Impeachment coming

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You broadly can. They are different crimes but they are both crimes.
See this is why people get pissed at me, I don't look at things in a broad vague manner. An impeachment is not a broad measure to hold them accountable. It is specific and is only directed at one individual, and it isn't even really holding him accountable. What will truly hold him accountable, is when he is tried criminally and convicted. Just as each of the Trump supporters involved will be tried criminally and convicted.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You done nothing but use weasel words, semantic games, and now bad analogies, that all say exactly the same thing.

We should change our behavior, so we don't upset Trumps Mob of thugs.

Fuck them. Unlike you I am against appeasing these terrorist in any way. Keeping them happy shouldn't enter the equation.

But keep beating your fear drum if it makes you happy.
If you are going to jump in here to just make an attack on a person , because you have no real argument about what that person said, you should at least quote the right person. Don't quote fskimospy, who is actually having a discussion with me, even though we both have different opinions.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't entirely get the intensity of hostility to NWRMidnight, over what seems like just a disagreement over tactics, but I can't say I agree with him either. I really see no reason not to remove Trump as quickly as possible, given his capacity to cause harm, potentially lethal harm.

It does sound like his cultists will react, of course. But the fact that his cult will react badly to it would be a very bad reason to not do it. But, dear God, the state has to prepare properly for the consequences.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
If you are going to jump in here to just make an attack on a person , because you have no real argument about what that person said, you should at least quote the right person. Don't quote fskimospy, who is actually having a discussion with me, even though we both have different opinions.

Fixed now. Forum glitch from having more than one window open. It was aimed at you and your constant appeal to fear and intimidation.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
See this is why people get pissed at me, I don't look at things in a broad vague manner.

Well it’s not why I am pissed at you, (I am not pissed at you at all.) I’m not looking at things in a vague manner, I’m saying that both groups committed crimes that involved this assault and the specific crimes are closely enough related that they can be grouped together.

An impeachment is not a broad measure to hold them accountable. It is specific and is only directed at one individual, and it isn't even really holding him accountable. What will truly hold him accountable, is when he is tried criminally and convicted. Just as each of the Trump supporters involved will be tried criminally and convicted.
Accountability takes many forms and they aren’t mutually exclusive. It is valuable to hold the office of the president accountable as well as the man personally.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes, he was part of it, he was the instigator. But he wasn't the one actually breaching Congress. You can't just throw him and all his followers into the same pot and call it the same, because it's not, and it won't be taken the same. Two different parts of the insurrection that require two different paths of holding them accountable. No where am I saying let it go. That's the part that irritates me, because everyone instantly equates to suggesting a delay to letting it go. That isn't the case.

Everyone says get him out now, I would agree if there was a path to do so, there isn't, and that is why the "immediate" impeachment is pointless, other than just gasoline on a fire. because there is NO path to do that short of a resignation before the 20th. the 25th amendment process takes longer than 9 days. Impeachment trial won't happen until the 20th at the earliest due to the Senates BS.

The House must file for impeachment in a timely manner, while Trump is still a civil officer, even if it's just for our posterity. Only civil officers are subject to impeachment. Capische?

Trumpsters? Fuck 'em. Trump violated his oath to uphold the Constitution when he sent an angry mob against Congress. That's insurrection. If that's what they want then they'll have to do it, because we won't be intimidated.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Well it’s not why I am pissed at you, (I am not pissed at you at all.) I’m not looking at things in a vague manner, I’m saying that both groups committed crimes that involved this assault and the specific crimes are closely enough related that they can be grouped together.

Accountability takes many forms and they aren’t mutually exclusive. It is valuable to hold the office of the president accountable as well as the man personally.
I agree, hold them all accountable. Not saying otherwise. But the impeach him now and waiting 100 days will have the same outcome and have the same results where Trump is concerned. It won't get Trump out of office before the 20th. That was never going to happen thru impeachment, because on the 8th, Mcturtle made it clear that the Senate would not come back until the 19th, meaning the trial won't even happen until the 20th at the earliest.

