I got my Anova today!

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Im confused why you like the meat next to the bone well done on a primal cut. You can get char on the bone and meat and still have med rare. Just crank your heat.
You ever had smoked beef back ribs? You can't get that at a fancy steak restaurant. So my guess is no.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I dont even go to fancy steak houses any more. Mine are better except for maybe 6 steak houses in the country.

And thats only because of the reductions.

*and white truffels

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
what is perfect?

That's different for everyone. I like my steak med-rare but I like the meat around the bones extremely well done. The only way I can get that is by separating and cooking the steak and smoking the bones.

Everyone has their preferences. Mine are kinda quirky - I prefer a plate I can eat clean; I like stuff like boneless, skinless chicken breasts & NY strip steaks. No bones, no cartilage, eat everything presented. I don't mind stuff like wings once in awhile, but I like the convenience of 100% edible food.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
of course. But thats not a primal cut. We were talking about bone in primal cuts.
I'm confused by your use of "primal cut." Beef back ribs is what you get when you separate the bone-in ribeye into boneless and the bone. Something tells me you never had smoked beef back ribs.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I dont even go to fancy steak houses any more. Mine are better except for maybe 6 steak houses in the country.

And thats only because of the reductions.

*and white truffels

Same. I've pretty much been disappointed with every single steak I've had at restaurants since I mastered doing it with my Anova. I don't bother ordering it out anymore (look at me all faaaaaaaancy lol). Once you crack the code of doing something at home, paying 3x to 10x more for a lesser-quality product just isn't as enjoyable.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I'm confused by your use of "primal cut." Beef back ribs is what you get when you separate the bone-in ribeye into boneless and the bone. Something tells me you never had smoked beef back ribs.

Why would you think I've never had beef back ribs? Like I eat all kinds of meat. I don't discriminate. Try wasabi mashed potatoes with your ribs. Along with a big syrah.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Same. I've pretty much been disappointed with every single steak I've had at restaurants since I mastered doing it with my Anova. I don't bother ordering it out anymore (look at me all faaaaaaaancy lol). Once you crack the code of doing something at home, paying 3x to 10x more for a lesser-quality product just isn't as enjoyable.

Now you gotta spend 3x as much on meat and you are good to go ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Why would you think I've never had beef back ribs? Like I eat all kinds of meat. I don't discriminate. Try wasabi mashed potatoes with your ribs. Along with a big syrah.
I asked you if you ever had smoked beef back ribs. You said,
of course. But thats not a primal cut. We were talking about bone in primal cuts.
So I asked, what do you consider "primal cut?" and you said,
primal cut is the strip, filet and ribeye for practical usage.
Well, beef back ribs is the bones from bone-in ribeye. That's the leftover bones when you separate the bone-in ribeye into boneless. So I'm confused and makes me question your experience. Nothing personal.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I asked you if you ever had smoked beef back ribs. You said,

So I asked, what do you consider "primal cut?" and you said,

Well, beef back ribs is the bones from bone-in ribeye. That's the leftover bones when you separate the bone-in ribeye into boneless. So I'm confused and makes me question your experience. Nothing personal.

Its above the ribeye. Its on the other side of the bone. Imagine a side of cow. The strip moves into the ribeye and the filet is on the opposite side of the strip. Beef back ribs are beef ahh i see. This cut is the rib cap with the bone still attached.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I dont personally eat the cap alone. I think its too marbled for that. I can see why you like this part more well done.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Now you gotta spend 3x as much on meat and you are good to go ;)

Nah, like I said earlier, I think my tastebuds max out at like $20 lol. It's like hi-fi...I do not own audiophile-capable ears :D

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I dont personally eat the cap alone. I think its too marbled for that. I can see why you like this part more well done.
There's usually almost no meat on top of beef back ribs. Why? Because the butchers will trim the meat as close to the bones as possible since the meat is the valuable ribeye. So what you have left is pretty much the bones only with almost no meat on the top of the bones. In the BBQ world, this kind of bone is called "shiners." But not all is lost because while beef back ribs have virtually no meat on top, there's still meat between each bones. But the meat between the bones is very tough unlike the meat at the top. So you have to either braise or smoke it to make tender. The smoked dino ribs you see pictures of people eating are not beef back ribs. The dino rib pictures are of smoked beef short ribs. Not the same thing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
There's usually almost no meat on top of beef back ribs. Why? Because the butchers will trim the meat as close to the bones as possible since the meat is the valuable ribeye. So what you have left is pretty much the bones only with almost no meat on the top of the bones. In the BBQ world, this kind of bone is called "shiners." But not all is lost because while beef back ribs have virtually no meat on top, there's still meat between each bones. But the meat between the bones is very tough unlike the meat at the top. So you have to either braise or smoke it to make tender. The smoked dino ribs you see pictures of people eating are not beef back ribs. The dino rib pictures are of smoked beef short ribs. Not the same thing.

