of discriminating someone for their beliefs. I agree to that but there has to be an extent to which this is accepted. I agree to anyone having their own ideas, religion, politics and anything else, as long as that does not hurt other people around them, as long as they do not try in any way to impose their beliefs on someone else or judge them for having different beliefs. As long as you are making someone else uncomfortable on purpose, to try to impose your own ideas, religion or whatever it is not normal!
I understand every religion and I accept it, even so I am never going to tell someone that their religion is not good, just because it is not mine. I am never going to try to impose to someone to eat what I eat, because I eat healthy. I will never tell someone what is good or wrong unless I a asked about my opinion.
Now, this is the actual reason why all of this has happened in the UK, because someone can't accept the rules and ideas, religion and creed of the British people. As, for the the violence right now brycejones is correct, it is the past that is turning round, now it is Muslims, in the past it was the Catholic Church, protestants and whatsoever.
It just looks like a war between religions that is on an never ending spiral and gets to hurting innocent people all around! Too bad, religion should be about something completely different

I hoped and thought that things from the ancient history books. Such as burning witches at the stake, and religious wars and stuff. Were well into the past, and not something to worry about in modern times. But unfortunately, you may well be correct, and such nonsense, may be returning. Even to highly technically advanced, modern Western countries, such as the UK.

Hopefully if that situation (religious wars and stuff), gets worse and worse. The situation will be dealt with. So that the rest of us can carry on with our stuff/society/atheism/religions/freedoms.

I.e. Practicing Atheism, your religion or whatever is fine.
But terrorism and attacking people because of their beliefs (or lack of them), is totally unacceptable.

N.B. I can see that I am partly contradicting myself here. Because there could be particular religions, that need special treatment, in order to solve this problem. So the full solution, I don't know yet.

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
We've had 19,000 police cuts in the last 5 years...

He should have been covered.

I also wish he would have; none the less, that type of answer is usually used to cover one's ass.

It also implies that if we just had enough additional officers, none of this would have happened, which can never be proven.

Reactions: edcoolio

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Well you lot can think what you want.

For me, we're down 19,000 police agents, we've sold $3.5billion worth of arms to Saudi this year already, knowing full well it'll go to support ISIS, Islamophobia is rife in the streets and in the last numerous years we've leveled several largely Islamic countries.

The UK has been asking for this.

I say we stop selling arms to Saudi, we stop cutting back on defense costs, we put tighter checks on those coming and going to Military affected countries, and then we just bloody well carry on.

Nov 25, 2013

For me, we're down 19,000 police agents, we've sold $3.5billion worth of arms to Saudi this year already, knowing full well it'll go to support ISIS, Islamophobia is rife in the streets and in the last numerous years we've leveled several largely Islamic countries.

I say we stop selling arms to Saudi, we stop cutting back on defense costs, we put tighter checks on those coming and going to Military affected countries, and then we just bloody well carry on.

Your plan needs more running around in circles and screaming about the end of (Western) civilization.

Reactions: Crumpet

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

That's by and large the answer, it's not going to happen though.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Whilst we're discussing this stuff as well, can I make a point that we are currently in the period of Ramadan.

During Ramadan it is prohibited for Muslims to commit violence or fight.

These attackers cannot be Muslim.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Whilst we're discussing this stuff as well, can I make a point that we are currently in the period of Ramadan.

During Ramadan it is prohibited for Muslims to commit violence or fight.

These attackers cannot be Muslim.

Bull. It's against Christianity to murder anyone but it still happens. They're still Christian. Hell this board salivates on pointing out that fact.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You guys see that tall, frosty mug of STFU Brendan Cox sent over to Il Douche's table on twitter?

To that I can only say: Well done old boy! Slapped the orange right off that mealy mouthed shit gibbon, what?

;)

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
And severely limited what citizens could do in their own defense.

If that is the case (Guns help defend people). How come so many people die from illegal mass/terrorist shootings in the US ?

The answer is people don't have time to get their gun ready to defend themselves and/or don't have it with them and/or aren't allowed to have guns in public.

There have been a number of terrorist, mass shootings in US. I can't remember any of them being ended quickly by innocent citizens firing back and killing the attacker(s)

tl;dr
Guns don't seem to help defend people, outside in public spaces etc. Except when law enforcement have them.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
What incentive does ISIS or these young Muslims have of supposedly carrying out these attacks? Many of them appear to be doing fine in their lives. They seem to be sociable, etc. I mean, the media has all their information within hours and days so who knows what's the real story.

I'm sure Muslims know by now that the Western governments use any and all excuses to demonize and violate the Middle Eastern countries. Why would they continue to carry out these attacks if they know how the Western world would react? I just don't see a huge incentive here but what do I know. The media tells us that "The internet is radicalizing young Muslim men" so I guess it must be true. Yeah ... watch a couple of videos, join some group and your a full blown ISIS sympathizer. Just like that.

Just far too convenient.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
What incentive does ISIS or these young Muslims have of supposedly carrying out these attacks? Many of them appear to be doing fine in their lives. They seem to be sociable, etc. I mean, the media has all their information within hours and days so who knows what's the real story.

