Imagine...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Originally posted by: TheRedUnderURBed
All those groups are in the same time frame because they are one in the same, hippie is not just the suburban twits following trends in the summer of 68, hippie is also the beatnik poetry era (gay rights, womens rights) through civil rights era in the early 60s all the way to punk in later 70s when it comes to the messages and what they fought against. Sure, they may not label themselves as "hippie" but "hippie" only existed for like 8 months in 1968 before people got over the label.

If you cannot grasp this Cad you fail or cannot accept it. Your problem.

That must be the issue...CAD's definition of hippie is just the hairy doods on acid. I guess we cant expect him to understand it, he is far to narrowminded... Thus we have your typical republican =)

Just as I figured, you can't back up your BS so you play the "narrowminded" card or the he's too stupid card. Meh, I expect nothing less from the likes of you.

Back it up? The post explained it very well, between theredunderyourbed and myself... You disageree, and you dont think hippies had mu of an impact. Thats fine, disagree all you want. What happened is what happened. The hippie movement did change the world. Not as much as they would have liked, but it did change.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Oh the irony, a guy posts the lyrics to 'Imagine' and wishes for peace... and the thread turns into a name-calling flame fest starting with the second post.

Sorry to say but 'imagining' it is about as close as you're going to get - Thanks all you fuckin fascists. ;)

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
As long as humans are religious there is going to be no peace OP. Seriously get a clue, there is nothing sacred or divine about us, we are just animals.. animals that soil their own beds to boot.

And my god has a bigger dick then your god.

There will never be peace when you have all the mind viruses floating around.

I think all religions should be outlawed then maybe you'd see peace come sooner.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: ericlp
As long as humans are religious there is going to be no peace OP. Seriously get a clue, there is nothing sacred or divine about us, we are just animals.. animals that soil their own beds to boot.

I think all religions should be outlawed then maybe you'd see peace come sooner.

As if that would solve anything.

We'll find a way to kill each other, regardless of ideology.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp

Stalin and Mao killed millions because of their religious ideology? Wait I thought they were atheist. So Atheist must equal genocidal dictator?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

- John Lennon

The world needs to put the guns down, and start hugging. No one has to die. No one. Not the innocent. Not the soldier. Not even the guilty. No one. We are all equal. Everyone of us is a child of our parents, and everyone one of us must have someone out there that loves them. It's just not right, the world. All the hate, the fighting, the killing. :(

Drop the weapons, and start over.

One of the greatest melodies ever, one of the worst lyrics ever. But I guess access to unlimited money and pussy kind of makes you crazy like that.

TheDoc9

May 26, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80

One of the greatest melodies ever, one of the worst lyrics ever. But I guess access to unlimited money and pussy kind of makes you crazy like that.

This

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: daishi5
The world needs to put the guns down, and start hugging. No one has to die. No one. Not the innocent. Not the soldier. Not even the guilty. No one. We are all equal. Everyone of us is a child of our parents, and everyone one of us must have someone out there that loves them. It's just not right, the world. All the hate, the fighting, the killing. :(

Yes, lets drop all the weapons, then we can have a society just like it was meant to be, where the weak fear the strong, and a gang of thugs can only be opposed by a larger gang of thugs.

I just don't understand how you can expect removing all weapons to make the world a better place. Do you really believe that all of society has advanced to some point where we can just throw all the weapons away, and no one will take advantage of the weak?

If you need a gun to be strong you are not a person who should ever have a gun.

Guns aren't made so that you can feel tough you stupid little shit.

He needed gun to be strong

So did he

She did as well

Along with her

You missed what I was saying. Some people are weak, the elderly, the sick and the disabled. Weapons are tools, and they are tools that makes ANY person who wields them more powerful, but they increase the power of the weak more than they do the strong. They help remove some of the inequalities that are present in nature between different people. If we removed all the weapons tomorrow, then we would be forced to rely on strong people to protect us from other strong people. I don't want to live in a world in which we need to rely on the big strong people to be kind and good people in order for those who are not big and strong to be treated fairly.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

But I'm not the only one
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

- John Lennon

Before the invention of the wheel, man kind use to be like what you described before. However, it didn't prevented him from destroying his fellow man. In fact, you can go as early as when there were only four people on earth (Bible); yet one man was killed by another man because of simple envy!

