if you had to be a minority race...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: joe678
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: Nitemare

why is it African American instead of American? some people like being labeled or labeling

I guess. I wonder what it is about being an American where that is just not enough...

u dont get affirmative action for being just american...

have to be non-white, Indian, or Asian as well.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
n0cmonkey, what's 8a ?

I don't know all of the details. It is basically a minority (female, black, etc) owned business. Various parts of the government have a quota that they must buy x% of their stuff from 8a companies and crap like that. And yes, sometimes they choose 8a over cheapest.

ChinamanatNCSU

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2001
What I find somewhat strange is that asians don't seem to be considered minorities at times. Here at State the Minority Association only recognizes blacks and hispanics as the minority- we asians apparently get lumped in with the caucasians, even though we are a minority by a long shot.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ChinamanatNCSU
What I find somewhat strange is that asians don't seem to be considered minorities at times. Here at State the Minority Association only recognizes blacks and hispanics as the minority- we asians apparently get lumped in with the caucasians, even though we are a minority by a long shot.

It's called you don't need it, Just like the rainbow coalition only has one color in it. You should ask them to put that on paper so you forward that information on to NAAAP and the ACLU :cool:

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace
Originally posted by: notfred
If I had to pick a race to be, other than white, I'd be Japanese.

koreans rock ;) you can get conceited & wear expensive brand name clothes, only hang with other koreans + look down on every other asians.(physically/figuratively speaking)

[edit] blech, what's up with these fugly smiles... jap = be prepared to lose about 5" in height ;) <-- blech

:D
I would have to say Korean, cause every Asian person already thinks I'm Korean anyways. A Korean person approach me and said, "Are you Korean, you dress like Korean person, and you have Korean style hair cut"

I was thinking WTF. All my Asian buddies thought I was Korean when they first met me.
I'm Viet/Chinese.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser

koreans rock ;) you can get conceited & wear expensive brand name clothes, only hang with other koreans + look down on every other asians.(physically/figuratively speaking)

[edit] blech, what's up with these fugly smiles... jap = be prepared to lose about 5" in height ;) <-- blech

I would have to say Korean, cause every Asian person already thinks I'm Korean anyways. A Korean person approach me and said, "Are you Korean, you dress like Korean person, and you have Korean style hair cut"

I was thinking WTF. All my Asian buddies thought I was Korean when they first met me.
I'm Viet/Chinese.

I'm white and I've been approached and asked if I was part Asian (by a half Korean). After I told her no, she basically walked away. :p

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm chinese/taiwanese and I wouldn't give it up for any other race.

I wouldn't mind being black for a month though. Black people are cool, one black guy is cooler than 5 fobs in designer clothers driving slammed lexuses.

psy44

Banned
May 20, 2002
I would want to be asian if I wanted status. If I didn't want to be discriminated that much, I would be Hispanic since they are the largest minority.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Jehovah
Which race/ethnicity would you pick ? My fiance and I were discussing which minority race was the most "fortunate" to be if we weren't white in America. This is based upon what sort of hardships (or lack thereof) we have to face growing up, as adults, and whenever else.

We both agreed being Chinese/Asian isn't bad at all in "white America". Among the reasons were that we get "benefits" for simply looking Asian with Asian businesses... sometimes tax-free stuff for anything as long as we pay cash, etc. This may apply for other races, but I'm not aware of it. On the flip-side, looking like an Asian comes with generalizations favoring me. Other people would think we're not as good in certain sports (they praise our ability 10x more if we show them different). What about "equal opportunity" employment ? Some companies have a quota to fill, whether purposely or not... so jobs may sometimes come easier.

I'm starting to think being a minority is better than being a caucasian here in the states. Sure there are racist faces out there, especially growing up with ignorant kids the same age, but I think the benefits for being a minority make up for it sometimes...

Anyway, I guess another way to phrase the question is... which minority has it the best in North America ?

Try living in an area where the KKK holds rallies/the headquarters of Matt Hale's cult is an hour away and say that . . .
rolleye.gif

Look up a guy named Alex Curtis in San Diego...racists are going to be everywhere, but it only gets published if it happens in the South.

Matt Hale lives in Rockford, IL iirc

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Maetryx
I would say that Jews have it "better" than Asians as a minority group in "white America".

I don't think being jewish counts as being a minority...you can't really tell for sure if someone is jewish, plus, it is as much a religion as a minority group. Jews aren't necessarilly a minority group, imho.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser

I'm Viet/Chinese.

So you must be tall for a viet/chinese. :)

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
n0cmonkey, what's 8a ?

I don't know all of the details. It is basically a minority (female, black, etc) owned business. Various parts of the government have a quota that they must buy x% of their stuff from 8a companies and crap like that. And yes, sometimes they choose 8a over cheapest.

It's just whining.

It was challenged and went to the Supreme Court in 1995 and some parts of it were upheld and others not. It's legal as it currently is.

I'd be Latin.

Lifer

Banned
Feb 17, 2003

Yeah, I noticed that Koreans are cocky mofos.
I'm white, and my group of friends is mixed, between white, chinese, indian, etc. but we only have 1 korean guy.
He says it's because koreans think it's not cool if they hang out with other races, esp. other asian races, as if they were superior.
Pretty dumb if you ask me.

You go ahead and keep pretending to be cool hanging out in front of the library and smoking your stoags with your ridiculous hairstyles.

BTW, your "gurf" probably left you for a chinese dude :Q

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
what's with this generalization that being black automatically means receiving handouts and beng overtly supported by government? I'm black and I don't get any handouts. I have to pay close to phukin 42% in taxes because I'm a young single male who's doing very well. Where's my handout? I have to deal with conventional and unconventional racism that other minorities will never experience. I have the burden of rediscovering my roots because it was lost. Unlike most other Americans, I have no native language I can call my own. I don't trust the authorities. I have little faith in the political system that most people so strongly value. Nevertheless, it's in my interest to continue work with all these different elements of society rather than against them.

Again, cease with the generalizations.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Wolverine27
Originally posted by: SammySon
I'd be black, so I could have a huge weiner.

ROTFLMAO!!! :D

Yea that is funny. But I would be the complete opposite, not white but in the weiner part. I'd choose to be korean, but thats only because I already am.