If bruising from an IV is normal, why is this the first time it's happened to me?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
IMG_1028.jpg

Gross.

I'm pretty sure I've had IV needles in my arm before, but I don't remember bruising. Google tells me it's normal though.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
A bruise from an IV happens when the vein wall bleeds into the dermis and soaks into the epidermis. If this particular IV was with a large needle, or was in for a while, or the tech was just sloppy or new, or shoot - the moon was in retrograde, it can happen. Nothing is wrong. Maybe every time you've had one before was with a good tech with tiny needles, dunno.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
They might have blown the vein, gone right through or had to dig around to find it.

In all cases, it points to a shitty stick

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
That's a bit worse than mine but the first time I had blood drawn, my arm got pretty jacked a day or two later for a couple of days. It got bruised like that and I asked someone at work if it was normal and he's like "oh yeah dude it's fine". The next day it was even worse I was like "dude, this is not good" "naw it's totally normal". I wasn't really buying it but it was normal I guess and soon enough it went away.

Since then I've no had like any bruising at all from getting blood drawn. Also that first time the nurse did it fine. Like there wasn't any poking or any pain it was all smooth.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
How many sticks before they hit? First try?

Yeah.

I remember a docs assistant trying to draw blood many years ago when they missed over and over and over, then gave up and called in a more experienced assistant to do it on my right arm. Maybe there was a bruise then, but I don't remember one.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Been hitting any anticoagulants hard lately?

Well they gave me something that was supposed to counteract nausea (through the IV). I think there might have been something else too (not sure). They also administered some kind of medicated breathing treatment.

They prescribed 4-5 things, but I only picked up the antibiotic (Azithromycin).

Seriously...they were listing what all the meds were for and I was mentally dismissing each one ("Don't need it. Don't need it. Don't need it.").

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
That sort of bruising reminds me of the noobs drawing blood and forgetting to remove the tourniquiet before removing the needle....back pressure and you get a huge bruise.

Poor technique also will do that. But since it was an IV, and it's gone now, either the caustic meds kept the IV site from closing off properly when the IV cannula was removed (and it was just bandaided off, no real pressure applied) or the vein blew out and bled out into your interstitial tissues. Happens, but ugly.

Ought to see how fast an arterial line bruises when its artery leaks/blows out. Now that hurts!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Your arms are ugly.

Thanks. They taped a cotton ball on me after they removed the IV (standard procedure). This time, the tape formed some kind of ultra-bond with my arm hair and I didn't remove it until I had to go back to work today. It was EXTREMELY painful and it left all the nasty adhesive gunk on my arm.

Still there.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Moar crotch:
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

It has been a few days, but it doesn't seem to be going away very quickly...or at all.

On a side-note...how do you guys suggest reducing the "Sasquatch arm" without just removing everything and looking like a little boy?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Hemolysis, brah.

Your arm hair looks normal. It was just the goop that was making your hair clump together before.

Last edited: