Impeachment coming

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
There must be consequences. Not sure impeachment can be done quickly, censure or the 25th Amendment. I like impeachment because if convicted he can never hold office again. Seems required given the recent events. So what if it happens after 1/20. Something must happen.

There should be consequences. I am just not sure the mechanism exists to do anything in the time remaining, without the cooperation of Trump's boot licking cabinet.

In a just world, those boot lickers would all be doing hard time with Trump.

But that isn't the world we live in.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Review your post.

Then get back to us.
So your quibble is that I didn't bring up the obvious fact (to those of us who know how Impeachment works) that while the House can Impeach the President for whatever it wants, it doesn't mean anything if 67 Senators don't vote to actually do something?

My original post stands, which 17 Republican Senators will be voting to remove the President?

Thanks for adding zero to the conversation. It's been great.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Nancy Pelosi just announced Trump has 3 options for ending his term:
- Resign
- 25th Amendment
- Impeachment

I'll have to update my poll options in my prediction thread from Nov :)

I'm for whatever way is most shameful and gets him out on his ass and hopefully in prison.

Ideally before he has a chance to pardon any of his fucknut kids too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Review your post.

Then get back to us.

your question specifically inferred that you didn't know why people were talking about senators--the republicans being needed for this.

there is no other reason for you to ask about senators in the impeachment process, because it can be finalized without them.

your backpedal, is pcgeek weak.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
your question specifically inferred that you didn't know why people were talking about senators--the republicans being needed for this.

there is no other reason for you to ask about senators in the impeachment process, because it can be finalized without them.

your backpedal, is pcgeek weak.

Perhaps I'm being Captain Obvious, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to nick's errant use of "impeach" irt the Senate vote, whereas the proper term would be "convict".

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
^^^ Ding... ding .. ding!!

Senators do not vote on impeachment.

Representatives vote to impeach (indict)
Senators hear testimony and vote to convict or not.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Perhaps I'm being Captain Obvious, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to nick's errant use of "impeach" irt the Senate vote, whereas the proper term would be "convict".
^^^ Ding... ding .. ding!!

Senators do not vote on impeachment.

Representatives vote to impeach (indict)
Senators hear testimony and vote to convict or not.
How many more posts would y'all like to spend derailing this thread over the fact that it requires 17 Republican Senators to vote in the affirmative on any Impeachment proceeding for the crux of this thread to be relevant?

5 more?

How about 12?

Again, my original post stands. Thanks for adding to the post count. I just got thoroughly fucking told or whatever. Grats.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
How many more posts would y'all like to spend derailing this thread over the fact that it requires 17 Republican Senators to vote in the affirmative on any Impeachment proceeding for the crux of this thread to be relevant?

5 more?

How about 12?

Again, my original post stands. Thanks for adding to the post count. I just got thoroughly fucking told or whatever. Grats.
Just to nitpick, actually 17 isn't enough... need 18 republicans for right now. Currently 48 Dems and 51 Repubs - the 2 new Dems are not yet seated - the Georgia special election has not even been certified.

2/3 majority required of those present, so 66 votes required to convict if all 99 current Senators in attendance. If the vote had been held today, with the insurrection fresh in their minds, you might get 10 republican votes to convict (barring the small issue of completing the trial in 1 day which ain't happening), but give it 7 days and the attempted coup no longer on front page news & we're probably back down to just Romney plus maybe one or two.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Oh my. It appears that I've touched a little nerve there.
To reiterate, no, I wasn't aware that the mob was armed. I'm very sorry if that makes you angry.
Then pay some fucking attention, your president just made the first ever attempted coup on this country. There are pictures every where. Obviously you don't even care enough about your country to know it came the closest it's been to ending since 1865.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Then pay some fucking attention, your president just made the first ever attempted coup on this country. There are pictures every where. Obviously you don't even care enough about your country to know it came the closest it's been to ending since 1865.
Hyperbole.
Why didn't law enforcement on the scene open fire on the crazed terrorist's?
Why wasn't there body's littering the street?
Why didn't the terrorist's open fire while storming the building?
What was the objective?
I used to have a Boy Scout troop that could have pulled off a better operation than this. No planning, no objective, no organization, just some dumb fuck dressed up like a gay Viking doing a photo op.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Hyperbole.
What was the objective?
I used to have a Boy Scout troop that could have pulled off a better operation than this. No planning, no objective, no organization, just some dumb fuck dressed up like a gay Viking doing a photo op.
Yeah, it happens every day the armed intruders take over both chambers of congress while the members hide in bunkers. Just silly boys playing games.

My guess on why there aren't more bodies has to do with pigment of their skin. And the fact that many of the 800 police at the building were trying to move the 535 members of congress and others to safety.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Hyperbole.
What was the objective?
BTW: How often do boy scouts beat a cop to death, while actively taking over the capital building of the fucking United States of America?

I am so sick of all of you republicans trying to play dumb over this. You'll lose your shit over someone fucking kneeling during the anthem, but people are actively taking over the capital, some with obvious plans for summary executions, beat a police officer to death, and they are just boy scouts? Seriously, WTF is wrong in your head.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
BTW: How often do boy scouts beat a cop to death, while actively taking over the capital building of the fucking United States of America?

I am so sick of all of you republicans trying to play dumb over this. You'll lose your shit over someone fucking kneeling during the anthem, but people are actively taking over the capital, some with obvious plans for summary executions, beat a police officer to death, and they are just boy scouts? Seriously, WTF is wrong in your head.
Fascism apologists are going to apologize for fascism. Forever.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
we know how your tribe thinks. Just trying to translate on your behalf.

It's a courtesy.

Nah, I know greenman on two different sites. While we may have different views on politics, he's never said anything that struck me as the least bit racist. Just because someone is a Trump supporter or Republican, doesn't automatically make them a racist.
Youse liberals need to give that shit a rest.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Nah, I know greenman on two different sites. While we may have different views on politics, he's never said anything that struck me as the least bit racist. Just because someone is a Trump supporter or Republican, doesn't automatically make them a racist.
Youse liberals need to give that shit a rest.
As a Republican apologist, one is by definition a racist as one is defending a party that consistently pursues racist policies of voter disenfranchisement and corruption of criminal law.