Yeah I assumed you were talking short ribs or something. too many names for all this shit.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I like to buy primal bone-in ribeye and break it down myself. It's cheaper and this way I also control the amount of meat I leave on the back ribs. I purposely leave more meat on the back ribs than what you find in the stores. Then I cut the boneless ribeye into two sections. One whole section to cook as prime rib and the other section, I slice into ribeye steaks.

But I don't eat ribeye that often now. It's boring, and I find cheaper cuts more interesting. My favorite cut is top sirloin cap. It's only slightly more expensive than something like chuck roast yet can taste good as ribeye cap if you cook it right.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
step into my world and you will hear ;)

I downgraded from my Headamp & 650 to plain old 280's haha. In my view, audio stuff comes in crappy, decent, good, and hi-end flavors. Good is more or less equal to hi-end for me. Like, I've got ProMedia 2.1's on my TV as an upgrade over the flat-screen's speakers, and they are good (enough) for me.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
$50 off Mellow using MELLOW50 coupon code

Still considering ordering a second one for veggies. Just wish they weren't so dang expensive! Most of my dinners right now are:

1. Sous vide meat
2. Sous vide root/stem veggie
3. Instant Pot veggie (ex. broccoli or corn on the cob)
4. Typically, no-knead bread (rolls, loaves, etc.)

I still do pizza night at least once a week (typically either Serious Eat's no-knead pan pizza, or else their food processor NY-style pizza dough), but it's getting so easy to get really great full meals done consistently now, that I think saving up for a second Mellow would be worth it thanks to the chiller & remote scheduling features.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Z7YnsNm.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
For anyone here who's Sous Vide eggs. A few days ago I tried making some soft boiled. I followed the directions in my Anova app, they came out way more on the poached side, not bad at all just not what I wanted to make. So I Googled and found a bunch of recipes, most of them were pretty similar. I think I cooked them 150f for 45 minutes. I found the ChefStep recipe which was 167 for 13 minutes. The yolks might have been a little less runny, but the whites were still pretty poachy. When I get home I want to throw a couple in at a higher temp and see what works. Maybe someone here has done it and can give me magic number. I'd like an egg you can pick up and eat with your hand, but where the inside is still very runny. Both ways I made them they came out way too soft to pick up and eat,

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
For anyone here who's Sous Vide eggs. A few days ago I tried making some soft boiled. I followed the directions in my Anova app, they came out way more on the poached side, not bad at all just not what I wanted to make. So I Googled and found a bunch of recipes, most of them were pretty similar. I think I cooked them 150f for 45 minutes. I found the ChefStep recipe which was 167 for 13 minutes. The yolks might have been a little less runny, but the whites were still pretty poachy. When I get home I want to throw a couple in at a higher temp and see what works. Maybe someone here has done it and can give me magic number. I'd like an egg you can pick up and eat with your hand, but where the inside is still very runny. Both ways I made them they came out way too soft to pick up and eat,

It mostly boils down (haha) to experimentation to get it exactly where you like it. But once you nail it, make sure to write it down so that you can replicate it perfectly every single time! And you'll find really interesting things as you experiment & make discoveries & get in tune with your personal preferences...like, I really prefer hardboiling my eggs in the Instant Pot because for some magic, unknown reason, the pressure makes the shells come off a lot easier. Anyway, check out this Serious Eats article for a foundational primer:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

Lifehacker also has some interesting reading on it:

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/all-the-ways-to-sous-vide-eggs-ranked-1754844453

I really like to dig into the process behind getting exact results, because when I get in the mood for something, I want it to be GOOD, and with traditional cooking, unless you have the skill down pat, it can be hard to replicate that really good result every single time perfectly. I have made a lot of crummy cookies, eggs, etc. in my day lol.

I've been doing a lot of experiments with eggs between my OneTop (temperature-controlled induction cooktop), my Instant Pot, and my sous vide setup. Been doing a lot of Eggslut recipes lately (eggs brulee, the potato puree eggslut, the marbleized eggs with chives on brioche, etc.), plus been messing around with shortcut Eggs Benedict using various techniques & from-scratch recipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSPgnoMBV4Q

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/how-to-poach-eggs-easy-way-poached-breakfast-video.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/10/sous-vide-soft-poached-eggs.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/how-to-make-easy-english-muffins.html

Anyway, yeah, eggs is an ongoing research project of sorts for me. Let us know how you make out with your softboiled project, and if you figure it out, post your time/temp & pics!