If bruising from an IV is normal, why is this the first time it's happened to me?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Moar crotch:

fap.gif

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It only does that when you have AIDS
AIDS?!! D:

A wasp stung me in the lower leg while I was in the shower a week ago. After a few days the area around the sting looked like a nasty bruise, but it's improving now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I get bruising sometimes when donating blood but it's really hit and miss. Never had it THAT bad though, usually just a circle about the size of a dime.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have an IV scar from age 2. It's hard to shoot up, even for professionals.

have to say that I am only liking this post from ~6 years later, because Brigandier still sports the avatar that I generously recommended to him.

Yankees ballcatch boy will forever live in internet infamy.

Reactions: Ichinisan

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
OP is getting older, veins/tissue not what it once was, expect more batterings down the road.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Depends how skilled/gentle the phlebotomist is.

LOL! On my birthday in 2015 the nurse at my doctor’s office drew blood. Before she started I told her about all the bruising I typically get (mentioned earlier ITT in relation to a tetanus shot). She confidently told me the same thing while asserting she was better than the incompetent people who stuck me before. She got the sample and sent me on my way with assurances that she did it RIGHT.

Well, guess what? Due to it being my birthday, someone there accidentally wrote my birth year on the sample and the lab wouldn’t let them correct it without drawing more blood (some procedural thing). They asked me to come back a few days later... bruised worse than the OP.

“Oh my God! Did I do that?!”

She never would have known if it weren’t for the date error. This tells me that we’ve probably got a lot of over-confident medical techs out there who can’t acknowledge that there might be more to it than skill. ;)

Since the OP is my twin brother, I have to wonder if there is a generic component. We both bruise like that and it definitely seems to happen to us more than most people.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
LOL! On my birthday in 2015 the nurse at my doctor’s office drew blood. Before she started I told her about all the bruising I typically get (mentioned earlier ITT in relation to a tetanus shot). She confidently told me the same thing while asserting she was better than the incompetent people who stuck me before. She got the sample and sent me on my way with assurances that she did it RIGHT.

Well, guess what? Due to it being my birthday, someone there accidentally wrote my birth year on the sample and the lab wouldn’t let them correct it without drawing more blood (some procedural thing). They asked me to come back a few days later... bruised worse than the OP.

“Oh my God! Did I do that?!”

She never would have known if it weren’t for the date error. This tells me that we’ve probably got a lot of over-confident medical techs out there who can’t acknowledge that there might be more to it than skill. ;)

Since the OP is my twin brother, I have to wonder if there is a generic component. We both bruise like that and it definitely seems to happen to us more than most people.

so you get the needle and he gets the bruise?