Question I need to replace a broken part

jeyjey

Jun 7, 2019
I have a Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD. I need to read inside it. It presents a broken part, with a bubble on it. Something was wrong with electricity, this is a simple part that I could try to replace with a little soldier. But I need a replacement part. Please help.

Attachments

• 840EVO_1.jpg
    840EVO_1.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 840EVO_2.jpg
    840EVO_2.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 22

jeyjey

Jun 7, 2019
Many thanks, Could you suggest me what to do? I noticed, in a similar schema, that this drive has a version without this part. I could detach and try to start it.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Many thanks, Could you suggest me what to do? I noticed, in a similar schema, that this drive has a version without this part. I could detach and try to start it.
buy the same drive and take what you can from the first drive and put it on the second. If it doesnt work put it back.

Reactions: aigomorla

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I have a Samsung 840EVO 500GB SSD. I need to read inside it. It presents a broken part, with a bubble on it. Something was wrong with electricity, this is a simple part that I could try to replace with a little soldier. But I need a replacement part. Please help.

That chip is a Samsung-specific DC-DC converter. You'll have a very difficult time finding a replacement, if that's possible at all.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You need a doner drive.
Look on ebay for a used a 840.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-84...:GI8AAOSwluRbR3jN:sc:USPSPriority!90036!US!-1

Going from these pictures, you can probably use a 120GB to save you money.
controller.jpg

Then you need to desolder that chip and resolder it onto the broken drive.

However that might not fix the problem. It could of burn out in other places and you be risking bricking the 120gb.
Luckily its only a 25 dollars.
Depending on how good your solder skills are its quite a tricky solder job honestly with all those resistors.
I don't know if i personally would be comfortable attempting it.

You may want to call around repair shops and see if they will attempt a solder repair if your not the best with a solder.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You need a doner drive.
Look on ebay for a used a 840.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-84...:GI8AAOSwluRbR3jN:sc:USPSPriority!90036!US!-1

Going from these pictures, you can probably use a 120GB to save you money.
controller.jpg

Then you need to desolder that chip and resolder it onto the broken drive.

However that might not fix the problem. It could of burn out in other places and you be risking bricking the 120gb.
Luckily its only a 25 dollars.
Depending on how good your solder skills are its quite a tricky solder job honestly with all those resistors.
I don't know if i personally would be comfortable attempting it.

You may want to call around repair shops and see if they will attempt a solder repair if your not the best with a solder.

feel like OP will never return. But hey i didnt even look at the 120gb version good point if it has the same parts even less risk.