Im sorry, deep dish pizza really sucks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Fish does just fine on a pizza. While I don't personally care for anchovies many people do and they're entitled to use them. What I like is white clam pizza, something invented and made famous here in my neck of the woods.

Frank_pepe_clam_pie.jpg

Let me recap for you. Pizza is a thin crust with sauce, cheese and toppings.

Anchovy pizza is pizza
White clam pizza is pizza
Even that godawful ham and pineapple abomination is pizza.
Italian casserole IS NOT PIZZA.
Who the HELL would want clams on a pizza?, I love clams, whole-belly fried, cherry stone on the half-shell but good God keep them off pizza. Ditto the damm pineapples too!.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
How is pizza a thousand years old when tomatoes didnt make it to europe until at least the 1500's?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Good deep dish pizza is amazing and can crush all other forms of pizza. Sadly, I grew up in California where our pizza mostly sucks.

Reactions: zinfamous

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
How is pizza a thousand years old when tomatoes didnt make it to europe until at least the 1500's?
They simply didn't put tomato sauce on Pizza back then. Peasants and the Poor Folks use cheese, anchovies, garlic and herbs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Good deep dish pizza is amazing and can crush all other forms of pizza. Sadly, I grew up in California where our pizza mostly sucks.

This is true--CA sucks for pizza.

I like both styles, but generally prefer a good NY pizza with proper crust, to deep dish.

But both are great, and both are absolutely pizza. Only commie fascists would disagree, as they also sit here inventing histories of the dish that they know absolutely nothing about, claim anchovies are somehow "wrong" or that things like clams and pineapple could ever be acceptable.

wrong! wrong! wrong!

Reactions: Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
what if I told you that....pizza pie is a pie? ...it's all a pie.
Anyone ever been to a pizza place that sells desert pizza? Apple Cinnamon Pizza isn't the same as apple pie.

Pizza dough is not the same as traditional pie crust dough, which is unleavened.

Even deep dish pizza is made with leavened dough and it rises some in the bake... If you don't like it don't eat it. I just remember that chi town has the Chicago dogs and deep dish....both are unique experiences and a welcomed change from the normal hot dogs and flat pizza you can get anywhere. I live a long way from NYC, but can get NY Style pizza down the street from 5 different pizzerias. No one here wants to wait over half an hour for a pizza and pay more, so Chicago style is dead here...

Reactions: zinfamous

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It isn't that anchovies don't belong on pizza (which is true) but that anchovies aren't even food. Anchovies are like live versions of the sludge that one finds on the exhaust ports of an engine with a cracked head.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Anyone ever been to a pizza place that sells desert pizza? Apple Cinnamon Pizza isn't the same as apple pie.

Pizza dough is not the same as traditional pie crust dough, which is unleavened.

Even deep dish pizza is made with leavened dough and it rises some in the bake... If you don't like it don't eat it. I just remember that chi town has the Chicago dogs and deep dish....both are unique experiences and a welcomed change from the normal hot dogs and flat pizza you can get anywhere. I live a long way from NYC, but can get NY Style pizza down the street from 5 different pizzerias. No one here wants to wait over half an hour for a pizza and pay more, so Chicago style is dead here...

Whatever, Ben.

Roundling

Sep 14, 2019
Deep dish is awesome if you get it at the right place. And I hope to all that is holy you're not basing this off of a frozen pizza.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Deep dish pizza DOES suck when you have it at a place that tries to imitate great pizza places in Chicago.

Lou Malnati's - absolutely superb deep dish. They use hand-crushed San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce, and the pizza is sweet, light, with a heavenly crunchy crust. It's a special destination and my family eats there every time we're in town.

Giordano’s - Go here if you're VERY hungry. They make a pizza "pie" that's made with a fan-fried garlic butter crust, cheese, another layer of crust, and then "toppings" (sausage, onion, and mushroom mandatory), then crushed tomatoes on top. Unique and amazing flavor. One pizza will feed 4-5 people. Go to the original location on the South side for the best experience (those old seasoned ovens make a difference).

Pequod's - Rustic deliciousness. Smaller deep pizzas with the edges burned "just right" so you get that caramelized cheese taste. This pizza was created to have with a pitcher of beer.

Any other city I've had deep dish pizza has been a heavy, rich mess. They don't use the right pans to get the crust right, it's mostly crust and to filling, it's undercooked, it's so dense it's overcooked...runs the gambit.

For those hating on deep dish pizza, knowing the history of it may help put you in the proper mindset: deep dish pizzas came from an Italian family recipe for "Easter Pie," where they would make a large pie full of special ingredients for guests during the holiday meal. It's supposed to be a special occasion food that that they turned into business.

Anytime they take a specialty food away from its origin, it loses something.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005

Because pizza does not have to be tomato-based. REAL pizza is a sauce, toppings and cheese on a flat crust. Pizza existed for a long time as various herbs and spices, garlic, olive oil and cheese on a FLATbread crust and occasionally other toppings like diced olives or even anchovies were added.

