if you had to be a minority race...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
ABC Power!

I'm already a minority, I don't think i would like being caucasian or European descent. I think that first generation ABCs, which I am, have the best of two worlds.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
what's with this generalization that being black automatically means receiving handouts and beng overtly supported by government? I'm black and I don't get any handouts. I have to pay close to phukin 42% in taxes because I'm a young single male who's doing very well. Where's my handout? I have to deal with conventional and unconventional racism that other minorities will never experience. I have the burden of rediscovering my roots because it was lost. Unlike most other Americans, I have no native language I can call my own. I don't trust the authorities. I have little faith in the political system that most people so strongly value. Nevertheless, it's in my interest to continue work with all these different elements of society rather than against them.

Again, cease with the generalizations.
I don't think many people think blacks get handouts at all... did maybe one or two people on this board say that? I can agree with you on the untrusting authorities. Racial profiling is now happening with people of Middle Eastern descent. But what does 42% taxation have to do with anything but marital status / dependencies + income ? That applies to all Americans unless you're on some kind of program. Tax = price we pay for living in such a great country...

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
partly related and not to offend anyone:

Where do African-Americans have their last names from (way back in slavery I guess)? The ones I heard dont sound African. Did they get the names of their "owner"?

Whatever, dunno how to express this better/pol. correct.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
asians are minorities?

seems we don't get that label when inconvenient:( in the supreme court hearings over that michigan affirmative action case minorities seemed to include only blacks and hispanics:disgust:

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: rh71
n0cmonkey, what's 8a ?

I don't know all of the details. It is basically a minority (female, black, etc) owned business. Various parts of the government have a quota that they must buy x% of their stuff from 8a companies and crap like that. And yes, sometimes they choose 8a over cheapest.

It's just whining.

It was challenged and went to the Supreme Court in 1995 and some parts of it were upheld and others not. It's legal as it currently is.

I'd be Latin.

Legal or not, they get special treatment. And not because of something they have done to make themselves better than the competition.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
what's with this generalization that being black automatically means receiving handouts and beng overtly supported by government? I'm black and I don't get any handouts.

Start an 8a. Or be proud of yourself.

I have to pay close to phukin 42% in taxes because I'm a young single male who's doing very well.

Me too! Although I don't think I'm doing that well.

Where's my handout?

You can probably get something if you really want it.

I have to deal with conventional and unconventional racism that other minorities will never experience. I have the burden of rediscovering my roots because it was lost.

Thank the slave traders for that one. Don't blame the white guys out there now. You may not know this, but we had nothing to do that with that.

Unlike most other Americans, I have no native language I can call my own.

You didn't learn English as you were growing up?

I don't trust the authorities.

Nor do I.

I have little faith in the political system that most people so strongly value.

Again, neither do I.

Nevertheless, it's in my interest to continue work with all these different elements of society rather than against them.

Again, cease with the generalizations.

I did not see many generalizations. The worst things I saw were experiences people were talking about that that they had with various races and my comments on how I think 8a, affirmative action, etc is a bunch of crap.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: dquan97
You're right about being Asian in this generation...everyone assumes that you're smart and well-endowed. Which are all, of course, TRUE! :D

statistically, Asians are .5" smaller than whites.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I'd be Samoan. That way I'd hopefully grow up to be about 6'3", 320 lbs and could make millions in the NFL crushing tiny white quarterbacks. :D

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Lifer
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace
Originally posted by: notfred
If I had to pick a race to be, other than white, I'd be Japanese.

koreans rock ;) you can get conceited & wear expensive brand name clothes, only hang with other koreans + look down on every other asians.(physically/figuratively speaking)

[edit] blech, what's up with these fugly smiles... jap = be prepared to lose about 5" in height ;) <-- blech

Yeah, I noticed that Koreans are cocky mofos.
I'm white, and my group of friends is mixed, between white, chinese, indian, etc. but we only have 1 korean guy.
He says it's because koreans think it's not cool if they hang out with other races, esp. other asian races, as if they were superior.
Pretty dumb if you ask me.

You go ahead and keep pretending to be cool hanging out in front of the library and smoking your stoags with your ridiculous hairstyles.

BTW, your "gurf" probably left you for a chinese dude :Q

Ya

that's the way to do it. let's decry racism by being racist.
rolleye.gif

hehehe, in college i noticed lots of groups, chinese groups, filipino groups, thai groups. it's ok for them to do it and not for koreans??

it's not unusual OR WRONG to want to hang out with a group of people you have a lot in common with.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: dquan97
You're right about being Asian in this generation...everyone assumes that you're smart and well-endowed. Which are all, of course, TRUE! :D

statistically, Asians are .5" smaller than whites.
Wow how'd you come to know this information? And define "whites" ...

You're right about being Asian in this generation...everyone assumes that you're smart and well-endowed. Which are all, of course, TRUE!
Actually, I think everyone thinks you're smart, but have small weiners and minimal social ability.
Stereotype obviously.