Impeachment coming

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Is this you continuing to be “calm?”
Yep! Nothing in there indicates my state of calmness, it's just text. It's on you if you are putting negative emotion behind it. If it causes some emotion in you, maybe you need to step back and do a self evaluation of your own emotional state. Maybe you should try to read what I was responding to and try to understand my response rather than get your panties all twisted because I responded at all.

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Well, 25th Amendment is a no-go. Looks like all aboard the Impeachment Express.

I read that Republicans are planning to have a free vote on Trump Impeachment.

Mitch McConnell is seeing a silver lining to impeachment helping rid the GOP of Trump:

Good to have Republicans saying things like this:

In a sign that the dam could be breaking against Trump in a party that has long been unfailingly loyal to him, Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 Republican in the House, announced her intention to support the single charge of high crimes and misdemeanors, as other party leaders declined to formally lobby rank-and-file lawmakers to oppose it.
“The president of the United States summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack,” Cheney said in a statement. “There has never been a greater betrayal by a president of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution.”

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

Mitch McConnell is seeing a silver lining to impeachment helping rid the GOP of Trump:

Removing him from the GOP doesn't require impeachment, and has nothing to do with it. I am pretty sure the RNC can vote him out at any time if they choose. So I take Mitch's comment as a tactical response for the GOP base to get them to believe it is best for the Party to impeach Trump, and nothing to do with what's best for the Country, as a lot of the GOP are STILL Trump supporters and believe he is best for the Country. It's the same old party before country crap that has been going on for years, and Mitch is trying to protect his own ass with the GOP base, that includes those Trump supporters.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

I'm thinking Dick Cheney is getting his licks in on Donald through his daughter. I'm so sure Dick hates Donald with a seething passion given how Donald has held the Repub base hostage for over four years and beyond.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I see a lot of movement in the house but the senate is still very stubborn. It doesn't matter how many house members support impeachment, democrats already have those votes with democrats alone, it is the senate where we need support from.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yep! Nothing in there indicates my state of calmness, it's just text. It's on you if you are putting negative emotion behind it. If it causes some emotion in you, maybe you need to step back and do a self evaluation of your own emotional state. Maybe you should try to read what I was responding to and try to understand my response rather than get your panties all twisted because I responded at all.

Its a five minute read.

Reactions: Pohemi

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I see a lot of movement in the house but the senate is still very stubborn. It doesn't matter how many house members support impeachment, democrats already have those votes with democrats alone, it is the senate where we need support from.

They won't have the Senate votes, I think.

Nov 17, 2019
I'm getting rumblings that they have the votes to convict, or very nearly so. Just need to get Mitch to call the session.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
They won't have the Senate votes, I think.

That right there is an even bigger issue than Trump himself. There should be zero problems getting the votes. If the people in office honored their oaths and put the Country and the Constitution first, rather than their own self-interests and their party, long before today, we wouldn't even be here talking about this, and Trumpism would never have been a thing. By not doing there sworn duty, they are cultivating it as well as inviting it to happen again.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
well, wouldn't that be something.

Not going to hold my breath.

...so does that mean Cruz, Hawley, Gaetz, Gymy gym Gym gyminy are next?

Reactions: soundforbjt

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Again, it would take Trump to do or to pull something really bad within the next few days and then the senate would probably go along to convict. At the WALL, Trump almost pushed it too far by whining yet taking no responsibility. Add THAT to the newly released video of the riots, and senate republicans are almost there. Donald just need say something or to do something very soon to really piss republicans off. Donald... please.... just do it. Tell senate republicans how much you hate them, and add in there Mike Pence while your at it.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Tell senate republicans how much you hate them, and add in there Mike Pence while your at it.

Trump literally sent an Angry Mob after Pence, and some were even chanting "hang Mike Pence". I don't think there is much more Trump could do to Pence to piss him off. He didn't want to do the 25th amendment for non Trump related reasons I bet. Could be partisan stuff, could be he actually didn't believe it really applies in this situation.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Trump literally sent an Angry Mob after Pence, and some were even chanting "hang Mike Pence". I don't think there is much more Trump could do to Pence to piss him off. He didn't want to do the 25th amendment for non Trump related reasons I bet. Could be partisan stuff, could be he actually didn't believe it really applies in this situation.

