If you could own one piece of military hardware (non-WMD) what would it be?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
10,162
0
0
Originally posted by: beer
Originally posted by: Mookow
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Bradley. I would say M1A2, but the damn thing's too heavy for most surface streets. Can't be tearing up the pavement, can we?
For all the taxes you would end up paying for gas... I'd say that offsets the road degradation.
Degredation?

That's putting it nicely :) I would prefer the words, 'rampant destruction.'
I was saving that phrase to describe what would happen should I ever get an Abrams.
 

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,057
0
76
Originally posted by: Mookow
Originally posted by: Colt45
an Akula (typhoon) class sub would be pretty slick.

an old Tu-95 bomber would be neat too.
The Akula is an attack sub. The Typhoon is a missile sub. Both of which are significantly inferior to US sub designs.
actually i think the russians call what we call the Typhoon, the akula. and the sub that we call the akula is called something else over there. confusing isnt it. and the akula is a damn good sub - probably on par with the 688. they just dont have too many of them.
 

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
63,089
12
76
fobot.com
*edit* D'oh!
they are turning her into a "SSGN" :Q

Guided Missile Submarines ? SSGN

i had not heard about this :confused:

Description: Nuclear-powered submarines armed with tactical missiles and the ability to transport and support special operations forces.

Background: Four Ohio-class Trident submarines that were previously scheduled for inactivation during Fiscal Years 2003 and 2004 are being converted to guided missile submarines (SSGN) over a five-year period ending in 2008. The primary missions of the SSGN will be land attack and Special Operations Forces (SOF) insertion and support. Secondary missions will be the traditional attack submarine missions of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), battle space preparation, and sea control.


These ships will be armed with up to 154 Tomahawk® or Tactical Tomahawk® land attack missiles. They will have the ability to carry and support a team of 66 SOF personnel for up to 90 days as compared to 15 days for a SOF outfitted fast attack submarine (SSN). Clandestine insertion and retrieval of these Special Operations Forces will be enhanced by the ability to host dual dry deck shelters and/or Advanced Seal Delivery System. Each SSGN will be able to conduct a variety of peace-time, conventional deterrent, and combat operations all within the same deployment.


USS Ohio (SSBN 726) entered the conversion yard on 15 November 2002. On 14 January 2003, USS Florida (SSBN 728) became the first Ohio-class submarine to launcha cruise missile. The launch was made from underwater in the Gulf of Mexico.
interesting
 

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
42,340
24,249
136
I will never get in ANYTHING powered by a Soviet designed nuclear reactor.
 

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
42,340
24,249
136
Originally posted by: FoBoT
*edit* D'oh!
they are turning her into a "SSGN" :Q

Guided Missile Submarines ? SSGN

i had not heard about this :confused:

Description: Nuclear-powered submarines armed with tactical missiles and the ability to transport and support special operations forces.

Background: Four Ohio-class Trident submarines that were previously scheduled for inactivation during Fiscal Years 2003 and 2004 are being converted to guided missile submarines (SSGN) over a five-year period ending in 2008. The primary missions of the SSGN will be land attack and Special Operations Forces (SOF) insertion and support. Secondary missions will be the traditional attack submarine missions of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), battle space preparation, and sea control.


These ships will be armed with up to 154 Tomahawk® or Tactical Tomahawk® land attack missiles. They will have the ability to carry and support a team of 66 SOF personnel for up to 90 days as compared to 15 days for a SOF outfitted fast attack submarine (SSN). Clandestine insertion and retrieval of these Special Operations Forces will be enhanced by the ability to host dual dry deck shelters and/or Advanced Seal Delivery System. Each SSGN will be able to conduct a variety of peace-time, conventional deterrent, and combat operations all within the same deployment.


USS Ohio (SSBN 726) entered the conversion yard on 15 November 2002. On 14 January 2003, USS Florida (SSBN 728) became the first Ohio-class submarine to launcha cruise missile. The launch was made from underwater in the Gulf of Mexico.
interesting
It is also worth noting that plenty of nuclear warheads for the Tomahawk have been kept in the stockpile.
 

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
10,162
0
0
Originally posted by: GOSHARKS
Originally posted by: Mookow
Originally posted by: Colt45
an Akula (typhoon) class sub would be pretty slick.

an old Tu-95 bomber would be neat too.
The Akula is an attack sub. The Typhoon is a missile sub. Both of which are significantly inferior to US sub designs.
actually i think the russians call what we call the Typhoon, the akula. and the sub that we call the akula is called something else over there. confusing isnt it. and the akula is a damn good sub - probably on par with the 688. they just dont have too many of them.
Some quick googling confirms that. All I can say is I use the NATO names for them.

The Akula (using the US nonclementure) is the best sub Russia has produced and actually built. I think it is roughly equivalent to an early Los Angeles class boat. However, compared to the current US designs, it is inferior. Ultra Quiet could give a definitive answer to all this, but he has not entered the thread (yet).
 

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
5,561
1
0
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: ed21x
I would like an aircraft carrier. :)
I'd like my own zipcode too.
Just ask to inherit your mom's.

OOOOHHHH! :D

On another note, provided I'd have fuel, I would want a Harrier.

If no extras are given, I would want any random .50 cal machine gun, to put facing my door. :)
I could at least buy ammo for it.
 

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
8,957
1
81
A Cutter from the Coast Guard, then head down to the south pacific and be a pirate ;) Arrrrrr
 

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
10,162
0
0
Originally posted by: LAUST
A Cutter from the Coast Guard, then head down to the south pacific and be a pirate ;) Arrrrrr
You could get Fausto as a crewmember ;)
 

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
3,776
0
0
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
I'd take an SR-71 Blackbird, thank you.
I'd take the blackbird if there wasn't an ungodly steep learning curve to fly the damn thing. Otherwise an f16 solely cause I use to be an f-16 crewchief
 

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
3,776
0
0
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Originally posted by: TallBill
I actually just found an awesome picture of an SR-71 in all my junk here at home. My father used to work on the SR-71. Fuel would leak from the fuesalage while it was on ground.

Cant remember the reason, but when it was going super fast, the skin would tighten up or something and hold the fuel. :Q
I've heard that too. Something about the heat generated during travel causing the skin to swell shut or some such. I dunno.
thats what it was you could either have stress on the panels while it was in the air(from them expanded) or leak some fuel on the ground
 

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
42,340
24,249
136
I just saw an SR-71 in person for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was five feet from the thing.

You don't really know how big the engines are until you are standing right next to the plane. They are freaking huge.:D

 

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
3,776
0
0
yeah they're awesome looking saw one when I was at lackland from far away(display thing) and when I went to the SAC museum in Nebraska the other was/is on display there
 

Emrys

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2002
1,055
0
76
pt boat from WW2, would be a great fishing boat/cruzing around on the east coast.
 

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
42,340
24,249
136
Originally posted by: Fiveohhh
yeah they're awesome looking saw one when I was at lackland from far away(display thing) and when I went to the SAC museum in Nebraska the other was/is on display there
I was down in Tucson and went to the Pima Air and Space museum. I had not been there in a few years, they have really added to the collection.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY