if the branches of the US military were fighting against one another

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
i love how the people in the armed forces know what they are talking about, and the people who aren't... are clueless maniacs. ;)

too many quotes to use quotes, so i shall just reply directly to names...

ValkyrieofHouston, how does that mean they are the superior in strength? We send them first because they have boats that happen to have all their firepower built in, and thus can be sent anywhere thats off an ocean. They can't deploy in the numbers required to overtake an entire country, for that it is required to use a significant portion of the marines. But the marines are too few in number to overwhelm the other branches.

dainthomas, if the country were the size of hawaii or rhode island.. sure the navy could win with aircraft carriers to send after the AF planes. But fighers lack range to reach the interior of the US. I don't know the range offhand so I can't even guess as to how far inland they could head. Carriers could really only be used from any bay, gulf, or ocean. They can't traverse any rivers due to being too tall for bridges, if I am not mistaken.

ed21x, sure the navy can attack with amphibious assaults, but that could never be used for any base that is anywhere past whatever the range of the batteries of the navy ships are, for once they are outside that grid of protection they are open to defensive maneuvers and assaults from whatever base they are moving on.

HBlazer, I like to think I am not crazy for understanding the Navy lacks the ability to assault deep inland and produce any significant damage on bases that are outside their attack range.

DurocShark, having planes does not equal air force. again, they could only be effective when assaults are deployed within the range of the ships attacks, and their fighters, once again, lack range.

why is it everyone loves the Navy for this scenario? I support the Navy and all, and yea, all branches are weak without the other. But in this scenario, they are the weakest. We don't attack big boats with small little dinghy's full of army men, or send paratroopers over the boats. The Navy is actually useless in this situation since they couldn't really do a damn thing, kinda like a lil pesky critter that just keeps biting your ankles. Sure they will hit a few bases within their range, but past that, they gotta sit there and send our fighters, hoping someone will forget and come within their range when trying to retake a base. :D

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: HBalzer
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
The Navy would win. They have their own air force and their own army (the marines).

From everything I can find, the USMC is not subordinate to the Navy. In fact, from what I have read they are both under the Department of the Navy, but nothing more.

Isn't that enough, the marines do fall under the Navy? The Navy would win no problem. If you believe otherwise you are crazy.

No, it is NOT the same. The Marines are a seperate branch. Ok, if you want to say that the Navy would make an alliance with the Marines, then sure, but that is a seperate issue.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
What if the AF teamed up with the army and teh navy teamed up with the marines? Then who would win?

~!*Gets lawn chair*!~

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
The Navy would win. They have their own air force and their own army (the marines).

Thier "airforce" taken down easy by one man teams in woods with stingers. Might last a day if navy is lucky. Thier marines would get decmated by army superior numbers and superior firepower (apaches/artillery/Abrams/etc). Thier now airplaneless ships and subs would get staved out because they have no land to grow anything to eat. But before that they'd all turn gay because they have no women.

inveterate

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2005
Guys the game is Command and Conquer not divide and conquer,, Why all this hate,, Love is what win wars. The love of a religious god in the case of "Jihads" which pretty much ends all other wars. Even with all our american military we've been unsuccessful in unraveling their spirit. If our military would show a little more love "not that they don't" perhaps we can truely bring um home.

lifeguard1999

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2000
The army wins. By definition, the one who is left alive holding the ground at the end wins. The AF would bomb the crud out of the army, but could never occupy the ground. By definition, the Navy nevers occupies the ground. Plus they are dependent on supplies (food, fuel, parts) from the land. The Marines would put up a great fight, but there are not enough of them to win in the long run.

ta8689

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2006
Air force takes out carriers with carpet bombs first to destroy planes and cause havoc, and a second pass with something big to sink it. Now if there are any fighters in the air, they run out of fuel because navy doesnt have refueling planes. army is just guys runing around in tanks n such. Airforce blows up their bases. Plus, the airforce is hard to hit since they could cover their bases with fighters constantly. marines.. well no match for bombs i guess... Air force is a clear winner.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TitanDiddly
I think the navy with their subs and carriers are least vulnerable.

Agreed.
I voted Navy. And a nuclear sub could possibly even be fitted with areas in which to grow food, using efficient LED lighting. Probably wouldn't be able to grow enough to feed a normal crew though. A sub could conceivably surface when it's safe (has the Navy got military satellite access?) to resupply.

Navy has the long-term survival potential, but the Air Force has the quick-strike capability. They're good for attack, not so much for defense though.

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999
How is the Air Force or Army going to attack Carrier Battle Groups when they are out of range of their fighters? How are they going to defend against invisible subs launching missiles continuously at their bases?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Xenon
How is the Air Force or Army going to attack Carrier Battle Groups when they are out of range of their fighters? How are they going to defend against invisible subs launching missiles continuously at their bases?

In-flight refueling, or use long-range stuff like a heavy bomber (B-52s?) or even maybe SR-71s. Of course, tankers are vulnerable against attack from either missiles or jets (carrier launched).

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Army - 485,500 soldiers on active duty and 591,000 in reserve
USMC - 180,000 active and 40,000 reserve
USAF - over 7,000 aircraft in service and about 358,600 men and women on active duty.
Navy - currently numbers nearly half a million men and women on active or ready reserve duty and consists of 281 ships and over 4,000 operational aircraft.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
You can't occupy land without an army. Plances can only fly over it, and ships can only sail in water. Who is going to own, say, Iowa? You can carpet bomb it to the stone-age (in Iowa's case, about 7 years back) but you still need an occupying force. An A-10 in a field is not an occupying force.

Sad to say it, but you need the Army.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Air Force loses, Army and Navy stalemate.

Army and Navy will both take out Air Force first, because it is what can do the most damage in the shartest period of time. After that's done, the Army will realize the water is over their heads and it's difficult to breath, the Navy will realize that occupying the Land requires more personnel than it has. Both will scratch their heads wondering what to do.

War over! Dancing in the streets.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ta8689
Air force takes out carriers with carpet bombs first to destroy planes and cause havoc, and a second pass with something big to sink it. Now if there are any fighters in the air, they run out of fuel because navy doesnt have refueling planes. army is just guys runing around in tanks n such. Airforce blows up their bases. Plus, the airforce is hard to hit since they could cover their bases with fighters constantly. marines.. well no match for bombs i guess... Air force is a clear winner.

The AF is the weakest in regards to their bases. The AF can not function without major bases. The other branches are all much more independant.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski

Army and Navy will both take out Air Force first, because it is what can do the most damage in the shartest period of time. After that's done, the Army will realize the water is over their heads and it's difficult to breath, the Navy will realize that occupying the Land requires more personnel than it has. Both will scratch their heads wondering what to do.

Finally someone gets it. The Army really can't hurt the Navy. The Navy *can* hurt the army a bit, though they would lose a lot of their recon drones/planes to do so each time.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Finally someone gets it. The Army really can't hurt the Navy. The Navy *can* hurt the army a bit, though they would lose a lot of their recon drones/planes to do so each time.

Well, thank you, but I wasn't the first to post the idea. ;) Posted before reading whole thread.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

Well, thank you, but I wasn't the first to post the idea. ;) Posted before reading whole thread.

Yeah, but you are one of the few to actually get that idea. The people that keep posting that the navy will win (disregarding all disadvantages they have) annoy me.