If you could own one piece of military hardware (non-WMD) what would it be?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Dark4ng3l
Me-262 fighter/bomber.

Messierschmidt? You've got to be kidding right? Aside from being an antique and worth money, it was one of the worst aircraft of it's time. It took way too much fuel, and was utterly ineffective because it literally "flew too fast" - pilots overflew their targets too often. Also, just the maintainence of these things was horrible. 85% of them never made it off the ground because of mechanical failures.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Spike
just give me a M1A2 Abrams... with a full load of sabot and HEAT rounds for the main cannon and full 5.57mm loads for both machine guns. Man, that would be a ton of fun. Just think of driving that thing into a dump or demolition derby... :)

-spike

That'd be my vote too :) I'll show those damn SUV drivers who's boss during my 6 mile urban commute!

An air craft carrier or a high tech jet, sub or chopper would fun to say you own...but you'd have to hire a pilot and/or a full crew to operate them. At least with a tank I'd stand a half ass chance of being able to run it. Oh, and one little "oopsie" won't send me plumeting to my death or make me sink. One "ooopsie" in a tank will just make my insurance premiums raise a bit :D

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Bradley. I would say M1A2, but the damn thing's too heavy for most surface streets. Can't be tearing up the pavement, can we?

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: TallBill
I actually just found an awesome picture of an SR-71 in all my junk here at home. My father used to work on the SR-71. Fuel would leak from the fuesalage while it was on ground.

Cant remember the reason, but when it was going super fast, the skin would tighten up or something and hold the fuel. :Q
It's the body. The titanium alloy they use there is GREAT under stress... it just expands under the heat generated by the flight. Solution: Make the according parts of the plane with gaps in them so that when they heats up, the expansion will seal everything up. It's certainly an interesting solution.

Myself, I'd go for a an M8 Greyhound with all the trimmings. Not only is it legal to drive them on the streets, they have a top speed of about 55 mph and a max range of 350 miles. Simply put your SUV = my bitch. The 50 cal roof gun, 30 cal turret mount and 37 mm main cannon (80 round capacity) make commuting to work so much easier.

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
A JSTARS aircraft.It would be like running ethereal but alot bigger .Oh the many packets I would pick up.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Bradley. I would say M1A2, but the damn thing's too heavy for most surface streets. Can't be tearing up the pavement, can we?

Why not? Who's gonna stop ya? :D

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
If I could have one piece of military equipment I gotta go old skool here and say a German WWII Tiger tank or perhaps an ME-109 fighter plane.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

For all the taxes you would end up paying for gas... I'd say that offsets the road degradation.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
A Dragger Lar V Closed Circuit Rebreather

Nothing like being able to stay underwater for several hours and not make any bubbles.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Mookow

For all the taxes you would end up paying for gas... I'd say that offsets the road degradation.

So, you're saying that 2 gallons to the mile is pretty bad gas milage? :p

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

Degredation?

That's putting it nicely :) I would prefer the words, 'rampant destruction.'

Originally posted by: PanzerIV
If I could have one piece of military equipment I gotta go old skool here and say a German WWII Tiger tank or perhaps an ME-109 fighter plane.

Now that would be cool.

I would have to go with the Iowa class battleship myself though. Always been a fan of them.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

So, you're saying that 2 gallons to the mile is pretty bad gas milage? :p

Pretty much, yeah. But nothing making 1500 HP is going to get 30 MPG, with average driving. And really, per pound, the gas mileage isnt all that bad.