Im sorry, deep dish pizza really sucks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
View attachment 14821

That's not pizza. It's a pie.
For the same reason that an ice cream cone isn't an ice cream sundae. Pizza is a dish that was invented by putting tomato sauce and toppings on a thin crispy crust. That was the first and the ONLY pizza for a thousand years. Chicago Italian casserole has been around for about 50 years and the name is clearly stolen from REAL pizza simply because it has some of the same ingredients as actual pizza. When you're talking about a 1000 year old iconic food the construction and ratios of ingredients are every bit as important as the ingredients themselves. Taking ground beef and sprinkling it on a lettuce and tomato salad with french dressing and croutons IS NOT A FREAKING HAMBURGER even if the same ingredients assembled a different way in different proportions are a hamburger. THAT is why Chicago Italian casserole is not a pizza no matter what some poseurs try to call it. Pizza is pizza and the Chicago style crap is different.
Look you two, Pizza is a type of savory pie!!! So Deep Dish is just another variety of pizza with deeper crust. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So there!!!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Pizza is not a pie unless you do it wrong!
Oh yes Pizza is considered to be a Pie. Are you some Italian who erroneously believes that there is only One True Form of Pizza? Oh wait you always have Anchovies on your pizza like a True Italian don't you? Do not get me wrong, I enjoy the little fish for a topping now and then, but certainly not all of the time.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh yes Pizza is considered to be a Pie. Are you some Italian who erroneously believes that there is only One True Form of Pizza? Oh wait you always have Anchovies on your pizza like a True Italian don't you? Do not get me wrong, I enjoy the little fish for a topping now and then, but certainly not all of the time.
Wut?

I'm not Italian. I dont always have anchovies on my pizza. There is more than one type of pizza base. That weird tomato and cheese stew in a bread bowl is not pizza. It tastes ok, but it's not pizza.

There you go, all your misunderstandings cleared up for you! :)

Reactions: destrekor

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Pretty much the original pizza invented in Naples.

DoubleFermentation.jpg

Every other type of pizza is either good or bad.

You get to decide for yourselves, and argue about until the end of time.

Merry Christmas.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Agree, but only because we come from NY. Recently went to Chicago as a family and just HAD to try it out. The taste was fine, but it just wasn't pizza. It was like a modified lasagna with a crust. Our friend from Buffalo had been living there for 10+ years and still doesn't like it. Funny thing is, Buffalo pizza is terrible too.

Last edited:

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Look you two, Pizza is a type of savory pie!!! So Deep Dish is just another variety of pizza with deeper crust. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So there!!!

Is a calzone a pizza? It's dough, sauce, cheese and usually meat.

images

Is a meatball grinder a piiza? It's dough, sauce, cheese and meat.

1577287121506.jpeg

How about this? It's dough, sauce, cheese and meat.

1577287208062.jpeg

None of those are pizzas, so why does your Italian casserole magically qualify as "pizza" when it isn't?

By the way, a pizza is in no way, shape or form a "pie". The word pie was used as slang by Italian immigrants who noticed that it was served in triangular wedges like a pie. The definition of pizza is sauce, cheese and often meat on a FLAT, thin dough crust.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Is a calzone a pizza? It's dough, sauce, cheese and usually meat.

images

Is a meatball grinder a piiza? It's dough, sauce, cheese and meat.

View attachment 14830

How about this? It's dough, sauce, cheese and meat.

View attachment 14831

None of those are pizzas, so why does your Italian casserole magically qualify as "pizza" when it isn't?

By the way, a pizza is in no way, shape or form a "pie". The word pie was used as slang by Italian immigrants who noticed that it was served in triangular wedges like a pie. The definition of pizza is sauce, cheese and often meat on a FLAT, thin dough crust.
You're logic is impeccable but you are still wrong. Deep dish pizza is certainly pizza and you are wrong, wrong as wrong can be. There is no further depth left in the well of wrongness for you have plumbed bottom.

Reactions: whm1974

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
You're logic is impeccable but you are still wrong. Deep dish pizza is certainly pizza and you are wrong, wrong as wrong can be. There is no further depth left in the well of wrongness for you have plumbed bottom.