John Lennon's Imagine is just that "Imagine"!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
America is an idea, a dream and a vision, a flowering and an expression in law of the highest human aspirations, the notion that we have rights given to us by our Creator, that we can aspire to be like Him, in whose image we were created.

America is the bursting forth into the light of human truth and rule by just law. America is the flowering of an ancient desire and striving for the value of a single individual, his or her worth over the power of the state, the church or thug.

The founding fathers put into law the highest ideals ever conceived and told us they were ours to lose that with freedom comes responsibility. The American Revolution was a mighty wave that has changed the world.

But every wave peters out. Slowly but surely stagnation, fear, greed and misery strangle the light and optimism; liberalism and catholicism wane. Man will not confront his self hate and the unconsciousness of the ego needs reestablish their primacy. Man returns, after venturing into the light, to the safety of authoritarianism. The Neanderthal and the troglodyte reassert their claims.

But the Hippies grew up in a time when America had conquered depression and evil. They were born after we won a great war against evil. The sun had again come out. Hippies grew up with little paranoia and fear. They were like the founding fathers, full of themselves, life, and hope, until, of course, the madness hidden within was finally exposed by drugs, and self hate again swamped joy, and the grinding machine of authoritarianism and conformity once again claimed the land.

But for a time the Creator again walked the land.

Oh how the words love harmony and beauty have fascinated the human heart. But besides these things you may ask what there is. Besides these things there is nothing, only the robotic grindings of humans that sleep, the walking dead that fill the world.

Only you can prevent forest fires, and only you can ever be free. There is only one war, the jihad with the self, with the ego that is the reflection of self hate.

The value of every person can be seen in his or her aim. Make it yours to save all sentient beings. You too can be a Hippie. Imagine that if you can.

Oh how the dead machine hates hope, love, and beauty, and how it destroys the world.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
People are disgusting, horrible, miserable creatures. Always have been, always will be.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: dguy6789
People are disgusting, horrible, miserable creatures. Always have been, always will be.

You sum it up completely. The world is a projection of how you were made to feel. You thus make the world into what you believe yourself to be and comfort yourself with the illusion it's the world and not you.

Ugliness is the eye of the beholder.

It is why the real son of man could only say, Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.

"
I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps
I don't know why nobody told you how to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you.

I look at the world and I notice it's turning
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps
I don't know how you were diverted
You were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
No one alerted you.

I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
Look at you all . . .
Still my guitar gently weeps."

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Another great Lenon line that has about as much real world meaning as Imagine does.
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob.

Expert texpert choking smokers,
Don't you think the joker laughs at you? (ho ho ho, he he he, ha ha ha)
See how they smile like pigs in a sty, see how they snide.
I'm crying.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: daishi5
Yes, lets drop all the weapons, then we can have a society just like it was meant to be, where the weak fear the strong, and a gang of thugs can only be opposed by a larger gang of thugs.

I just don't understand how you can expect removing all weapons to make the world a better place. Do you really believe that all of society has advanced to some point where we can just throw all the weapons away, and no one will take advantage of the weak?
This of course ignores the premise of the "Imagine" song - this imagined world would also be devoid of gangs or thugs. With no greed or lust for power, with peace and cooperation as your main goals in life, why form gangs in the first place?

Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
It's a great idea that everyone could live in peace, but as soon as you realize that Lennon was as high as a fucking kite when he wrote it you know that it could never happen.

Theodore Roosevelt had it right with; "Tread softly but carry a big stick." Strive for peace, but know that sometimes you have to bring out the big stick and whack some moron upside the head with it.
It sucks that some people start thinking, "I have a big stick. It'd be a shame for it to go to waste; I need to find an excuse to hit someone."

And with that short post, Jeff7, you've described our foreign policy.
Sad too, isn't it?
It's quite visible too with recent advances in war machines. The F-22 Raptor is a very sophisticated piece of engineering, and it's also quite expensive, somewhere around $137M each. It'd sure be a shame for them to never see combat. Hey Russia, feel like starting something? Are ya chicken? Buk buk buk-awk!

We are an often-self-proclaimed "intelligent" and "civil" species, yet we spend trillions of dollars a year just on finding new ways of killing each other, and on ways of preventing deaths from similar methods being sought elsewhere. Our history's eras are almost entirely defined by conquests or wars. Sprinkled lightly throughout are the signs of progress: The Renaissance, the Industrial Revolution, and now the "Information Age." But far more often, the delineations come from power-hungry leaders or governments irresponsibly wielding tools of destruction for selfish gain or other petty reasons, which tend to amount to "We like your dirt better than ours, and your lives are worth less than that dirt."

