I think it's absurd that people think Iraq=Vietnam

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
I just don't see how people can see how Iraq=vietnam..... 57,000 deaths in vietnam, 3,000 deaths in Iraq, there is no way in hell that is the same.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
And if they were arguing that Iraq and Vietnam are the same BECAUSE of the deaths involved, you might have a point. Since no one is making that argument, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
People wouldn't be calling it vietnam I assure you if there weren't people dying everyday. Also another term I find extremely funny is 'illegal war'. :laugh:

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: goku
People wouldn't be calling it vietnam I assure you if there weren't people dying everyday. Also another term I find extremely funny is 'illegal war'. :laugh:

duh.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

I find it saddening that you :laugh: at the deaths of innocent people

Enjoy your Karma

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
I wonder what the death figures look like when you consider them proportionally to the amount of people we are fighting against.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Soviets only lost 15K soldiers and Afghanistan compared to 65K the US lost in VietNam. Yet the two conflicts are very often compared, and rightly so.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan

I find it saddening that you :laugh: at the deaths of innocent people

Enjoy your Karma

I'm laughing at the phrase 'illegal war' you artard.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
You are right----Vietnam does not equal Iraq----but the rethoric is very similar---the justifications are similar---and the rate of progress is similar---and the clueless leaders we
have are so similar they are almost interchangeable.

I think the main difference will prove to be the stakes in getting out---in Vietnam we simply said yipee we won when we lost---and sailed home with no lasting world consequences.

Iraq is unlikely to be as easy.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
there's more to the comparison than the simple death count?
And what exactly is that comparison? The fact that the left is against the war? The fact that we have some crazy anti-war protesters? Or the fact that John Kerry is accusing American soldiers of awful acts?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
And what exactly is that comparison? The fact that the left is against the war? The fact that we have some crazy anti-war protesters? Or the fact that John Kerry is accusing American soldiers of awful acts?

Maybe the fact that there has been no progress in the last three years?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

they're both wars that we got into for shoddy reasons and no exit strategy?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
we have better armor now...

number of injured in Iraq vs vietnam plzz , statistics needed

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
I think it's much more, The Soviet Union v. Afghanistan. The outcome there was lovely for the Soviets, just lovely.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Zorba
Maybe the fact that there has been no progress in the last three years?
Actually, there has been a lot of progress in three years.
Three sucessful elections being the best example.
The set up of a Democratic government is second.
Most of Iraq is peaceful and their economy is starting to move foward.

Now the bad.
The level of violence in a few areas of the country is still way to high.

The sad thing is that all we see is coverage of the violence and nothing else. I am amazed that after reading story after story by people who have talked to soldiers after they return from Iraq and almost ALL of them say that what we see on TV is not what they saw in Iraq.

Think of it this way. If all we thought of Israel was the violence we see on TV we would have a very slanted view of the country. Same with France and all its recent violence and cars burning in the streets (hundreds of cars burnt in the past few weeks I believe)
But we know and accept the idea that what we see on TV reports of Israel and France are only a small part of what is going on in those countries.
The violence we see in Iraq is certainly a problem, but it is not the total picture. I have way more confidence in Bush and company looking at what is going on IRaq and making the right decisions than I do some reporter for the New York Times or the New Yorker.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Do you think the last election was successful? Sadr GOT THE GUY ELECTED so he could run his shiite death squads and then evict us whenever they wanted to.. NOT successful unless you LIKE Civil War?

Iraq is now a giant piece of ****** .. far worse than it was under Saddam.. but looking at everything else mr boosh has touched I can see how one could consider this a success

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
I just don't see how people can see how Iraq=vietnam..... 57,000 deaths in vietnam, 3,000 deaths in Iraq, there is no way in hell that is the same.

Since you're focusing on death counts alone...

let's look at the death count during the first 3 years of Vietnam compared to Iraq ;)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Donny, a fair comparision would be the first three years after the number of Americans reached 150,000+
You know as well as I do that in the first few years there were very few Americans in Nam. Hence the low death counts.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
What happens when the Iraqi population turns on the U.S? So far they have not put up a resistance that much (even from the start).

This is of course assuming they will eventully get tired of us.
Anyone think it will happen? not happen?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
When exactly did Vietnam start?----in 1946?--when it was partitioned--during the days of Ike?---in 1961?--when Kennedy put a few personnel in to help train the Vietnamese troops?
Or when LBJ escalated in a big way?

When did Iraq start?---when Reagan got this brainfart to support Saddam--and send Rummy to help Saddam buy WMD?---or when Saddam invaded Iran with US help? Or when GHB
kicked Saddam out of Kuwait?---or when Repubs started believing Chalibi and henchmen like screwball and curve ball--or just when GWB decided to commit ground troops?

Well, at least Vietnam is over---and the final US only butcher bill is more like 58,000--------Iraq is far from over----but the US only butcher bill could well exceed that of Vietnam in any one of a number of worse case scenario's.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Of all the right-wing misleading on Iraq, one of the worst:

Most of Iraq is peaceful...

You know, the American Civil War was a big nothing. Most of the US, states from North Dakota to Rhode Island to California, were at peace.

How absurd to be an apologist for the war that way, minimizing the situation. A thousand people a week killed, reportedly; over 10,000 a week proportional to the US population.

Imagine the US having more casualties than in Viet Nam, in six weeks.