Sure there is, you constantly lower the bar to depths no sane human can reach.

Webster:
: a dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and cheese and often other toppings and baked

Dictionary.com
a flat, open-faced baked pie of Italian origin, consisting of a thin layer of bread dough topped with spiced tomato sauce and cheese, often garnished with anchovies, sausage slices, mushrooms, etc.

Cambridge dictionary
a flat, usually round bread that is baked covered with tomato sauce, cheese, and often pieces of vegetables or meat:

Lexico:
A dish of Italian origin, consisting of a flat round base of dough baked with a topping of tomatoes and cheese, typically with added meat, fish, or vegetables.

Pizza is flat, period. A turd doesn't magically transform into a steak just because the residents of one city decide to call it a t-bone.

Nov 8, 2012
Can we just all agree that anyone that orders a "Cheese pizza" is an abhorrent individual that should be vanquished? Same with people who just do Pepporoni

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sure there is, you constantly lower the bar to depths no sane human can reach.

Webster:
: a dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and cheese and often other toppings and baked

Dictionary.com
a flat, open-faced baked pie of Italian origin, consisting of a thin layer of bread dough topped with spiced tomato sauce and cheese, often garnished with anchovies, sausage slices, mushrooms, etc.

Cambridge dictionary
a flat, usually round bread that is baked covered with tomato sauce, cheese, and often pieces of vegetables or meat:

Lexico:
A dish of Italian origin, consisting of a flat round base of dough baked with a topping of tomatoes and cheese, typically with added meat, fish, or vegetables.

Pizza is flat, period. A turd doesn't magically transform into a steak just because the residents of one city decide to call it a t-bone.
Two of your sources claim that fish belongs on pizza and here you are claiming to have any actual knowledge of the subject? For shame!

Reactions: whm1974

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Why are we arguing that something the size of a pie or calzone is still pizza? They are different names for a reason.

Deep-dish pizza is not pizza. It's deep-dish pizza-wannabe. Trademark that bish.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Two of your sources claim that fish belongs on pizza and here you are claiming to have any actual knowledge of the subject? For shame!

Fish does just fine on a pizza. While I don't personally care for anchovies many people do and they're entitled to use them. What I like is white clam pizza, something invented and made famous here in my neck of the woods.

Frank_pepe_clam_pie.jpg

Let me recap for you. Pizza is a thin crust with sauce, cheese and toppings.

Anchovy pizza is pizza
White clam pizza is pizza
Even that godawful ham and pineapple abomination is pizza.
Italian casserole IS NOT PIZZA.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Fish does just fine on a pizza. While I don't personally care for anchovies many people do and they're entitled to use them. What I like is white clam pizza, something invented and made famous here in my neck of the woods.

Frank_pepe_clam_pie.jpg

Let me recap for you. Pizza is a thin crust with sauce, cheese and toppings.

Anchovy pizza is pizza
White clam pizza is pizza
Even that godawful ham and pineapple abomination is pizza.
Italian casserole IS NOT PIZZA.
White crap negates any claim to pizzaness. You are sadly confused as to what pizza is. Even your appeal to authority above, a flawed as it is, recognizes that red sauce is an essential component of pizza.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Any pizza can suck. It's all about the skill of the cook and how fresh the ingredients are.

Deep dish is not my preferred style, but I still like it. Best deep dish I ever had was in Nova Scotia of all places, not Chicago. I don't like any frozen pizza, deep dish or otherwise. My family takes pizza pretty seriously. An outdoor wood fired pizza oven was added to our camp in Maine last summer at great expense, it's a damn work of art. Pizza cooks in 3-4min. Literally takes longer to assemble the dough, sauce and toppings then it does to cook the whole thing. Merica. Fuck yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: whm1974 and lxskllr

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
White crap negates any claim to pizzaness. You are sadly confused as to what pizza is. Even your appeal to authority above, a flawed as it is, recognizes that red sauce is an essential component of pizza.
What do mean white sauce on pizza makes the dish not pizza? I'm sure that the Italians have at least a few white sauces they use on pizza.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yup. Tarte flambee is good but it's not pizza. In the same way that that soup in a bread bowl can be good but isn't pizza!