Discussion i7-11700K preliminary results

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The 11900K might make sense from a performance perspective to get the healthier silicon for better OCs (potentially), but if it's near $600 then oh wow, that's a tragically bad deal. You can get a 5900X with four more...oh wait. No you can't. The 5000 series doesn't exist anymore. Oh well, $600 it is then I guess.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The 11900K might make sense from a performance perspective to get the healthier silicon for better OCs (potentially), but if it's near $600 then oh wow, that's a tragically bad deal. You can get a 5900X with four more...oh wait. No you can't. The 5000 series doesn't exist anymore. Oh well, $600 it is then I guess.
The 5800X has been in stock at multiple retailers over the last 5 days or so. CPUs like the 5600X were also available, but only for a few hours on the major sites. I imagine in another couple of weeks it won't be that tough to get one as the price scalpers are able to sell them at is falling fast.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
You can get a 5900X with four more...oh wait. No you can't. The 5000 series doesn't exist anymore.
I just got an idea - AMD may have been accumulating 5900X and 5950X over last couple of months and they will release them all at once at the time Rocket comes out, possibly even with a little discount.

BTW I said that intel compared 11900K to 5900X in their presentation, because they wanted to price 11900K as 5900X. You did not believe me.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
The 5800X has been in stock at multiple retailers over the last 5 days or so. CPUs like the 5600X were also available, but only for a few hours on the major sites. I imagine in another couple of weeks it won't be that tough to get one as the price scalpers are able to sell them at is falling fast.

100% agreed.

When I check my local stores now i'm seeing 5600X and 5800X in stock and plenty of them.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Kind of odd that AMD aren't making more of the 59xx CPUs by this point. The chiplets don't seem like they need to be a significantly better bin and there's enough stock of the one chiplet CPUs (well all things considered anyhow) for AMD to change to a larger production of dual-chiplet CPUs for a while.

It isn't as though the profit on the single chiplet CPUs is so much better.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
100% agreed.

When I check my local stores now i'm seeing 5600X and 5800X in stock and plenty of them.
I need a new computer now (mine died a total death) and am not very interested in building. Looking at Dell's website (And their grand total of 6 AMD desktops for home computers), the 5900X is available but the 5800X is nearly a 4 week delay.
HP won't even let you select the 5_00X chips (look at the tech specs links):

So, I wouldn't yet call the 5800X plentiful.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I need a new computer now (mine died a total death) and am not very interested in building. Looking at Dell's website (And their grand total of 6 AMD desktops for home computers), the 5900X is available but the 5800X is nearly a 4 week delay.
When it's easily available at these two places for MSRP (and even free shipping from Newegg), the stock of it is not that bad considering how bad it was after it launched. Maybe a large company like Dell had bigger CPU orders for the AMD CPUs like the 5600x and 5900x.

1.jpg2.jpg

Anyways, that's my last AMD-related post in this thread as not to derail it (I just was responding to the proclamation in post #26).

Reactions: Tlh97 and Makaveli

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
HP won't even let you select the 5_00X chips (look at the tech specs links):

lol are you on the right site?

Who's buys OEM's computers on anandtech and doesn't built their own?

My reference is not for machines built by dell or HP. I'm talking about going into the local store and picking up the cpu.

This is my last post on this aswell we are going off topic this thread is about Rocket Lake.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
lol are you on the right site?

Who's buys OEM's computers on anandtech and doesn't built their own?
Just because I buy OEM doesn't mean I want a crap processor. Too many arguments here are from people having just one viewpoint: (A) the enthusiast trying to eek out the last drop of performance or (B) the billion people who don't. Both groups want good performance. But, the details need to be specified otherwise posts here will be misinterpreted.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Just because I buy OEM doesn't mean I want a crap processor. Too many arguments here are from people having just one viewpoint: (A) the enthusiast trying to eek out the last drop of performance or (B) the billion people who don't. Both groups want good performance. But, the details need to be specified otherwise posts here will be misinterpreted.
Yea, I bought a Powerspec (house brand) from Micorcenter and added a video card that I already was using in a much weaker computer. Very satisfied with it, and the Bios is unlocked, in contrast to some OEM machines. Each to his own. If someone doesnt want to build their own, I dont know why some posters want to try to denigrate them.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Ok which is fine but my example is for someone just looking to build there own.