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The House must file for impeachment in a timely manner, while Trump is still a civil officer, even if it's just for our posterity. Only civil officers are subject to impeachment. Capische?

Trumpsters? Fuck 'em. Trump violated his oath to uphold the Constitution when he sent an angry mob against Congress. That's insurrection. If that's what they want then they'll have to do it, because we won't be intimidated.
That has never been tested. There is nothing in the constitution that states that someone cannot be tried for impeachment after leaving office. Considering that he will be getting a pension, he would be considered a retired civil officer who will also continue to get intelligent briefings, he is still a civil officer in a very limited form.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
What does impeachment really do at this point? Will the Senate go along with it?

I think it's a waste of time. Let him leave with his tail between his legs and let the states have at him.
So the guy that robs the 7-11 at gun point should just get his picture in the paper and go on with his life if he gives some of the money back. Actions have consequences and so does inaction.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Nancy Pelosi just announced Trump has 3 options for ending his term:
- Resign
- 25th Amendment
- Impeachment
a few Dems are against impeachment.

Reason:
it makes Trump look like a victim, especially if the Senate portion is held AFTER Trump leaves office.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I'm sure he's learned his lesson this time...
That what this idiot said the other day. Mo Blunt.
I guess he furrowed his brow just like Susan Collins

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said he believes Trump should finish out the final 10 days of his term.

"The president should be very careful over the next 10 days that his behavior is what you'd expect from the leader of the greatest country in the world," Blunt said on CBS News' "Face the Nation," adding an explanation akin to one that Republicans offered the first time Trump was impeached -- that he had learned his lesson and wouldn't engage in similar conduct.

"Now, my personal view is that the president touched the hot stove on Wednesday and is unlikely to touch it again," Blunt said. "And if that's the case, I think ... every day, we get closer to the last day of his presidency. We should be thinking more about the first day of the next presidency than the last day of his presidency, in my view."

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Also occurs to me that you shouldn't just dispatch Trump and then forget all about how this happened. Should probably roll straight on to making structural changes to prevent it happening again. For example, shorten and streamline the transition period so any future dangerously unstable President doesn't have all this time to stick around and cause mayhem.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Also occurs to me that you shouldn't just dispatch Trump and then forget all about how this happened. Should probably roll straight on to making structural changes to prevent it happening again. For example, shorten and streamline the transition period so any future dangerously unstable President doesn't have all this time to stick around and cause mayhem.
True, but with Trump, he has been building this up over his 4 year term, not just the last couple months. He just used the voter fraud allegations over the last 2 months to cement it. If he won a second term, he would have still carried on about voter fraud, as well as him spent another 4 years pitting people against each other where he would have convinced his followers he deserved a 3rd term, causing the same thing in 4 years, if not worse than what we currently have going on now.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
True, but with Trump, he has been building this up over his 4 year term, not just the last couple months. He just used the voter fraud allegations over the last 2 months to cement it. If he won a second term, he would have still carried on about voter fraud, as well as him spent another 4 years pitting people against each other where he would have convinced his followers he deserved a 3rd term, causing the same thing in 4 years, if not worse than what we currently have going on now.

Just seems to me the reason for all the talk of the 25th amendment (which it seems is turning out to be remarkably difficult to actually use in practice) and impeachment (lol at Trump - impeached twice _and_ banned from Twitter - he's probably more upset by that last one) is that nobody wants him hanging around for what's left of his term. The fact that he knows he's on the way out probably makes him even more emotionally-unstable and hence dangerous than he would otherwise be - he's got very little to lose.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I agree, hold them all accountable. Not saying otherwise. But the impeach him now and waiting 100 days will have the same outcome and have the same results where Trump is concerned. It won't get Trump out of office before the 20th. That was never going to happen thru impeachment, because on the 8th, Mcturtle made it clear that the Senate would not come back until the 19th, meaning the trial won't even happen until the 20th at the earliest.
I don't want to speak for others, but for me the calculation is not about removing him from office, but making sure he is held accountable, both as President and as a person.
Impeaching a President, even after he leaves office, is expensive in political capital. It will not be easy to do, there will have to be a lot of pressure put on Republicans to vote for impeachment. Right now the political capital for impeachment is at it's all time high, that means you will get the most Republicans on board with it. Every day we wait that capital drains away. Republicans will be given time to find excuses on why it is no longer important, they will have time to come up with new propaganda on why they personally should not vote for it.
If you are going to successfully impeach Trump, it has to start now, they can drag the impeachment out as long as they can use the impeachment hearings to keep generating political capital for the project, but if it loses the public eye for any amount of time it is basically over.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Stop projecting your own feelings onto me. If you actually knew me, you would know I don't get intimidated by anyone.
Okay, pussy. Stay in your little fear corner, then.
If you are going to jump in here to just make an attack on a person , because you have no real argument about what that person said, you should at least quote the right person.
You only see attacks because you refuse to acknowledge actual valid points anyone else makes. You are a dishonest shit.
If you are going to successfully impeach Trump, it has to start now, they can drag the impeachment out as long as they can use the impeachment hearings to keep generating political capital for the project, but if it loses the public eye for any amount of time it is basically over.
This is what I (and others) have been pointing out, but @NWRMidnight is too stupid to comprehend or ackowledge it.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

Is this you continuing to be “calm?”

• Haha

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
That what this idiot said the other day. Mo Blunt.
I guess he furrowed his brow just like Susan Collins

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said he believes Trump should finish out the final 10 days of his term.

"The president should be very careful over the next 10 days that his behavior is what you'd expect from the leader of the greatest country in the world," Blunt said on CBS News' "Face the Nation," adding an explanation akin to one that Republicans offered the first time Trump was impeached -- that he had learned his lesson and wouldn't engage in similar conduct.

"Now, my personal view is that the president touched the hot stove on Wednesday and is unlikely to touch it again," Blunt said. "And if that's the case, I think ... every day, we get closer to the last day of his presidency. We should be thinking more about the first day of the next presidency than the last day of his presidency, in my view."
Blunt is an idiot. Yes, he definitely learned his lesson. He learns Republicans are too spineless to stand up to him and he's going to get away with shit. I mean he thinks his speech last week that incited the insurrection is "totally appropriate". Yea sounds like he learned his lesson.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Right now the political capital for impeachment is at it's all time high, that means you will get the most Republicans on board with it. Every day we wait that capital drains away. Republicans will be given time to find excuses on why it is no longer important, they will have time to come up with new propaganda on why they personally should not vote for it.

This. Pubs, and even some Democrats are already pushing back on it; it's just going to get harder.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The "talking canned ham" (Karl Rove) just said on Faux that Pelosi hates Trump so much she'll proceed with impeachment no matter how bad it is for the Country.

Funny Karl suddenly caring about the Country.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't know if this has already been linked to, but to me this seems like the most Kentucky way I could imagine to describe events

“People did mislead the folks that came here, and Trump was among them,” Rep. Thomas Massie, a Kentucky Republican, told The Dispatch in a phone interview. “He insinuated that states wanted their electors thrown out, which was not true. I kept a spreadsheet of every document every state produced, and in no case did a majority of any legislature even put their name on the letter.”

Massie was one of the House Republicans who pushed back most vocally on the effort to contest Electoral College votes. During our conversation, he avoided casting aspersions on his House colleagues, but he wasn’t shy about pinning responsibility for inciting the mob on the president.

“I think Trump is at fault here. I watched almost all of his speech. I felt like it was inevitable,” he added. “I told my wife it was like a 50-pound feedsack and I just heard the first few stitches pop. The next thing that happens is all the stitches pop and all the feed’s on the ground.”

Massie said some House Republicans genuinely believed their own arguments about election fraud, and they pursued the state objections “without regard for fear or political ramifications.” But, he added, “there were a whole host of my colleagues who were just frankly terrified of the base that Trump had misled. It was much easier to go along than to explain to them that Trump was misleading them.”

“Trump’s not just salting the earth, he’s ritually forcing his allies to salt the earth that they have to tend to when he’s gone,” Massie added.