I shot a gun for the first time in my life last weekend

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: 3NF
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Darwin333

Maybe playing WOW has robbed you of your sense of reality. Think, before coming to conclusion.

There is no deeper issue - I don't drink, boob.

Intolerant? I don't care if you pussies own guns or not, but to say that you have them to be prepared is just too funny. But I guess it just depends on where you live and I'm pretty certain that it will never be needed in my home.

Whats funny about it? I have already given a real life example of my weapons not only protecting myself but protecting neighbors who refused to "prepare" like you.

I guess I'm lucky. There is nothing to "prepare" for here - get out Dodge.

so there's absolutely, 0% chance that someone could rob you or harm you?

Are you the guy that lives at home with his parents?

When you leave home and enter the real world and stop leeching off your parents, you'll see that 0% and 100% is not reality. Sure, there is chance, but I live by the 80/20 rule. I'd rather spend 20% of my time, focusing on the things that will happen 80% of the time, leaving 80% of my time to do what I want. You people got it backwards. You'll spend 80% of your time worrying about things that happen less then 20% of the time.

So yes, there is a chance, but I'm not going to arm myself to protect myself from something that is very unlikely to happen. And even if I did arm myself, it doesn't mean I would come away unscathed.

yes, i live with my parents, what the hell does that have to do with anything you are talking about? i don't leech off of them, btw...they provide me with a room to stay in, that is it.

oh, and if you want to talk statistics, let's look at some....

From the Bureau of Justice:
"In 2005, U.S. residents age 12 or older experienced approximately 23 million crimes, according to findings from the National Crime Victimization Survey. "

If I did my math right, thats 63,013 crimes committed per day, 2625 crimes committed per hour, 43 crimes committed per minute - and this is just reported crimes in the US.

I don't live my life in fear or spend 80% of my time worrying about what might happen. I purchased most of my guns as a hobby, just like video games, playing an instrument, or watching movies. I like that my hobby also gives me the ability to protect myself or my family. Can't say as much for most other hobbies. My gun is there in case something happens, not waiting for something to happen.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: rh71
how different is the feel from shooting a paintball gun ?

It's similar to the difference between playing a "Crusin USA" arcade game and actually driving a real car.

3NF

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Triumph

Maybe playing WOW has robbed you of your sense of reality. Think, before coming to conclusion.

Intolerant? I don't care if you pussies own guns or not, but to say that you have them to be prepared is just too funny. But I guess it just depends on where you live and I'm pretty certain that it will never be needed in my home.

Whats funny about it? I have already given a real life example of my weapons not only protecting myself but protecting neighbors who refused to "prepare" like you.

You know, after World War 1, many Europeans joined the pacifist movement, people who thought that the atrocities of the conflict were so devastating, cruel, and inhumane, that warfare would never be seen again. Look how well that turned out. Your problem is that you believe "it can't happen to me," which shows complete ignorance of history.

As long as militaries exist, warfare is a possibility.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Some of the replies in here are a real eye opener to me:Q I can't believe some of you guys have never shot a gun

Being a 50 yr old Texan growing up with guns was a way of life for me. Have no idea how old I was when I first shot a gun, but I do remember the first time I shot a high powered rifle. I was six when after much begging my dad let me shoot his 30-06, and it knocked my flat on my ass:laugh: I got my first gun(shotgun) for christmas when I was 8 and bought my first rifle with my own money from the Sears catalog when I was 11.

Time doesn't allow me to do hardly any hunting or sport shooting these days, but I can't imagine having grown up without guns around.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

What state are you in 3NF? Other than denial.

Every part of the country is prone to some natural disaster, be it, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, blizzards. GO ahead and think you are safe where ever you are. When TSHF the only one I'm protecting is me and my immediate family. I am not going to waste my time and materials on someone that thoguht like 3NF and didn't want to be ready for anything. One of my best friends of 17 years thinks like you. Guess what, even though he's my friend, if something happens he's on his own.

I'll be the guy that gets up and actually tries to help EVERYONE, not just my family, through the situation, not the pussy hiding in his home behind a gun.

Now thats actually quite funny.

How do you plan to retain enough supplies to help everyone, much less your family? The answer is you won't. Just pray that they don't decide to hurt you or your family as they "relieve" you of your food, water and whatever else they feel like taking.

However, please don't deviate from your current line of thinking. As long as there are people like you then there will be enough targets for the bad guys that they won't consider confronting those of us who are prepared. Call it a pipe dream or an impossibility if thats what makes you sleep better at night. I thought it would never happen either. I was wrong but luckily I was prepared anyway.

I guess protecting my home and the homes of my neighbors makes me a "pussy" hiding behind a gun versus those non-pussy people a few blocks over who went without potable water until the government was able to provide for them.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
I was six when after much begging my dad let me shoot his 30-06, and it knocked my flat on my ass:laugh:

That reminds me of a story from my youth. My grandpa was a farmer in Missouri and he had dozens of guns. I loved shooting his guns at the farm because I couldn't shoot much, if at all, at home. He had a single shot .50 cal that he used for hunting real big game (elk or something). He tried telling me to lay down first and how to hold it properly but I was a bad ass 12 year old city boy. I didn't even pull the darn thing tight to my shoulder. Needless to say him and his buddy had a good laugh as I tried to pick myself up off the ground. You shoulda seen the size of the bruise that thing left.

