I crashed my car

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
If you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the car. Thank your lucky stars that it wasn't worst.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: CasioTech
lame jokes abound!

you accomplished you goal. I am betting there is no damage and you drove up on the curb with some boards purposely.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
I was raised to believe that insurance is a waste of money. Generally speaking, it is. Even when they pay up, they just raise your premium so you end up losing even more in the long run.

I'd gladly pay a couple of grand out of my pocket. I save thousands just by having PIP each year. I did a few quotes for full coverage and it was rapage given my age and the car. This isn't my only car, I have a beater car and an old isuzu. I use this mainly on my days off and weekends.

In the past 5 years I probably saved over 10-12 grand alone doing PIP. If you can afford to pay your car in full go with PIP no matter what car you buy (unless it's a REALLY exotic, expensive sports car or Bentley or something)

I'm not asian and I was pulling in, braked, then hit the gas. The car is pretty twitchy and kaboom. The damage is there but it's not really noticeable in the pic. the hood is kinda messed up, the grill part and the bumper sticks out of the sides now. The car is like made of plastic probably so a lot of stuff just sprung back into place.

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
I was raised to believe that insurance is a waste of money. Generally speaking, it is. Even when they pay up, they just raise your premium so you end up losing even more in the long run.

I'd gladly pay a couple of grand out of my pocket. I save thousands just by having PIP each year. I did a few quotes for full coverage and it was rapage given my age and the car. This isn't my only car, I have a beater car and an old isuzu. I use this mainly on my days off and weekends.

In the past 5 years I probably saved over 10-12 grand alone doing PIP. If you can afford to pay your car in full go with PIP no matter what car you buy (unless it's a REALLY exotic, expensive sports car or Bentley or something)

I'm not asian and I was pulling in, braked, then hit the gas. The car is pretty twitchy and kaboom. The damage is there but it's not really noticeable in the pic. the hood is kinda messed up, the grill part and the bumper sticks out of the sides now. The car is like made of plastic probably so a lot of stuff just sprung back into place.

Insurance always sounds like a waste of money if you never use it, but the one time you hit something and get footed for the bill, you'll be happy you had it.

Feb 10, 2000

This is quite possibly the dumbest advice I have ever read, particularly given what this accident says about your driving skills.

Where the hell do you live where it costs thousands per year to insure an IS?

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
If you're less than 25 and have an expensive or fast car, it costs thousands. And unless you wreck your car or someone else's and cause injuries, it is a waste of money. But that might be a good enough reason to have it.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: rezinn
Hilarious. Were you texting on your cell phone, or asian?

Lollerskates, $20 says asian

This reminds me the time some old asian lady managed go thru a brick wall at my apartment complex. That is a foot high curb, 4 feet of sidewalk, 8feed of bushes and a brick wall. I'll see if i have pics...

edit:

satellite picture, zoom all the way in that white piece of wall that curves to the right is no longer there. The lady nailed it from inside of the loop and perpendicular to the car parked there.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry, but the first thing I did when I saw that pic was LMAO :)
Secondly, how about cleaning your rims -- at least the front ones. That brake dust is hideous.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

This is quite possibly the dumbest advice I have ever read, particularly given what this accident says about your driving skills.

Where the hell do you live where it costs thousands per year to insure an IS?

Not to mention should he be in a serious accident and get sued.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: rezinn
If you're less than 25 and have an expensive or fast car, it costs thousands. And unless you wreck your car or someone else's and cause injuries, it is a waste of money. But that might be a good enough reason to have it.

No it doesn't. It costs thousands if you're a moron with a REALLY bad driving record, live in a really bad area, or just aren't shopping around. I had full coverage on a Supra when I was 17 and it was under $1000 a year in NJ, before any reforms took place to bring back the lower cost insurance carriers.

When I moved to another state with that car at age 23 with far lower average costs to insure, full coverage cost me about $700 a year.

Mind you, this is with one speeding ticket and one not-at-fault accident. You have to do a lot worse or not shop around to have it cost thousands. It's definitely not a waste of money, not when I drive around here and see a lot of expensive cars. Hitting one of those could be more than 50k in property damage if you manage to total it. Always carry appropriate limits.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
I had full coverage on a Supra when I was 17 and it was under $1000 a year

you're so full of s***. Try getting off mommy and daddy's insurance policy and see how they rip you a new one.

Like the wise man said, I am still under 25 and full coverage is thousands more. Clean record and AM NOT ASIAN!!!!

Sorry, but the first thing I did when I saw that pic was LMAO

WOW NSF4 posting in my thread?!! That hasn't happened since like, 2002.

yeah I used to clean the tires/rims everyday, then I just stopped giving a shit.

thanks for trying to get me to convert to full coverage. I don't speed, rarely use highways, NEVER tailgate anyone... I'll stick with my 10/20/10 basic crap. Or is it 10/40/10 or 20/40/20. I don't even know. Insurance companies net billions off of the 'what if' mantra.

do you guys also buy insurance on your tv's???

anyway, I may have a hookup with a body shop who can do this for less than a grand and they are all certified in whatever it is they do.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: aesthetics
I pressed on the brake and my foot slipped and hit the gas. Without further ado...

http://i270.photobucket.com/al...otech/060408_1908a.jpg

Basically there is some front damage to the bumper and hood now. Plus I scraped up the bottom. I have crappy PIP insurance so how much will this cost out of my pocket, a grand? 2 grand?

It's "adieu"
It's a French word, pfft.

Adieu and ado are both words with different meanings.

do you guys also buy insurance on your tv's???

You buy insurance for things that you can't easily afford to replace. No one wants to spend $20k+ on a new car if they total their car and are at fault, or if the other guy doesn't have insurance and can't pay up.

My wife's car was totaled, but the other guy's van was still good enough for him to drive off. If that happened to you, you'd be SOL.

ICRS

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
Here are pics of an accident I got into for similar reasons (5 years ago), and I was shocked when the insurance company declared the car a total loss, saying the damage exceeded the car value of $8000. I thought it was 1 or 2 thousand tops. So don't be shocked if it is in the thousands to fix.

http://picasaweb.google.com/IC...to#5209176955521966722

Edit: Clearly my car has more damage, my point is don't underestimate the cost of the damage to the car like I did.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I had full coverage on a Supra when I was 17 and it was under $1000 a year

you're so full of s***. Try getting off mommy and daddy's insurance policy and see how they rip you a new one.

Like the wise man said, I am still under 25 and full coverage is thousands more. Clean record and AM NOT ASIAN!!!!

I love kiddies leveraging their parents and thinking that's the way it is for everyone.

I know at 21 I was looking at buying a ZR1 corvette. They wanted $6000 or so a year and the car wasn't even new. I tried to look at a normal vette and it was still $4500.

I was paying $225 a month for my 88 Mustang GT at the time, about $3000 a year.

South Florida, good driver on my license.

Jun 19, 2004
Why is everyone assuming this twit even owns a car? He prob snapped this pic on his way to the bus stop and claimed it's his just for the attention.

dds14u

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: ICRS
Here are pics of an accident I got into for similar reasons (5 years ago), and I was shocked when the insurance company declared the car a total loss, saying the damage exceeded the car value of $8000. I thought it was 1 or 2 thousand tops. So don't be shocked if it is in the thousands to fix.

http://picasaweb.google.com/IC...to#5209176955521966722

Edit: Clearly my car has more damage, my point is don't underestimate the cost of the damage to the car like I did.

Looks like you probably hit a lot of under-the-hood components with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.