if you had to be a minority race...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,853
1,048
126
Which race/ethnicity would you pick ? My fiance and I were discussing which minority race was the most "fortunate" to be if we weren't white in America. This is based upon what sort of hardships (or lack thereof) we have to face growing up, as adults, and whenever else.

We both agreed being Chinese/Asian isn't bad at all in "white America". Among the reasons were that we get "benefits" for simply looking Asian with Asian businesses... sometimes tax-free stuff for anything as long as we pay cash, etc. This may apply for other races, but I'm not aware of it. On the flip-side, looking like an Asian comes with generalizations favoring me. Other people would think we're not as good in certain sports (they praise our ability 10x more if we show them different). What about "equal opportunity" employment ? Some companies have a quota to fill, whether purposely or not... so jobs may sometimes come easier.

I'm starting to think being a minority is better than being a caucasian here in the states. Sure there are racist faces out there, especially growing up with ignorant kids the same age, but I think the benefits for being a minority make up for it sometimes...

Anyway, I guess another way to phrase the question is... which minority has it the best in North America ?
 

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
4,543
0
0
Originally posted by: notfred
If I had to pick a race to be, other than white, I'd be Japanese.

koreans rock ;) you can get conceited & wear expensive brand name clothes, only hang with other koreans + look down on every other asians.(physically/figuratively speaking)

[edit] blech, what's up with these fugly smiles... jap = be prepared to lose about 5" in height ;) <-- blech
 

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
11,642
1
0
I would be of South American origin. Living in Brazil would be key. And moving to America wouldn't be so bad, cause hey, at least you're not mexican.
 

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
14,822
1
0
Originally posted by: rh71
Which race/ethnicity would you pick ? My fiance and I were discussing which minority race was the most "fortunate" to be if we weren't white in America. This is based upon what sort of hardships (or lack thereof) we have to face growing up, as adults, and whenever else.

We both agreed being Chinese/Asian isn't bad at all in "white America". Among the reasons were that we get "benefits" for simply looking Asian with Asian businesses... sometimes tax-free stuff for anything as long as we pay cash, etc. This may apply for other races, but I'm not aware of it. On the flip-side, looking like an Asian comes with generalizations favoring me. Other people would think we're not as good in certain sports (they praise our ability 10x more if we show them different). What about "equal opportunity" employment ? Some companies have a quota to fill, whether purposely or not... so jobs may sometimes come easier.

I'm starting to think being a minority is better than being a caucasian here in the states. Sure there are racist faces out there, especially growing up with ignorant kids the same age, but I think the benefits for being a minority make up for it sometimes...

Anyway, I guess another way to phrase the question is... which minority has it the best in North America ?

In Flushing and Chinatown, Chinese Americans (ABCs) are looked down upon. At least that's the general feeling I get when I'm around there.
 

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
3,366
1
0
yeah but if you are asian..that means you have asian parents. it's really hard growing up in a place that is majority white and have completely different values and a view of what's "normal" while growing up.

but you are right..out of all the minorities..i think asians have it the best.
 

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
19,721
1
0
hmm.. good question.

maybe indian? (like india indian, not native american)
 

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
4,849
1
81
I would say that Jews have it "better" than Asians as a minority group in "white America".
 

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,853
1,048
126
Originally posted by: prodigy69
In Flushing and Chinatown, Chinese Americans (ABCs) are looked down upon. At least that's the general feeling I get when I'm around there.
I go there maybe once a month and I'm an ABC... I didn't think they thought anything of us. Then again, I'm not there with friends who may act like they own the world (not saying you do) ... owners would definitely not like that. Be respectful and you shall get the same in return... with "our own people"... so I thought...

 

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
6,651
1
0
Originally posted by: weezergirl
yeah but if you are asian..that means you have asian parents. it's really hard growing up in a place that is majority white and have completely different values and a view of what's "normal" while growing up.

but you are right..out of all the minorities..i think asians have it the best.

I know! People who don't have first generation parents in general have it so much better:(

I would want to be from the Carribbean(sp?) or Latin (not Mexican:p)
 

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
12,011
3
0
You're right about being Asian in this generation...everyone assumes that you're smart and well-endowed. Which are all, of course, TRUE! :D
 

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,853
1,048
126
Originally posted by: dquan97
You're right about being Asian in this generation...everyone assumes that you're smart and well-endowed. Which are all, of course, TRUE! :D
Nah, I think the general consensus is that Asian males are less endowed...

WEIRD EH ?! ;)
 

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
19,721
1
0
Originally posted by: Spac3d
Originally posted by: Colt45
hmm.. good question.

maybe indian? (like india indian, not native american)

Why Indian???

I dont know. i was just picking something random.

hmm.. colombian maybe? people already say I look like im in the cartel. lol
 

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
35,466
3
76
I would say Asian, probably Chinese...


would suck not having a large weiner though...;) j/k
 

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
24,037
21
81
Native American (Eastern Shawnee).

Actually that's what I really am. Not only do I look white, but I get funds from my tribe, which are paybacks from the government for putting us on settlements. Plus, whenever I get in an arguments about who really belongs in the U.S., I can honestly say that by default it would be me since I originally owned this land. :D
 

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
42,936
1
0
Whatever, as long as I can start an 8A business and get picked first for government money and colleges. Because racism is only an important topic when whites are the offenders.
 

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
4,543
0
0
testing emoticons.. sorry

:beer::D:brokenheart::camera::clock::confused::cool::disgust::eek::evil::frown::gift::heart::light::lips::|:moon::music:
rolleye.gif
rose.gif
:(:Q:):sun::p:wine:;)