Trump did even worse to Pence - he sent an angry mob after Pence and his family (who were present on Capital Hill on the 6th) and then didn't even have the balls to fake being sorry about putting them in danger.

I too suspect there is more going on here, maybe a strong possibility that Trump's remaining Cabinet members (of which there really aren't all that many actually left who haven't resigned, but which are his strongest supporters) wouldn't cooperate so it would be a waste of time to even try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
That right there is an even bigger issue than Trump himself. There should be zero problems getting the votes. If the people in office honored their oaths and put the Country and the Constitution first, rather than their own self-interests and their party, long before today, we wouldn't even be here talking about this, and Trumpism would never have been a thing. By not doing there sworn duty, they are cultivating it as well as inviting it to happen again.

Politicians have always put their own self interest first. The Founding Fathers rebelled not because they were concerned about the plight of the average man in the Colonies, but because the King's taxes were hurting their pocketbooks.
The key to the success of American Politics is that the interests of our politicians mostly represented the interests of the common people. That is no longer true for a large number of them.

The real problem here is that the Supreme Court has for decades made rules that has driven the interest of the politician away from that of the common people. Now the politicians interests align more with the will of their corporate sponsors and large money donors. The mechanisms that helped insure that politician's interests were aligned at least mostly with that of their constituents have been eroded to the point that now people no longer have any real choice in their politicians. We are now required to accept one of the two candidates that the big money donors have vetted for us.

While a lot of that is BothSides there is a striking difference between how the parties are attempting to work this system. The Democrats still believe that the path to peace comes by helping the people the represent. The Republicans believe that the people they represent are obstacles to be overcome. Democrats are trying to find solutions that serve both their large money donors and their constituents. Yes, when that is not possible they side with the big money. The system still needs to be fixed. Republicans just try to convince their constituents that the solution to every problem is to blame someone else.

If we want out politics to get better, if we want out politicians to better represent us, we need to reform our electoral system.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
One thing is he might be finished in the GOP, but if he is impeached, then he can't run as an independent. So wouldn't the traditional GOP members be glad to see him truly gone from politics? If the democrats wanted to really screw the GOP they could let Trump rain havoc, and run as an independent or republican if they can't get rid of him

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
One thing is he might be finished in the GOP, but if he is impeached, then he can't run as an independent. So wouldn't the traditional GOP members be glad to see him truly gone from politics?

It would be absolutely delicious if he ran as an Independent after the GOP voted against impeachment. Then he would split the RWNJ vote...

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
"House Republicans did not use all the time they had in the first part of the #impeachment debate. This means that they ran out of GOPers who wanted to speak. How often does a House member not want television/debate time? Never. This is telling."

"On the record: Republican members couldn't join debate because they were "delayed". They were "delayed" because they refused to pass through a metal detector. Let that sink in."

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I'm thinking Dick Cheney is getting his licks in on Donald through his daughter. I'm so sure Dick hates Donald with a seething passion given how Donald has held the Repub base hostage for over four years and beyond.

I think she's a grown woman with her own thoughts and motivations. Women aren't just sock puppets for men.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I just realized something. What Trump did challenging the election was never about the election itself or about fraud or about ballots, oh no. From the start, from the very start before the campaign had even began this was all about planning the takeover of the United States government and to purge from government Democrats and anyone against Donald Trump. This is what Donald Trump wanted and planned all along, to take control by taking advantage of the election then pushing claims of a fraudulent election to thwart the free election process itself. Donald had in place his Republican enablers in the house and senate, all lined up and ready to go. Donald Trump had his base standing by and standing down and all lined up and ready to riot. In the meantime, Trump used the election and claims of fraud as only a distraction, as only an excuse to do what Donald Trump actually intended to do from day one, not to question the results of some presidential election but to set the stage for an actual government coup. Trump had his radicals on board, Trump had house and senate republicans on board, now Trump only needed an excuse to pull the trigger. To stand up there on his soapbox and claim the election was stolen. It was always about conducting the government coup all along and never about some election or election fraud.