I never buy OEM machines so YMMV going that route.

Yea, I bought a Powerspec (house brand) from Micorcenter and added a video card that I already was using in a much weaker computer. Very satisfied with it, and the Bios is unlocked, in contrast to some OEM machines. Each to his own. If someone doesnt want to build their own, I dont know why some posters want to try to denigrate them.

Not trying to denigrate but you have to look at the crowd on this site. I've been on this site for the better part of 20 years now and the majority build their own machines. That's why it was a surprise to me when someone starts talking about OEM computers.

But lets stick to the topic.

Reactions: spursindonesia

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Reactions: lightmanek

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I remember getting OEM machines with those naked, green motherboards and tin can looking PSUs. The sticker on the case was all I cared about: 466Mhz! Regarding the 11 series pricing, I'm thinking they might not be able to get away with too much because right now the 5800X is actually in stock at Newegg for $450. By the end of next month I'd expect supply to only get better, so the 11 series will have to contend with the 5800X. The 5800X already has the label of being the fastest 8 core on the market, so prices are always high at the top. Anything in the 11 series performing at 5800X levels will cost as much or more. If the 11900K is reasonably faster, then it will cost a LOT more, naturally.
The point is this: who cares? I still think most people will just buy a 10700K or Ryzen 3000 series if they need a new CPU. It's half the price of these newer ones and they aren't fast enough to justify paying TWICE the money. Twice the price for same number of cores and similar performance. Faster yeah, but it's still similar performance. If people argued for AMD being the better value in the past because the performance was almost as good but price was way better, then that argument holds true now for the 5800X and the 11 series. TOO EXPENSIVE. Knock it off. It's too much. 8 cores are common now in the market at low prices. $450-600 is stoopid.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I remember getting OEM machines with those naked, green motherboards and tin can looking PSUs. The sticker on the case was all I cared about: 466Mhz! Regarding the 11 series pricing, I'm thinking they might not be able to get away with too much because right now the 5800X is actually in stock at Newegg for $450. By the end of next month I'd expect supply to only get better, so the 11 series will have to contend with the 5800X. The 5800X already has the label of being the fastest 8 core on the market, so prices are always high at the top. Anything in the 11 series performing at 5800X levels will cost as much or more. If the 11900K is reasonably faster, then it will cost a LOT more, naturally.
The point is this: who cares? I still think most people will just buy a 10700K or Ryzen 3000 series if they need a new CPU. It's half the price of these newer ones and they aren't fast enough to justify paying TWICE the money. Twice the price for same number of cores and similar performance. Faster yeah, but it's still similar performance. If people argued for AMD being the better value in the past because the performance was almost as good but price was way better, then that argument holds true now for the 5800X and the 11 series. TOO EXPENSIVE. Knock it off. It's too much. 8 cores are common now in the market at low prices. $450-600 is stoopid.

For the moment we only have mindfactory prices that is selling them at scalper levels because they are selling well before intel's embargo.
Let's see where the real prices will land and if supply will be good enough to not have issues with actual scalpers.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Mindfactory is really geared towards AMD sales. Heck, even if you click on CPUs, you get two big clickable links at the top to choose from (A) AMD or (B) Gigabyte:
Intel chips are an afterthought for Mindfactory. So, I'm hopeful that retail prices are better elsewhere. But, that hope is fading.

View attachment 40437
Dude, you're embarrassing yourself. The first thing you've highlighted is the part of a clickable banner, introducing rebate actions, which is constantly changing between 5 different versions. I live here in Germany and if you click on Hardware -> CPUs, it definitely shows AMD and Intel and I have no idea how you produced that bug, but it also holds no significance, as the people who actually _can_ buy hardware off of this website are German people and they see the correct banner. So NO, it's not geared towards AMD.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Dude, you're embarrassing yourself. The first thing you've highlighted is the part of a clickable banner, introducing rebate actions, which is constantly changing between 5 different versions. I live here in Germany and if you click on Hardware -> CPUs, it definitely shows AMD and Intel and I have no idea how you produced that bug, but it also holds no significance, as the people who actually _can_ buy hardware off of this website are German people and they see the correct banner. So NO, it's not geared towards AMD.
There are constantly articles about how amd outsells intel and they are all exclusively about mindfactory, so it's pretty fair to say that they are geared towards selling amd.

