Imagine...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
We have met the enemy, and he is us.

It became necessary to destroy the village in order to save it.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. Therefore, good men must hug the evildoers if we are to rid the world of evil.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
How about I keep my gun, but I promise not to shoot anyone unless they threaten my life?

Oh right, that's how it is now. Just like nearly every other legal gun owner.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: daveymark
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. Therefore, good men must hug the evildoers if we are to rid the world of evil.

That is fine and dandy as long as I get to decide who is an evildoer and who is not.

Those men who try to rid the world of evil often become as evil as those they seek to destroy.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: RESmonkey

The world needs to put the guns down, and start hugging. No one has to die. No one. Not the innocent. Not the soldier. Not even the guilty. No one. We are all equal. Everyone of us is a child of our parents, and everyone one of us must have someone out there that loves them. It's just not right, the world. All the hate, the fighting, the killing. :(

Drop the weapons, and start over.

Okay, how about you be the one to head over to Pakistan/Afghanistan and tell the taliban to stop beheading people and just hug everyone instead. Let me know how it goes.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

- John Lennon

The world needs to put the guns down, and start hugging. No one has to die. No one. Not the innocent. Not the soldier. Not even the guilty. No one. We are all equal. Everyone of us is a child of our parents, and everyone one of us must have someone out there that loves them. It's just not right, the world. All the hate, the fighting, the killing. :(

Ah, the essence of modern liberalism. The cult of indiscriminateness. The elimination of the attempt to be right, so that we devalue everything to the point that there's nothing left to kill or die for.

Fact of the matter: We can drop the weapons and start over. Someone is going to, for no reason at all, start a fight. There is no escape from fallibility.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
No religion is a nice thought. I fear man will wipe himself out with the ol' mushroom cloud before we advance far enough to be free from God, Jeebus, Allah-snackbar, etc........ :(

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Same old same old

I do not see what the hate is about hippies, all they wanted to do was get high, get laid and hear some good music. Can't really go wrong there.
Stupid south park tv indoctrinated dorks.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: TheRedUnderURBed
Same old same old

I do not see what the hate is about hippies, all they wanted to do was get high, get laid and hear some good music. Can't really go wrong there.

Um...lazy stoners who do nothing for society? Yea, that is good for everyone!

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Same old same old

Did a lot more to progress society then any other generation.
Let's see, civil rights, womens rights, founding of gay rights.
Stopped a imperialist war, and scared the living shit out of the establishment so they feared real revolution and the downfall of the system.
Our whole foundation of society was rocked by them.
Disclaimer: I was not even born yet, but you are being ignorant.

What did the "me" generations do but sit on their asses, worship themselves and money and get into debt?
A old hippie should slap you upside the head with a incense stick.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Same old same old

Stopped a imperialist war, and scared the living shit out of the establishment so they feared real revolution and the downfall of the system.

What did the "me" generations do but sit on their asses, worship themselves and money and get into debt?

You give way too much credit to a bunch of dirty losers.

That being said, many of them then went on to do great things in the business world and in every other facet of life. But at the time they were hippies, they were just drug-using, orgy-having low-lifes. Which is fine up until about the age of 21, then you should really do something with yourself.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

Many were just trend followers, but many have moved on to do good works in life. Besides "just making money" (what does that get you anyway but a early grave and debt?) you need to learn a bit more about history it seems.

Thanks to those "dirty losers" this country will never be the same and we have more freedoms.
(The ideas of individualism, so dear to America is stronger in our national conscience then ever and that resurgence WAS part of what the hippies brought to us through their music and culture that creeped in)

Same could be said of our founding fathers, they were not much different.
George Washington was not exactly a clean guy while creating change either.

Our armies literally lived and adopted the ways of native americans and lived like dirty hippies, and defeated the richest army of "winners" in your book to create this country.

It is all perspective, which you lack. Following what the ruling class tells you makes you a "winner" is not always the best route to freedom, regardless of what south park tell you my contrarian friend.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
-snip-
The aggressive, the selfish, the murderous, the terrorists, the rapists, and all the other criminals (read: right-wing people) need to be eliminated first before we can have a peaceful world.

:disgust:

Fern

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Many were just trend followers, but many have moved on to do good works in life. Besides "just making money" (what does that get you anyway but a early grave and debt?) you need to learn a bit more about history it seems.

