If I wanted to leave the US

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: jagec
Based on the things he specifically is talking about, yes. It was a period of grotesque exploitation, rampant bigotry, sexism, elitism, etc. Yet he calls it the ideal time. If your ideal is those things, then it's the worst in human beings.

Having read a history book, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I can think of many, many other periods of time that were far worse.

It's personal opinion of course. Being in school to become a history teacher I too have read a history book. In fact, I've read more than one. The real issue is that our criteria is likely different.

If your primary concern was black rights, you could consider the pre-civil war period as the worst. Then again, you could make an argument for early to mid twentieth century when there was supposed to be rights for blacks, but in fact there wasn't.

If your primary concern was religious intrusion into politics you could very easily focus on the early colonial, and second great awakening - but you could also argue a case for present day.

Personally I'm looking back at business exploitation of workers, class stratification, general human rights, broad bigotry, etc. 1880-1920 stands out in those areas to me. Mind you, I'm also keeping the focus on American history. Obviously I could look to other areas to see far worse examples based on pretty much any criteria (holocaust, inquisition, stalin, various genocides, etc).

It's true, I have a pet peeve about that period. I have issues with other periods too (especially red scare & McCartheism), but this one really gets my goat.

Most of what you mention is recent stuff, though..I was thinking more of the Middle Ages and BCs.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Texas?

edit:

I will read the entire thread before I post.

May 16, 2000
Based on the things he specifically is talking about, yes. It was a period of grotesque exploitation, rampant bigotry, sexism, elitism, etc. Yet he calls it the ideal time. If your ideal is those things, then it's the worst in human beings.

Having read a history book, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I can think of many, many other periods of time that were far worse.

It's personal opinion of course. Being in school to become a history teacher I too have read a history book. In fact, I've read more than one. The real issue is that our criteria is likely different.

If your primary concern was black rights, you could consider the pre-civil war period as the worst. Then again, you could make an argument for early to mid twentieth century when there was supposed to be rights for blacks, but in fact there wasn't.

If your primary concern was religious intrusion into politics you could very easily focus on the early colonial, and second great awakening - but you could also argue a case for present day.

Personally I'm looking back at business exploitation of workers, class stratification, general human rights, broad bigotry, etc. 1880-1920 stands out in those areas to me. Mind you, I'm also keeping the focus on American history. Obviously I could look to other areas to see far worse examples based on pretty much any criteria (holocaust, inquisition, stalin, various genocides, etc).

It's true, I have a pet peeve about that period. I have issues with other periods too (especially red scare & McCartheism), but this one really gets my goat.

Most of what you mention is recent stuff, though..I was thinking more of the Middle Ages and BCs.

Right, like I said I was focusing on America since he specifically commented on early 1900's America. Besides that, there's a big difference between doing bad things when you're fighting to survive, and doing bad things because you want more money to be ultra-materialistic.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Topic Title: If I wanted to leave the US

It says a lot when many more Americans than ever before in it's history are asking this very question.

Jeebus Titty-fvcking Christ :roll:

Panting and sporting wood, I assume?

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Topic Title: If I wanted to leave the US

It says a lot when many more Americans than ever before in it's history are asking this very question.
Yeah, it says the average IQ in this country is gonna go up when these people leave. :laugh:

damocles

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: scott
the most reasonable places would otherwise be Australia or New Zealand, but they won't let you emigrate there.
About the only way round the obstacles is to marry a local.

everman's suggestion about Alaska could make for a challenging 1-year experience, doubt you'd last 2.

Migration to NZ and Aus isn't too difficult if you have desirable skills, qualifications etc.

However, they fail on other of the listed categories.

-Tax is actually quite high in both (particularly in the mid- upper taxation brackets and when you take into account other taxes e.g goods and services tax).
-Both have comprehensive entitlement/welfare programmes
-Both have strong rights, low corruption, etc - not sure how they compare to the US though
-Both are moderately business friendly but suffer a bit from the tyranny of distance (depending on the business)
-language is pretty much restricted to English

Singapore is possibly a better match?

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
BELIZE

* Tax Breaks
* Peaceful Nation
* English Speaking
* Good Educational System
* Sub-tropical climate all year round
* Easy access to land for development and construction for a retirement home
* Close proximity to the US, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean
* Strong stable Belize dollar
* Abundance of natural resources
* Breathtakingly beautiful
* Friendly People

wiki

Edit: I see episodic beat me to it.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Luxemborg. Qualifies on all parts. It's actually kind of a Monaco for regular people, yet still quite rich.
Very business oriented, low taxes, good population that doesn't require wellfare.

The only downsides are no beaches, typical European weather (grim) and high housing prices.