If you could own one piece of military hardware (non-WMD) what would it be?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Shockwave
SR-71 Blackbird. Sexiest plane EVAR.

You better get a refueling plane for it.. From what I've read, it takes off, then immediately needs re-fueled. Supposedly $300k just to get the plane off the ground. But still, I agree, fvcking sexy plane.

However, I'd probby take a Harrier jet.. I could start my own 'super fast taxi' service. I'd have to modify the jet to be able to take normal 93 Octane, though.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Shockwave
SR-71 Blackbird. Sexiest plane EVAR.

Man, I loved those things when I was a kid. Coolest thing ever as far as I was concerned.

I'm still going with an aircraft carrier though :p

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
just give me a M1A2 Abrams... with a full load of sabot and HEAT rounds for the main cannon and full 5.57mm loads for both machine guns. Man, that would be a ton of fun. Just think of driving that thing into a dump or demolition derby... :)

-spike

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by: beer
Originally posted by: love1u0
Originally posted by: Rent
A-10

me 2

Why A10? The Longbow is far more lethal than the A10 is :)

Well, for the average joe to hop into an Apache and be able to fly it without crashing....that would seem a bit unrealistic.

The A-10 on the other hand, I think my odds would be better with my piloting experience.

;)

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I actually just found an awesome picture of an SR-71 in all my junk here at home. My father used to work on the SR-71. Fuel would leak from the fuesalage while it was on ground.

Cant remember the reason, but when it was going super fast, the skin would tighten up or something and hold the fuel. :Q

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
I actually just found an awesome picture of an SR-71 in all my junk here at home. My father used to work on the SR-71. Fuel would leak from the fuesalage while it was on ground.

Cant remember the reason, but when it was going super fast, the skin would tighten up or something and hold the fuel. :Q

I've heard that too. Something about the heat generated during travel causing the skin to swell shut or some such. I dunno.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
an Akula (typhoon) class sub would be pretty slick.

an old Tu-95 bomber would be neat too.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Spike
just give me a M1A2 Abrams... with a full load of sabot and HEAT rounds for the main cannon and full 5.57mm loads for both machine guns. Man, that would be a ton of fun. Just think of driving that thing into a dump or demolition derby... :)

-spike

The M1A2 doesnt have any machine guns in 5.57. Or 5.56. The tank commander has a M2 machine gun in 12.7mm (old school, biyatch), and the loader's and the co-ax machine guns are M240's chambered in 7.62mm. The 5.56 NATO just isnt powerful enough to be useful on a tank. It lacks the range and knockdown power, and since the weight of the weapon isnt much of a concern... there isnt a compelling reason to go with 5.56mm.

But yeah, that'd be my choice for a commuter vehicle. Nothing says "get the hell out of my way" like a 120mm tank cannon pointed right at you. Though I'd like some canister rounds, if they make them for the M1's cannon. Sabot and HEAT are going to over-penetrate on the average target.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Colt45
an Akula (typhoon) class sub would be pretty slick.

an old Tu-95 bomber would be neat too.

The Akula is an attack sub. The Typhoon is a missile sub. Both of which are significantly inferior to US sub designs.