If you were a school police officer, would you confront an active shooter with a AR-15?

If you were a school police officer, would you confront an active shooter with a AR-15?

• I would try to take down the active shooter by myself

• I would take cover and wait for backup

• I would confront the active shooter if I had a AR-15 too

Results are only viewable after voting.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Or would you take cover and wait for SWAT? Make your decision in 10 seconds.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I would try to take down the shooter by myself.

I wouldn't try very hard though. I have a cat at home who is counting on me to spoon his poop in to a paper bag every day.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I don't know if I'd actually engage him, vut I would try to draw his fire and wait for an opportunity.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Columbine was a lesson in not waiting, and LEOs have been extensively trained to engage immediately to stop the killing.

While this guy was thinking about himself (now it seems 4 cops were hiding outside) kids were dying.

This is why teachers/staff need to be armed, as they are already in the fight, and have some skin in the game.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd do it right now with nothing but my knife. It might work, and if not, it's a good way to die. Better than pancreatic cancer like my father, or getting mushy headed like my mother.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Columbine was a lesson in not waiting, and LEOs have been extensively trained to engage immediately to stop the killing.

While this guy was thinking about himself (now it seems 4 cops were hiding outside) kids were dying.

This is why teachers/staff need to be armed, as they are already in the fight, and have some skin in the game.

Nope best to get rid of the weapons that are designed to kill humans.

Reactions: NAC4EV and preCRT

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
If you're not willing to engage an active shooter you have no business holding a position as an armed guard. That's what they're there for. Anyone can run and hide, if that's all you're willing to do get a job as the school janitor.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
If you're not willing to engage an active shooter you have no business holding a position as an armed guard. That's what they're there for. Anyone can run and hide, if that's all you're willing to do get a job as the school janitor.

Agreed.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Meh...it’s too easy for armchair warriors to say, “hell yes, I’d run in with a pistol and kill the shooter, even though I don’t know how many there are or how they might be armed! I’m an internet badass...you should see me at Call of Duty!”

If you’ve never been in combat, especially close quarters combat, you have ZERO idea how you’d actually respond in such a situation.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Meh...it’s too easy for armchair warriors to say, “hell yes, I’d run in with a pistol and kill the shooter, even though I don’t know how many there are or how they might be armed! I’m an internet badass...you should see me at Call of Duty!”

If you’ve never been in combat, especially close quarters combat, you have ZERO idea how you’d actually respond in such a situation.

This has nothing to do with being an armchair warrior. These officers on the most part are highly trained (at least in DFW, look up the Dallas police shootings). Unless they are stupid, most wear bulletproof vests. On the two ride a longs I went on, both officers had AR-15s locked to the cage within their police vehicles, along with a semi-auto hand gun(I was given a vest to wear for protection as well).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think most people would like to say they would play the hero, but the reality is quite different when survival instinct kicks in. Most of us would probably be hiding scared to come out when it really came to it, trained or not. I could not say one way or the other how I would react.

I don't put a whole lot of blame on the officer, but at the same time, I think he needs to find a new career, he isn't suited for the one he's in unless he gets a desk job.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Nope best to get rid of the weapons that are designed to kill humans.

Do people really think this is going to fix anything? Seriously? Explain to me how if there were zero guns suddenly mass killing by insane, enraged, and/or mentally ill would stop? Please, I want to know what mindset leads to that path. Serious question. Keep in mind there is NO way to get rid of EVERYTHING (even with no guns) and seriously think about it.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
I think most people would like to say they would play the hero, but the reality is quite different when survival instinct kicks in. Most of us would probably be hiding scared to come out when it really came to it, trained or not. I could not say one way or the other how I would react.

I don't put a whole lot of blame on the officer, but at the same time, I think he needs to find a new career, he isn't suited for the one he's in unless he gets a desk job.

Go read todays news. It wasn’t just 1 officer that hid and waited, it is now 4 officers that waited and didn’t enter the school.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
This has nothing to do with being an armchair warrior. These officers on the most part are highly trained (at least in DFW, look up the Dallas police shootings). Unless they are stupid, most wear bulletproof vests. On the two ride a longs I went on, both officers had AR-15s locked to the cage within their police vehicles, along with a semi-auto hand gun(I was given a vest to wear for protection as well).

Training and actually being in the heat is a completely different thing. Especially if you are standing outside and no one has eyes on anything.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Do people really think this is going to fix anything? Seriously? Explain to me how if there were zero guns suddenly mass killing by insane, enraged, and/or mentally ill would stop? Please, I want to know what mindset leads to that path. Serious question. Keep in mind there is NO way to get rid of EVERYTHING (even with no guns) and seriously think about it.

I agree, these people will find other means in causing mass casualties. Whether it be bombs (Oklahoma City), trucks driving through crowded sidewalks(New York City and Paris), machetes (London), gassings(Tokyo subway) or a combination of any of these.

Reactions: SeaSerpent

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

So nothing should be illegal or regulated, amirite?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So nothing should be illegal or regulated, amirite?

That's not the point and you know it. If you are going to use 'mass shootings' as a reason to regulate/ban something, you damn well better be thinking about if it actually solves what you are trying to solve, especially when regulations/bans rarely have any impact. Remember the drug war? How about prohibition? Then consider you won't ever actually get all the guns that are already out there. You end up with the real criminals having them anyway. We don't need nukes, but here the world has 1000's of them. etc etc. Just because it isn't supposed to be in the world, doesn't mean it won't be.

Concentrate on the REAL problem. It isn't the guns. Take away guns, a person intent on making a statement and killing people will do it a different way. *note I don't own any guns* but I have the sense to know that isn't where the issue is.

Reactions: SeaSerpent

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I agree, these people will find other means in causing mass casualties. Whether it be bombs (Oklahoma City), trucks driving through crowded sidewalks(New York City and Paris), machetes (London), gassings(Tokyo subway) or a combination of any of these.

I do have to say I'd much rather be shot than have acid thrown in my face or get partially blown up by some home made explosive device.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Training and actually being in the heat is a completely different thing. Especially if you are standing outside and no one has eyes on anything.

So how will you react to a home invasion? Will you run and hide or will you confront? I’ve lived through a home invasion and I know how I reacted. I was VERY afraid but I confronted the invader with my semi-auto shotgun. Once he saw my weapon, HE fled in fear.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That's not the point and you know it. If you are going to use 'mass shootings' as a reason to regulate/ban something, you damn well better be thinking about if it actually solves what you are trying to solve, especially when regulations/bans rarely have any impact. Remember the drug war? How about prohibition? Then consider you won't ever actually get all the guns that are already out there. You end up with the real criminals having them anyway. We don't need nukes, but here the world has 1000's of them. etc etc. Just because it isn't supposed to be in the world, doesn't mean it won't be.

Concentrate on the REAL problem. It isn't the guns. Take away guns, a person intent on making a statement and killing people will do it a different way. *note I don't own any guns* but I have the sense to know that isn't where the issue is.

Your argument goes the same way again - it's not things that do anything, it's just people, so why regulate anything. You honestly don't think objects enable or inspire people to do certain things in a certain manner? If not you are a fool. And why doesn't any other 1st world democratic nation have the kind of gun violence we have here? Advanced genetics? Can you answer that?

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Your argument goes the same way again - it's not things that do anything, it's just people, so why regulate anything. You honestly don't think objects enable or inspire people to do certain things in a certain manner? If not you are a fool. And why doesn't any other 1st world democratic nation have the kind of gun violence we have here? Advanced genetics? Can you answer that?

Their violence hasn’t disappeared, it has just taken a different form.