I crashed my car

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICRS

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
Originally posted by: dds14u
Originally posted by: ICRS
Here are pics of an accident I got into for similar reasons (5 years ago), and I was shocked when the insurance company declared the car a total loss, saying the damage exceeded the car value of $8000. I thought it was 1 or 2 thousand tops. So don't be shocked if it is in the thousands to fix.

http://picasaweb.google.com/IC...to#5209176955521966722

Edit: Clearly my car has more damage, my point is don't underestimate the cost of the damage to the car like I did.

Looks like you probably hit a lot of under-the-hood components with that one.

If I remember right something got pushed into passenger side compartment. So their was damage under the hood.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: CasioTech
I was raised to believe that insurance is a waste of money. Generally speaking, it is. Even when they pay up, they just raise your premium so you end up losing even more in the long run.

I'd gladly pay a couple of grand out of my pocket. I save thousands just by having PIP each year. I did a few quotes for full coverage and it was rapage given my age and the car. This isn't my only car, I have a beater car and an old isuzu. I use this mainly on my days off and weekends.

In the past 5 years I probably saved over 10-12 grand alone doing PIP. If you can afford to pay your car in full go with PIP no matter what car you buy (unless it's a REALLY exotic, expensive sports car or Bentley or something)

I'm not asian and I was pulling in, braked, then hit the gas. The car is pretty twitchy and kaboom. The damage is there but it's not really noticeable in the pic. the hood is kinda messed up, the grill part and the bumper sticks out of the sides now. The car is like made of plastic probably so a lot of stuff just sprung back into place.

Jesus, what kind of driver are you when you have to spend over 2 grand a year on insurance? I don't even pay more than $1000 a year for full coverage.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Jesus, what kind of driver are you when you have to spend over 2 grand a year on insurance? I don't even pay more than $1000 a year for full coverage.

Why did you edit that you only paid $500 per year for full coverage?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
God I can't stand people who let brake dust set in on their front wheels. It bugs me to no end.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: rezinn
Hilarious. Were you texting on your cell phone, or asian?

Lollerskates, $20 says asian

This reminds me the time some old asian lady managed go thru a brick wall at my apartment complex. That is a foot high curb, 4 feet of sidewalk, 8feed of bushes and a brick wall. I'll see if i have pics...

edit:

satellite picture, zoom all the way in that white piece of wall that curves to the right is no longer there. The lady nailed it from inside of the loop and perpendicular to the car parked there.

Lawler look at the guy from NJ stereotyping drivers.

God.. everytime I see a NJ plate around here... ugh... oops I did it too.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I was raised to believe that insurance is a waste of money. Generally speaking, it is. Even when they pay up, they just raise your premium so you end up losing even more in the long run.

I'd gladly pay a couple of grand out of my pocket. I save thousands just by having PIP each year. I did a few quotes for full coverage and it was rapage given my age and the car. This isn't my only car, I have a beater car and an old isuzu. I use this mainly on my days off and weekends.

In the past 5 years I probably saved over 10-12 grand alone doing PIP. If you can afford to pay your car in full go with PIP no matter what car you buy (unless it's a REALLY exotic, expensive sports car or Bentley or something)

I'm not asian and I was pulling in, braked, then hit the gas. The car is pretty twitchy and kaboom. The damage is there but it's not really noticeable in the pic. the hood is kinda messed up, the grill part and the bumper sticks out of the sides now. The car is like made of plastic probably so a lot of stuff just sprung back into place.

It's pretty crazy for 1 car... we have 3 cars under us, including 1 full coverage, 1 teenage driver, and in NY, and pay $2k/yr.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Why did you edit that you only paid $500 per year for full coverage?

I forgot that I changed my policy for the full coverage and was using my old quotes for $500.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I was raised to believe that insurance is a waste of money. Generally speaking, it is....if you can drive.

fixed;)

Actually, I agree with you on the insurance...although Comprehensive (which is cheap, cheap, cheap), which you don't have, makes MUCH more sense than PIP. Don't have health insurance?

Originally posted by: aesthetics
I pressed on the brake and my foot slipped and hit the gas. Without further ado...

http://i270.photobucket.com/al...otech/060408_1908a.jpg

Basically there is some front damage to the bumper and hood now. Plus I scraped up the bottom. I have crappy PIP insurance so how much will this cost out of my pocket, a grand? 2 grand?

It's "adieu"
It's a French word, pfft.

Nice try, Shakespeare.

Status
Not open for further replies.