if the branches of the US military were fighting against one another

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
I am going to say the Navy because the Air Force relies on Carriers and Land too much to be viable enought o take down another branch of the military without going back for supplies even if they have fuel stations in the air. And they are too dependant on the other branches for movement.

The Army has great resources but are too stationed on land and there would be too much in fighting witht he Marines.

The Navy would win out in the end becuase they have land and sea and air offenses, and could attack the land by sea and air. No other branch would be able to attack because they could defend the air from attack and they have submarines for the sea. Then they could slowly encroach inland where the land fighters would have already decimated each other.

But in actuality it would probably be a stalemate between land and sea. Air is lethal but too dependant on landing and resupplying that all it would take is capturing the way stations.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Well it's a war of weapons and ships. In terms of troops themselves - Marines hands down, period, bar none.

Otherwise I'd have to say Army. You guys bring up ships with Navy - why the hell would the Army try to start a water based war? It's going to be all ground/through the air.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DaShen
I am going to say the Navy because the Air Force relies on Carriers and Land too much to be viable enought o take down another branch of the military without going back for supplies even if they have fuel stations in the air. And they are too dependant on the other branches for movement.

The Army has great resources but are too stationed on land and there would be too much in fighting witht he Marines.

The Navy would win out in the end becuase they have land and sea and air offenses, and could attack the land by sea and air. No other branch would be able to attack because they could defend the air from attack and they have submarines for the sea. Then they could slowly encroach inland where the land fighters would have already decimated each other.

But in actuality it would probably be a stalemate between land and sea. Air is lethal but too dependant on landing and resupplying that all it would take is capturing the way stations.

That ignores the fact that the Navy can't occupy any land. Therefore it could never win. Sure, it would kick the ass of all the other branches (especially the AF), but that is all.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

That ignores the fact that the Navy can't occupy any land. Therefore it could never win. Sure, it would kick the ass of all the other branches (especially the AF), but that is all.

Bolded out that statement. The first statement would be after a prolognued war, the Navy would still be in good shape, but the other land based armies would be hurt badly. Even still, you are correct in that it would accomplish nothing. The reason the military branches are seperate is because they accomplish and control very different areas of the military. Stalemate would more than likely be the obvious conclusion to something like this.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Well it's a war of weapons and ships. In terms of troops themselves - Marines hands down, period, bar none.

Otherwise I'd have to say Army. You guys bring up ships with Navy - why the hell would the Army try to start a water based war? It's going to be all ground/through the air.

Air on land would be decimated for the most part because no one power would allow for a station to be set up. Obviously air power is the strongest, but hardest to hold on to.

On the sea that power can be easily contained and used. Because it is hard to get to (the ocean is a big moat), and the landing station is mobile.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

Air on land would be decimated for the most part because no one power would allow for a station to be set up. Obviously air power is the strongest, but hardest to hold on to.

On the sea that power can be easily contained and used. Because it is hard to get to (the ocean is a big moat), and the landing station is mobile.

Um, exactly. Why would the Marines/Army care to try to fight or even use the sea as a tool? They wouldn't because they know they don't have sea superiority.

And why the hell would the Marines fight the Navy? Marines = Branch of the Navy.

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
yeah.. the navy is a good guess - they can camp out at sea beyond ordinary range and live on their intentionally rationed supplies - think about subs that are submerged for a month at a time - that's a lot of time to watch the other guys killing each other. Army and Airforce would cancel each other out pretty quickly, I'm guessing.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Someone needs to bring this idea up to a video game publisher.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
any smart general would simply have occupied defenses on land away from the coasts but able to see any incoming threats. the navy would simply be sitting there, bored. the planes have a relatively short range, so all power can be moved to interior bases.

it would be the air force or the army. the army because i'd say they would call up the national guard as well. if that is not concieved in this poll, thats just dead wrong. the national guard answer to the army and are essentially state militia versions of the army. they answer to, and work under the army. so, with that mass number of troops, they can easily decimate the marines and head towards air bases. cruise missles would be launched the the air force bases have the defenses for that kind of attack. to mount and assault against an air base would take time and can easily be spotted by radar and by the Predator drones. the predator drones can decimate and lower moral of smaller assaults and the larger assaults could be answered with missiles from the air force. the air force would have planes and bombers in the air before the troops can get within artillery distance of the bases. troops would survive but it would take extremely coordinated attacks to even have a slight chance against the air force bases. couple that with the ground infantry (security forces), the bases could be defended. a great moral killer would be the AF's special forces, landing behind the lines, taking out important threats like cruise missile systems. the special forces are too small in number to take on a full army base, so that would be ruled out.

it would simply be a game with many standoffs, with an attack successful against the airforce, with a response equally effective against the army. it would take time and could easily go either way. like i said, the trick is getting the army close enough to the AFB's. Not an easy task, for anything. Paratroopers would likely not get close enough. Under wartime the radar would be too closely monitored and fighters would be deployed to destroy incoming planes and helicopters.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
The Navy would win. They have their own air force and their own army (the marines).

From everything I can find, the USMC is not subordinate to the Navy. In fact, from what I have read they are both under the Department of the Navy, but nothing more.

ValkyrieofHouston

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2005
Navy! Whenever there is trouble the first thing the US does is send carrier battle groups
the navy can get there faster and be ready for combat in days..
the AF needs land NEAR the combat area to fly..
so they either need a freindly country that will allow them to fly..
or we have to capture them a base

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: everman
We're basically looking at navy vs air force imo. Air force would win without nukes. But nuclear subs with a lot of warheads would be king.
A sub will need to surface at some time. :evil:

Missiles can be launched underwater.

First, navy seals would board and take over the larger coast guard ships. Then we'd send aircraft carriers after all those candyass air force planes. Then when we got around to it, we'd lob a few cruise missiles at the army bases, and finish them off with the marines.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
to all the people who keep claiming that the Army or Navy has more planes than the AF, please list where you are getting your numbers for fixed-wing fighter aircrafts? right now, the AF has all the best air interdiction fighters (f-15, f-16, f-22), while the Navy has planes that are limited by carrier requirements. The army has only transports, close-air-support, helicopters. So from the Air, the AF dominates all. Land, is Army, and sea, Navy respectively. no single branch can infringe upon the other.

However, the Navy has amphibious asault groups that have tank, bradleys, APCs, etc.... but i don't think the marines are really called in to hold ground for extended periods, they arre more like a rapid response task group that is always on standbye.

HBalzer

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2005
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
The Navy would win. They have their own air force and their own army (the marines).

From everything I can find, the USMC is not subordinate to the Navy. In fact, from what I have read they are both under the Department of the Navy, but nothing more.

Isn't that enough, the marines do fall under the Navy? The Navy would win no problem. If you believe otherwise you are crazy.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I would like to know the number of troops in each branch. But my gut tells me that although they are not the "sexy" pick, the Army would win.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Navy controls marines.
Navy has aircraft carriers.

So the Navy is the combination of the Army plus Air Force plus big friggin ships and guns.

Navy wins.

FATALITY!