Impeachment coming

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The Senate needs to pass a censure resolution (requiring a simple majority) stating that it is the factual finding of the Senate that Trump incited an insurrection, and more or less tracking the language of section 3 of the 14th amendment. The Senate need not do anything else. The 14th Amendment plus the resolution will be sufficient for any interested party to challenge any future candidacy of Trump in court. It's a backstop in case Trump tries to run again.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
More on the legal remedies front. Dem rep. Bennie Thompson is suing Trump, Guiliani, Proud Boys, and Oathkeepers under the Enforcement Act of 1871 (aka "the Ku Klux Klan Act") for conspiring with others to use threats or intimidation to prevent an elected official from discharging the duties of office.

Here is the complaint:

Here is the full text of the statute:

It provides a civil right of action for damages which can include punitive damages. But I suspect the real purpose is to open up all parties to deposition and discovery.

Mar 11, 2004
Yes, and his sarcasm was to indicate that he has no problem "dehumanising the dehumanisers". Which can fuck right off.

Oh, so you're one of these worthless pricks that think playing nice with those assholes is acceptable? Well then you can fuck off pissing and moaning about people telling assholes that are the ones actually dehumanizing people to eat shit. Which, kinda fucked up and hypocritical of you to be copping that bullshit tone towards someone mr "be nice and don't dehumanize people".

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Oh, so you're one of these worthless pricks that think playing nice with those assholes is acceptable? Well then you can fuck off pissing and moaning about people telling assholes that are the ones actually dehumanizing people to eat shit. Which, kinda fucked up and hypocritical of you to be copping that bullshit tone towards someone mr "be nice and don't dehumanize people".

Fuck off. Show me where I said "play nice".

Call them on their bullshit. Point out all the awful things they've done. Prosecute Trump and throw his arse in prison.

But THEY ARE FUCKING HUMANS.

Reactions: woolfe9998 and pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Saying Trump supporters are 'not human' is a way to evade having to face the reality. Which is that not only are they human, they are Americans, and products of US culture and history (fascism having been an ever-present strand of US political culture since the country was founded on slavery and genocide and a desire not to pay the bills). Insisting they are some non-human species is a recipe for sewing hopelessness among anyone not a Trumpist, because if you declare they are all just a completely alien species that is mysteriously living among you, it leaves you with no way of trying to change anything, short of war-to-the-death (and if it can't be changed, there's no need to do anything) and saves you having to admit that they are products of the same culture you are part of (American culture, though also white European culture), and that something has been badly wrong with the US since its very inception.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I've been wondering how long it would finally take to get Wiesselberg in the hot seat. It was obvious that getting him to turn state's evidence would be the way to take Donnie down. He's really no different than Cohen as far as culpability.

Prosecutors investigating Trump family business zero in on company's chief financial officer: report | Salon.com

I'm willing to bet that they are not trying to get him to turn state's evidence, instead he is the one they are going after. Going any higher would be problematic. They have never said that they were going after Trump, they have always said they are going after 'The Trump Organization'. Wiesselberg is the fall guy for that. They will hurt Trump financially by disassembling his empire built on fraud and tax evasion, causing him to liquidate his real estate assets to pay back taxes, but criminally it will be Wiesselberg and a few people below him they charge.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm willing to bet that they are not trying to get him to turn state's evidence, instead he is the one they are going after. Going any higher would be problematic. They have never said that they were going after Trump, they have always said they are going after 'The Trump Organization'. Wiesselberg is the fall guy for that. They will hurt Trump financially by disassembling his empire built on fraud and tax evasion, causing him to liquidate his real estate assets to pay back taxes, but criminally it will be Wiesselberg and a few people below him they charge.
Something's got to take that man down.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If they can make a case against Trump himself they will 100% do so. 100%. You don’t devote resources like this to make Trump pay some back taxes.

If Vance aspires to higher office the #1 way he can get there is by indicting Trump and he knows it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If they can make a case against Trump himself they will 100% do so. 100%. You don’t devote resources like this to make Trump pay some back taxes.

If Vance aspires to higher office the #1 way he can get there is by indicting Trump and he knows it.

Without a doubt. The only way they do not prosecute Trump is if they feel their evidence is insufficient for a conviction.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I disagree. As long as you are going after the designated scapegoat you are safe. Go after Trump and he will bring out the big guns. Trump will start making speeches about how someone should do something about Vance, and happen to mention how proud he is that we have the Second Amendment so people can protect what is important to them in that same speech. Some serious money will be spent behind the scenes to generate some dirt they can fling. It will be a war and one side will have the resources of the NY office, the other of billionaires.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I disagree. As long as you are going after the designated scapegoat you are safe. Go after Trump and he will bring out the big guns. Trump will start making speeches about how someone should do something about Vance, and happen to mention how proud he is that we have the Second Amendment so people can protect what is important to them in that same speech. Some serious money will be spent behind the scenes to generate some dirt they can fling. It will be a war and one side will have the resources of the NY office, the other of billionaires.
What big guns? Nobody with actual power likes Trump. Even the media figures tooting his horn admit they hate him in private.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This is not convincing to me.

If that’s what Vance were worried about he wouldn’t be investigating at all as you can’t put the genie back in the bottle. He is clearly investigating Trump’s business and family at the highest levels and using third parties he doesn’t entirely control to do so. If he or anyone else uncovers information that incriminates Trump and doesn’t charge him that information will leak and Vance is screwed.

Nothing forced Vance to open this investigation, he chose to do so. He might not end up charging him if he can’t put a case together but I am very confident indicting Trump is his primary goal.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He's out of office, i.e. not going to happen. You do realize, that the only reason he isn't in jail now is because he was using all his powers as president to obstruct justice. He can't do that anymore.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
He's out of office, i.e. not going to happen. You do realize, that the only reason he isn't in jail now is because he was using all his powers as president to obstruct justice. He can't do that anymore.
I find it disgusting that he managed to fleece another $600m+ from the "campaign warchest" by funnelling it through the shell corps that Kushner created, from the PAC. On his way out the door, basically.
I wish it were illegal but I'm not sure there was any wrongdoing according to our campaign finance laws as they are currently written.
If there was anything in there they can latch onto, I'd hope they would.

Reactions: hal2kilo