if the branches of the US military were fighting against one another

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
just the three main branches: navy, air force, and army.

who'd win/why?

edit should have made it more clear..the summary says NO NUKES

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
We're basically looking at navy vs air force imo. Air force would win without nukes. But nuclear subs with a lot of warheads would be king.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: everman
We're basically looking at navy vs air force imo. Air force would win without nukes. But nuclear subs with a lot of warheads would be king.
A sub will need to surface at some time. :evil:

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: her209

plus an airforce plane could drop torpedos

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Army. Army over-runs all Air Force bases, and Navy ports. Without airstrips or ports, they ain't going anywhere.

And, there's a lot more bullets, then there are Tomahawk missiles, or Air-to-ground missiles.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Horus
Army. Army over-runs all Air Force bases, and Navy ports. Without airstrips or ports, they ain't going anywhere.

And, there's a lot more bullets, then there are Tomahawk missiles, or Air-to-ground missiles.
There's these things called helicopters... specifically the attacking kind.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Army is like a disorganized bunch of meatheads. They would TRY to overrun the bases. IMHO air force or marines would win.

Aint Ready for the Marines Yet = Army

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: vshah

plus an airforce plane could drop torpedos

I'm not too familiar with how deep you can fire an ICBM, but it IS and an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (fire it from anywhere you want) with multiple nuclear warheads capable of hitting many places with one missile.... So I think they'd still own anything else ;)

And these things don't need to surface until they run out of food, months. unlimited supply of air, water, and power. :D

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I'm not too familiar with how deep you can fire an ICBM, but it IS and an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (fire it from anywhere you want) with multiple nuclear warheads capable of hitting many places with one missile.... So I think they'd still own anything else ;)
The problem is they still need someone to tell them where the targets are.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I dunno, if the air force had full control over all their airfields and plenty of supplies, they have an obvious advantage. In real life, however, the Marines could overrun those bases pretty easily, and then the AF couldn't do jack.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
The problem is they still need someone to tell them where the targets are.

I guess we'd have to establish who owns the intelligence networks, satellites etc. You can't just sent planes out anywhere you want with no direction either.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Who has control of Norad? Barring Norad, if the battle was for the continental US, the Army would win.

First, the Army would take out all the Airforce bases, and the airforce can't launch their planes. The Navy could launch planes from their carriers, who could not only bomb, but also call in Tomahawks from the battleships. But since the Navy wouldn't have troops to conquer the land, they'd basically just be a fly in the ointment. While they would never be defeated, they could never win either. and the Army could take out all the Naval bases anyhow. This leaves the Army on land, and the Navy just floating around off the coasts.

Now if it was a deathmatch, the Army could probably find a way to attack the ships in the harbors better than the Navy could invade the mainland and conquer all the military bases.