And then when there is war, we employ various tactics to make it easier to kill others of our own species. We vilify the enemy, to make them appear somehow less than human. It's made so that they aren't seen as human, they are only evil. Then our side, the "good" side, can do no wrong, since we're fighting evil. It's just a façade though; in the end, it boils down to people killing other people.
"Oh, they're different than us, they come from a different continent or a different country!" It's said as if it should make the killing easier, or somehow justify it in a single sentence. A different continent is just another large lump of rock on this planet. Countries are even more superficial - imaginary lines drawn arbitrarily on the planet for mere purposes of logistics, a way of making it easier to manage large groups of people. Then emotions get attached to these imaginary lines in the dirt, and people on one side somehow start to think that theirs is better than the side opposite.

For a "civil" and "enlightened" species, our violent, self-destructive legacy is a profoundly sad, pathetic, and embarrassing one.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children....This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross." - Dwight Eisenhower

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: albatross
the world is moved by the existence of evil.a "good" world would be essentially frozen,with nothing interesting going on.
teh devil is the prince of this world and i`m extremely skeptical about theories of immanent good;it takes a lot more force of character and intelligence to accept the profound assymetry of the world than to preach bs idealism,if we put aside retarded lyrics of irresponsbile eternal adolescents.

And yet you'd agree that certain evils, like child rape, should never be tolerated. Right?

Americans don't seem to care about murder too much. And yes, going to war is an act of murder no matter how necessary the war may be.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Eeezee
the world is moved by the existence of evil.a "good" world would be essentially frozen,with nothing interesting going on.
teh devil is the prince of this world and i`m extremely skeptical about theories of immanent good;it takes a lot more force of character and intelligence to accept the profound assymetry of the world than to preach bs idealism,if we put aside retarded lyrics of irresponsbile eternal adolescents.

And yet you'd agree that certain evils, like child rape, should never be tolerated. Right?

Americans don't seem to care about murder too much. And yes, going to war is an act of murder no matter how necessary the war may be.

No, going to war is not an act of murder. Everyone knows this.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
No one has to die. No one.

Actually until science changes things then yes, everybody has to die eventually.

We are all equal.

Actually most people are "born" equal, but that doesnt mean that we are all equal.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee

i speak of evil in a metaphysical sense.
Cultures, like in the West, which started with a more modest presumption of man have managed to creat a workable,modest, not at all extrordinary but at least decent society,while cultures who were based on the slogan"man is the most precious capital"(Marx) managed to create a mountain of bodies.
i have little sympathy for people who "imagine" some perfect society or truth,and too many times are ready to burn the world to accomplish their little utopias,be it an ideology or a religion.

bauerbrazil

Mar 21, 2000
Lol, after reading some responses in this topic just let me think human race need a catastrophic event to get back on track.

Maybe if 6+ billion people die we would see how insignificant we are and we change our way of living.

The human race is based in wars, abuse of power, corruption, etc. This is getting worse and worse, we dont deserve to be here.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Originally posted by: bauerbrazil
Lol, after reading some responses in this topic just let me think human race need a catastrophic event to get back on track.

Maybe if 6+ billion people die we would see how insignificant we are and we change our way of living.

The human race is based in wars, abuse of power, corruption, etc. This is getting worse and worse, we dont deserve to be here.

Actually, it is you who doesn't deserve to be here. Look at you. Wishing for the death of 6 billion people, all because the world doesn't work the way you want it to. How pathetic you are. You make Hitler look like a schoolyard bully. You're easily 1000x worse than he is. Easily.

bauerbrazil

Mar 21, 2000
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
Originally posted by: bauerbrazil

Actually, it is you who doesn't deserve to be here. Look at you. Wishing for the death of 6 billion people, all because the world doesn't work the way you want it to. How pathetic you are. You make Hitler look like a schoolyard bully. You're easily 1000x worse than he is. Easily.

Lol, im not the one who will pull the trigger! Probably one religious/military nutjob who have the same ideas of the assholes attacking the OP will start the next WW.

There is no way we wont have another WW, this is a fact, it is the human nature.

Humans have an evil gene or something, unfortunally.