Thanks to those "dirty losers" this country will never be the same and we have more freedoms.
(The ideas of individualism, so dear to America is stronger in our national conscience then ever and that resurgence WAS part of what the hippies brought to us through their music and culture that creeped in)

Our armies literally lived and adopted the ways of native americans and lived like dirty hippies, and defeated the richest army of "winners" in your book to create this country.

It is all perspective, which you lack. Following what the ruling class tells you makes you a "winner" is not always the best route to freedom, regardless of what south park tell you my contrarian friend.

You are really faaaaar ouuuut maaaaaaan.

Your posts arent even worth picking apart. They are mainly a bunch of babbel that you spout to try and make yourself sound like an intellectual. When in reality, your concept of history is extremely far off.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

Your posts arent even worth picking apart. They are mainly a bunch of babbel that you spout to try and make yourself sound like an intellectual. When in reality, your concept of history is extremely far off.

Care to point out I am wrong then? Maybe a few points I missed? Didn't think so.
You are just here to make childish jokes about hippies because it is "cool" to do.
Useless troll begone.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Care to point out I am wrong then? Maybe a few points I missed? Didn't think so.
You are just here to make childish jokes about hippies because it is "cool" to do.
Useless troll begone.

:roll: did you not read? He didn't think your tripe was worth dissecting.

However, just for you steeplebot and your damaged little head, I'll lay things out for you.

Wrong - the hippies did practically nothing but bring drugs into the mainstream. IMO the WW2 generation progressed society 10X what the hippies did.

The hippies did not stop the war no matter what you and other revisionists want to claim. They were a far fringe group of people who may have been vocal but it certainly wasn't them who stopped it.

Women's rights? Uh hello? They did nothing to progress women's rights. The feminazis were formed around about that time but the hippies didn't do anything for women's rights.

scared the establishment? You mean by bringing the decay of drugs to other kids? Sure but if you mean anything other than that you are mistaken. They were hippies - they didn't do violence - remember? Except for hippies who were really terrorists like Ayers and dorhn.

They rocked nothing but their minds.

The hippies are a fun anecdote in societal history but really nothing more.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1

The aggressive, the selfish, the murderous, the terrorists, the rapists, and all the other criminals (read: right-wing people) need to be eliminated first before we can have a peaceful world.

Very true and in the U.S. that is still very much the North Vs the South with some exceptions of course.

It's past time for the North to do an ass whopping again.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: albatross
the world is moved by the existence of evil.a "good" world would be essentially frozen,with nothing interesting going on.
teh devil is the prince of this world and i`m extremely skeptical about theories of immanent good;it takes a lot more force of character and intelligence to accept the profound assymetry of the world than to preach bs idealism,if we put aside retarded lyrics of irresponsbile eternal adolescents.

Originally posted by: Zebo
Fuck off hippy.

Originally posted by: Kadarin
Fuck off hippy.

Holy condescending bullshit, batman!

I'm having a shitty year, but even I'm not as big of an ass as you guys. What the hell happened to you all to cause such bitchy reactions? Or is this how you are all the time?

I agree, RESmonkey.

Fuck off hippy.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

The hippies are a fun anecdote in societal history but really nothing more.

The fact that right-wing blowhards try so hard to come up with such revisionist history just shows how much the counterculture threatens you guys.
Another thing the hippies brought to us, conservative was a dirty word, a lesson unfortunately lost.
But you all are doing your best to prove it again.
Once you guys lose your little radio network monopolies reagan let happen the party is over.

Jun 26, 2007
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

But I'm not the only one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one

- John Lennon

I'll sign this one with my full name and if the twats who are NOT in harms way want to call me a pussy or a hippie for it, go right the fuck ahead.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

But I'm not the only one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one

- John Lennon

Yes, lets drop all the weapons, then we can have a society just like it was meant to be, where the weak fear the strong, and a gang of thugs can only be opposed by a larger gang of thugs.

I just don't understand how you can expect removing all weapons to make the world a better place. Do you really believe that all of society has advanced to some point where we can just throw all the weapons away, and no one will take advantage of the weak?

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: daishi5
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

But I'm not the only one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one

- John Lennon

Yes, lets drop all the weapons, then we can have a society just like it was meant to be, where the weak fear the strong, and a gang of thugs can only be opposed by a larger gang of thugs.

I just don't understand how you can expect removing all weapons to make the world a better place. Do you really believe that all of society has advanced to some point where we can just throw all the weapons away, and no one will take advantage of the weak?

If you need a gun to be strong you are not a person who should ever have a gun.

Guns aren't made so that you can feel tough you stupid little shit.