Ahh, the good ole days.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Updated

***UPDATE 08/13/07***
I took the girlfriend to the range with me on Saturday morning. I don't remember what type of gun they gave her to shoot. It was her first time shooting and my second time. They gave her a small revolver; it looked and shot like a cap gun. I practiced with a glock 45. My aim and accuracy is horrible, in fact, my gf shot better than I did. Like I said before, this was my second time shooting, and it was just as much fun as it was the first time. Also, as I previously mentioned in this thread, the gf is very anti gun, but she comprised with me and agreed to come with me and shoot. I was very happy about that.

Now, lately, I really do want to purchase a gun. Renting guns and equipment is expensive. I blew almost $100 on Saturday and about $75 the time before. It won't happen though. Some of you may call me whipped, but it's just not something that can be compromised on if one of the people in the party is uncomfortable with it. Maybe in the future though, she may ease up about the idea as she did with coming to the range and shooting.

What, does she think they're going to randomly fire on their own or something? :confused:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Updated

***UPDATE 08/13/07***
I took the girlfriend to the range with me on Saturday morning. I don't remember what type of gun they gave her to shoot. It was her first time shooting and my second time. They gave her a small revolver; it looked and shot like a cap gun. I practiced with a glock 45. My aim and accuracy is horrible, in fact, my gf shot better than I did. Like I said before, this was my second time shooting, and it was just as much fun as it was the first time. Also, as I previously mentioned in this thread, the gf is very anti gun, but she comprised with me and agreed to come with me and shoot. I was very happy about that.

Now, lately, I really do want to purchase a gun. Renting guns and equipment is expensive. I blew almost $100 on Saturday and about $75 the time before. It won't happen though. Some of you may call me whipped, but it's just not something that can be compromised on if one of the people in the party is uncomfortable with it. Maybe in the future though, she may ease up about the idea as she did with coming to the range and shooting.

What, does she think they're going to randomly fire on their own or something? :confused:

You should point out to her that you spent several hours around dozens of guns and no one got shot.

I do have a friend that insists on wearing his IVA body armor to the range every time though. :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I went to a shooting range with a few buddies last weekend and we shot a few handguns. This was my first time picking up a gun. Wow, thats all I have to say. It was such an exhilarating experience. I started off with a small revolver (don't know what kind). Then I worked my way up to a Beretta 9mm, and then I shot my buddy's glock 45. I want to go back ASAP and shoot some more.

My gf, as anti-gun as she is, didnt have a problem with me going, just as long as I never consider owning one.

***UPDATE 08/13/07***

they probably gave her a .22, although, I'm not sure they make short barrelled .22 revolvers? Maybe a .38 special or something?

so how did she react to it? does she still feel the same way about guns?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Topic Title: I shot a gun for the first time in my life last weekend
Topic Summary: wow ***UPDATE***I took the girlfriend to the shooting range with me on Saturday morning

Good, now you two are set for Revolution II.

Which side do you choose?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
I went to a shooting range with a few buddies last weekend and we shot a few handguns. This was my first time picking up a gun. Wow, thats all I have to say. It was such an exhilarating experience. I started off with a small revolver (don't know what kind). Then I worked my way up to a Beretta 9mm, and then I shot my buddy's glock 45. I want to go back ASAP and shoot some more.

My gf, as anti-gun as she is, didnt have a problem with me going, just as long as I never consider owning one.

***UPDATE 08/13/07***

they probably gave her a .22, although, I'm not sure they make short barrelled .22 revolvers? Maybe a .38 special or something?

so how did she react to it? does she still feel the same way about guns?

The first gun I've shot was a Taurus 38. She was a little nervous at first. When we entered the range with our ear and eye pieces on, there was a gun in there shooting and the loud sound of the shot startled her; I dont she expected it. The sound of my glock 45 made her jump a few times as well. Overall, she got the hang of things pretty easily. I showed how how to load and empty and reload. Her accuracy was pretty good. I went through 100 rounds, and she went through only 50 rounds. I asked her if she wanted to uy another 50ct box to shoot, and she said no. I think she got bored wit her capgun, hell, I would too. Since it gets kind of expensive if you don't own your own gun or equipment, It might be a while before we go again; but next time, I'd like her to shoot a Beretta or a Sig.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

***UPDATE 08/13/07***

There's nothing wrong with not owning a gun because of your fiance, if it's not THAT important to you and if this is one of few issues that you have between you, then fine. I mean, everyone has differences with their spouses. But if you definitely want to get a firearm, it's something that you're going to have to work out. You're going to have to spend money on security products - trigger guards and a safe. And please, PLEASE, if you ever have a kid, don't put the weapon on some pillar of unobtainability that the kid can never ever touch. That is the worst thing that you can ever do, it only incites more curiosity. Have a plan for training your child at an early age to handle firearms safely and to respect them. All these people complain about their children going into their parent's bedrooms and playing with the firearm while the parent isn't at home. Well hello, everyone knows that kids want exactly what they can't have, so you're not doing them any favors by hiding it from them.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I imagine shooting ranges rent gun lockers no? You could just buy a gun and leave it at the range. Assuming she is agreeable to that. I think she is more concerned about that gun being in your home rather than you going to shoot at the range.