I got my Anova today!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I made this.

20100413-Sous-vide-chicken%20-%203.jpg

Sous vide chicken with sun dried tomato vinaigrette

I made a few changes to the vinaigrette, and increased the temp to 150 F because of time.

I also did brussel sprouts sous vide with garlic and a bit of olive oil and salt, which I finished in the oven by roasting briefly.

Everything came out perfectly.

I'm sold.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Looks incredibly gourmet.
So the sous vide makes it more tender since the vacuum sealed bag is holding all the juices in while it's slowly cooked?

Last edited:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Looks incredibly gourmet.
So the sous vide makes it more tender since the vacuum sealed bag is holding it all in while it's slowly cooked?
No. The sous vide makes it more tender because it doesn't overcook the meat. The tenderness vs temp graph is like a bell curve, with maximal tenderness around 140 F for white chicken meat.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
That looks good. I got mine too but I haven't messed with it.

Can I just cook the vacuumed sealed chicken breast from Costco and then add salt and pepper once cooked? Or is adding it before and vacuum sealing really important?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Can I just cook the vacuumed sealed chicken breast from Costco and then add salt and pepper once cooked? Or is adding it before and vacuum sealing really important?
If you are planning to eat it right after you cook it, you can season it prior to SV. If you are planning to store it before eating it (frozen or refrigerated), you should season it when it is ready to be served.

When salt sits inside meat for a while, it basically cures it. Not that I know how cured chicken breast tastes like.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Congrats! So taste & texture-wise, how does it compare to other methods of cooking chicken?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Also how does it compare to other sous vide systems? I already have a Foodsaver vacuum sealer...this looks neat!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Default I got my Anova today!

And now that I'm stuck on researching sous vide, what made you chose the Anova over the Sansaire and Nomiku? I remember seeing these on Kickstarter awhile back, didn't realize they were all available now! Interesting post here comparing it to the Sous Vide Demi appliance:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145431-anova-sous-vide-circulator-part-1/?p=1928962

I am not yet ready to give up my Demi but I am much more aware of its limitations now -- no circulation, occupies a lot of precious counter space, is definitely a one trick pony and..... Sheesh what am I saying?

Edit: Found a good shootout of the Anova vs. Sansaire vs. Nomiku here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

I'd be curious to try out ribs with this cooking method, I bet they'd fall right off the bone :awe:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If you are planning to eat it right after you cook it, you can season it prior to SV. If you are planning to store it before eating it (frozen or refrigerated), you should season it when it is ready to be served.

When salt sits inside meat for a while, it basically cures it. Not that I know how cured chicken breast tastes like.

So it's like any other cooking method. Which sous vide machine do you have?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
And he should ask for referral bonus since he already sold two. I wouldn't have bought one if not for his post.

The two should split the referral bonus if I end up getting one (likely) since I was only SOMEWHAT convinced by one post. But TWO posts, that's more than enough.

Reactions: shortylickens