I'm sure Muslims know by now that the Western governments use any and all excuses to demonize and violate the Middle Eastern countries. Why would they continue to carry out these attacks if they know how the Western world would react? I just don't see a huge incentive here but what do I know. The media tells us that "The internet is radicalizing young Muslim men" so I guess it must be true. Yeah ... watch a couple of videos, join some group and your a full blown ISIS sympathizer. Just like that.

Just far too convenient.

So can I check my understanding, of your knowledge of ISIS.

You could fly out tomorrow, into one of the major ISIS strongholds. E.g. In Syria.
Go there and tell them you are from the West, and be absolutely 100% safe from them kidnapping, killing, beheading you etc.

For a test tell them (lie as a quick experiment) you are a Jewish, Gay and a massive Trump supporter. Let's see what happens . . . .

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Such a terrible tragedy. Which sadly seems to be the current MO for terrorist. It is easy to get a vehicle, and drive into a crowd. Humans versus a vehicle have little chance. Then jumping out and attacking the already panicked and scared crowd. Its a pretty effective tactic. Something obviously needs (or needed) to be done, I hope the powers that be can come to a logical conclusion and slow this down, or better yet stop it.

While I don't like Trumps tweet so much, as I don't like about 9/10 of his tweets. I wish he'd just stop all together. Your outrage is hypocritical, as well as others who agreed with you. A certain Presidential Candidate last year tweeted several times when a shooting occurred. Pushing her anti gun agenda, just like Trump did with his Muslim ban agenda. Yet the same outrage you show here, was not present then. At least be consistence, otherwise you're nothing but a hypocrite. Same as the others who did the same thing in this thread. So either you really don't care, or you only care when certain people do it and not others. I'll let you decide which is worse.

Toctal nonsense. He also took London's mayor out of context and tweeted a lie to the world. Insulting him and disgracing himself. With Trump it's not just that he is incompetent or ignorant, it's that he's a piece of shit. Trump is a disgusting human being, lacking in decency, morality, self-awareness and a shred of humility. The POTUS is a simply a scumbag who disgraces himself on a daily basis. Your post amounts to the usual whataboutism and trying to make excuses for a piece of shit like Trump.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
This was clearly unforeseeable.
ek8Jua4.jpg

No warnings, no patterns.

Nothing at all.

No
We know a lot about Daesh
We know who their leaders are, and where they came from

According to Iraqis, Syrians and analysts who study the group, almost all of ISIL's leaders—including the members of its military and security committees and the majority of its emirs and princes—are former Iraqi military and intelligence officers, specifically former members of Saddam Hussein's Ba'ath government who lost their jobs and pensions in the de-Ba'athification process after that regime was overthrown.[141][142][143] The former Chief Strategist in the Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism of the US State Department, David Kilcullen, has said that "There undeniably would be no Isis if we had not invaded Iraq.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant

People are shouting at you because you want to blame all Muslims for the terrorist acts

Last edited:

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
So can I check my understanding, of your knowledge of ISIS.

You could fly out tomorrow, into one of the major ISIS strongholds. E.g. In Syria.
Go there and tell them you are from the West, and be absolutely 100% safe from them kidnapping, killing, beheading you etc.

For a test tell them (lie as a quick experiment) you are a Jewish, Gay and a massive Trump supporter. Let's see what happens . . . .

After what America did to Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, Syria, etc. what incentive does anyone, any country or any group have to be at war with America?

Please don't give me your Western-conceived double standards. The West and its war mongering agenda has totally destroyed and destabilized the Middle East yet the only villains are ISIS? Yeah, sure.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
No
We know a lot about Daesh
We know who their leaders are, and where they came from

They only have one leader, the one you won't dare draw at 5% of the population, or even 1% in the US.

What CNN won't air
More video of the women who were stabbed to death by Muslims in the UK, which the Lying Press, Enemy of the People, is hiding from you:
https://twitter.com/punishedcoat/status/871201883414777856

vs the usual liberal response
cUqTWhS.jpg

Pwbh4t2.jpg

Last edited:

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
They only have one leader, the one you won't dare draw at 5% of the population, or even 1% in the US.

What CNN won't air
More video of the women who were stabbed to death by Muslims in the UK, which the Lying Press, Enemy of the People, is hiding from you:
https://twitter.com/punishedcoat/status/871201883414777856

vs the usual liberal response
cUqTWhS.jpg
You want the mainstream media to be as racist and hateful as your alt-right media? Man, they've been spreading this hate against Muslims just as much as your alt-right media. The mainstream media cheered on as the US destroyed Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, etc. You have no right to say that CNN is protecting Muslims. Just the opposite. The entire media machine, alt-right or mainstream is, FOR war.

Nov 25, 2013

Just far too convenient.

Stop shitting on the dead and injured with this conspiracy crap.

Reactions: pmv

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Toctal nonsense. He also took London's mayor out of context and tweeted a lie to the world. Insulting him and disgracing himself. With Trump it's not just that he is incompetent or ignorant, it's that he's a piece of shit. Trump is a disgusting human being, lacking in decency, morality, self-awareness and a shred of humility. The POTUS is a simply a scumbag who disgraces himself on a daily basis. Your post amounts to the usual whataboutism and trying to make excuses for a piece of shit like Trump.

What was his tweet about the mayor, I didn't see it