-Red, tomato based sauces are optional. White cream or olive oil sauces are still authentic pizza and even more authentic than red.
-Mozzarella is optional, authentic pizza was made with a wide variety of cheeses in that region, provolone, Parmesan, Romano, even ricotta.
- Toppings are optional. It can be a plain spiced sauce and cheese, if desired then toppings like anchovy, pepperoni, olives, whatever was common to a specific region were added.
- The ONE THING that is not optional is crust style. Real pizza is thin crust. Period. That's not even debatable despite what the whiny children here believe. The definition of the dish mandates a thin crust. Anything served as a casserole is not pizza no matter what some uneducated buffoons call it.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It's too bad that you don't appreciate the irony in that statement while you simultaneously fanboy Italian casserole that only calls itself pizza.

Are you trying to say something snarky? It didn't work.

Deep dish pizza is something that is rooted in Italian culture, immigrants to Chicago developed their original idea there, and that's where it all started. Other cities tried to copy the idea and they always get something wrong. If you want a delicious food, go to the area it began. Replicated copies are always "off" and lead to the pizza's bad rep.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Deep dish pizza DOES suck when you have it at a place that tries to imitate great pizza places in Chicago.

Lou Malnati's - absolutely superb deep dish. They use hand-crushed San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce, and the pizza is sweet, light, with a heavenly crunchy crust. It's a special destination and my family eats there every time we're in town.

Giordano’s - Go here if you're VERY hungry. They make a pizza "pie" that's made with a fan-fried garlic butter crust, cheese, another layer of crust, and then "toppings" (sausage, onion, and mushroom mandatory), then crushed tomatoes on top. Unique and amazing flavor. One pizza will feed 4-5 people. Go to the original location on the South side for the best experience (those old seasoned ovens make a difference).

Pequod's - Rustic deliciousness. Smaller deep pizzas with the edges burned "just right" so you get that caramelized cheese taste. This pizza was created to have with a pitcher of beer.

Any other city I've had deep dish pizza has been a heavy, rich mess. They don't use the right pans to get the crust right, it's mostly crust and to filling, it's undercooked, it's so dense it's overcooked...runs the gambit.

For those hating on deep dish pizza, knowing the history of it may help put you in the proper mindset: deep dish pizzas came from an Italian family recipe for "Easter Pie," where they would make a large pie full of special ingredients for guests during the holiday meal. It's supposed to be a special occasion food that that they turned into business.

I agree 100% Had deep dish pizza in Chicago a few times and it was amazing. However, the only other times I have had it, it comes from a local pizza place and it is terrible. It makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. Also deep dish pizza is pizza.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
It isn't that anchovies don't belong on pizza (which is true) but that anchovies aren't even food. Anchovies are like live versions of the sludge that one finds on the exhaust ports of an engine with a cracked head.
this is just wrong

Reactions: whm1974

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Pretty much the original pizza invented in Naples.

DoubleFermentation.jpg

Every other type of pizza is either good or bad.

You get to decide for yourselves, and argue about until the end of time.

Merry Christmas.

Funny thing, I was in Naples end of Sept. I didn't think their pizza was all that impressive. We tried a variety of locations, and there were plenty. But none of them were memorable. And I like the Neapolitan style of pizza the best. More funny to me, best Pizza I have had in Europe was in Versailles at a small shop off the main road. Owner was from Sardinia.

But did have some really good Cappuccino every morning to get the day started in Naples.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I have been to Pequods. Was able to consume 1.5 slices then full for a half a week.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Nice, I didnt know the history of the tomato until today. No idea the plant originated in South and Central America.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Anchovies are small fish that they do eat fresh and grilled in Italy. So yes they are indeed food.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Because pizza does not have to be tomato-based. REAL pizza is a sauce, toppings and cheese on a flat crust. Pizza existed for a long time as various herbs and spices, garlic, olive oil and cheese on a FLATbread crust and occasionally other toppings like diced olives or even anchovies were added.

-Red, tomato based sauces are optional. White cream or olive oil sauces are still authentic pizza and even more authentic than red.
-Mozzarella is optional, authentic pizza was made with a wide variety of cheeses in that region, provolone, Parmesan, Romano, even ricotta.
- Toppings are optional. It can be a plain spiced sauce and cheese, if desired then toppings like anchovy, pepperoni, olives, whatever was common to a specific region were added.
- The ONE THING that is not optional is crust style. Real pizza is thin crust. Period. That's not even debatable despite what the whiny children here believe. The definition of the dish mandates a thin crust. Anything served as a casserole is not pizza no matter what some uneducated buffoons call it.

In America deep dish pizza is pizza. You can disagree all you want but it won't change the facts. Casserole in the U.S. is not served on a crust, period. Now if you live in Italy things may be different over there, but if you are American then you are just being obtuse.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Pan pizza (thick crust) is fine. Deep dish pizza really isn't pizza...and Uno's was never (IMO) good.
We had a local small pizza place that made delicious "deep dish" pizza. Maybe it was not true "pizza", but whatever you want to call it, it was one of the best things I have ever eaten.
Unfortunately, the owner died and the place went out of business. Overall though I dont care for deep dish pizza either.