Reactions: Dave2150

pj-

May 5, 2015
There are constantly articles about how amd outsells intel and they are all exclusively about mindfactory, so it's pretty fair to say that they are geared towards selling amd.

Isn't that just because they're one of the only places that publishes their sales data?

Look at that, 4/5 top selling CPUs are AMD. Amazon must be GEARED towards selling AMD

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Isn't that just because they're one of the only places that publishes their sales data?
(1) Yes, they are one of the only places that publishes sales data.
(2) But, they also have consistently good AMD prices and consistently bad Intel prices over time. Yes, occasional sales in Intel prices are okay. But I'm talking about long term trends.

Those are not mutually exclusive points.

I posted better intel prices in Germany at other German sites a few posts above. I'll use the same sites for AMD chips. Here are current AMD 5800X prices with Mindfactory significantly cheaper:
How about one of Mindfactory's best sellers, the 3600 with Mindfactory significantly cheaper:
Could keep going on and on, day after day, but I doubt people will believe actual links with actual prices here because they often have ulterior motives.

Last edited:
  • Haha

pj-

May 5, 2015
(1) Yes, they are one of the only places that publishes sales data.
(2) But, they also have consistently good AMD prices and consistently bad Intel prices over time. Yes, occasional sales in Intel prices are okay. But I'm talking about long term trends.

Those are not mutually exclusive points.

I posted better intel prices in Germany at other German sites a few posts above. I'll use the same sites for AMD chips. Here are current AMD 5800X prices with Mindfactory significantly cheaper:
How about one of Mindfactory's best sellers, the 3600 with Mindfactory significantly cheaper:
Could keep going on and on, day after day, but I doubt people will believe actual links with actual prices here because they often have ulterior motives.

You keep talking about long term trends but then give current prices..

Do you have any links that demonstrate these long term trends or are we to take your word for it?

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011

The thing most people forget when talking about price is the competition in the bracket. And the fact people want 5700X CPU's at 3700X prices.

For the money, a 5800X is better than a 10900K and X570 is a better platform.

Zen2 is the budget option right now because Zen3 does not have the lower end parts out.

Intel Z490 1200 boards are overpriced compared to a decent B550 board or budget X570, and IMO, an inferior platform.

Better off skipping a K series 1200 Z490 setup and get a 10700 and budget board.

11900K and siblings is the new 5775C, Intel got to release something to put in the investor notes during a quarterly update.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You keep talking about long term trends but then give current prices..

Do you have any links that demonstrate these long term trends or are we to take your word for it?
You'll have to take my word for it. I've been following prices for years. Of course, you won't take my word for it and you won't take current prices either. That is your choice to ignore facts. Could you please tell me why you are unhappy with this data (not why you are unhappy with the messenger)? Do you want to join me in making a thread that tracks the prices over time?

Mindfactory sells lots of AMD chips, they buy in larger bulk prices, and get better deals. That is not true of Intel chips. Mindfactory buys and sells small quantities of Intel chips and does not get as good of bulk pricing.

• Haha

pj-

May 5, 2015
You'll have to take my word for it. I've been following prices for years. Of course, you won't take my word for it and you won't take current prices either. That is your choice to ignore facts. Could you please tell me why you are unhappy with this data (not why you are unhappy with the messenger)? Do you want to join me in making a thread that tracks the prices over time?

Mindfactory sells lots of AMD chips, they buy in larger bulk prices, and get better deals. That is not true of Intel chips. Mindfactory buys and sells small quantities of Intel chips and does not get as good of bulk pricing.

Ok, I don't have any evidence you're lying or would lie, so I will take your word for it.

Here's a chart of their sales from a couple years ago:
CPU-Sales-Mindfactory.jpg

Since I believe your claim that it's a historical trend, we can assume their intel prices were also bad in 2017/2018. Despite mindfactory's extortionate intel pricing, people didn't seem to mind shopping there when intel's products were more attractive.

You could certainly say that german/euro specific figures aren't directly applicable globally, but I don't think it's valid to use pricing as a reason to discount the accuracy of their data for the local market.